To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Taking a Break

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Taking a Break

Postby glorybee » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:53 am

Hey there, class!

No lesson this week, and no homework—I’m taking some time off until after Easter. Going to recharge my batteries, tend to some family business, and take a little vacation with my hubby.

I’ll leave you with a

Quick Take: The word ‘unique’ is very often misused. It doesn’t mean creative or interesting. It means one of a kind. You can remember this by looking at the first three letters: uni-, like unicycle (one wheel) or unicorn (one horn).

Your fingerprints are unique—there are no others like them. A snowflake is unique—no two are the same. A thing cannot be “very” unique or “really” unique; if it’s the only one, it’s just plain ol’ unique. If there’s more than one, it’s not unique.

A thing can be creative without being unique—for example, an art print, of which there may be hundreds of identical prints issued (the original would be unique).

A thing may be unique without being creative—I have a quilt made from my grandmother’s dresses that is one-of-a-kind, but the pattern is an often-used one, copied by the quilter.

In writing, a piece may be unique (in fact, most writing is) without being interesting at all.

So there you have it, until some time in April. I continue to welcome ideas for future classes—I’m not really looking for grammar or punctuation ideas, but for writing tips along the line of what we’ve done so far, which I’ll summarize here:

1. Choose interesting words, especially nouns and verbs.
2. Be careful not to overuse adjectives and adverbs.
3. Pick the correct tense for your entry, and stick to it.
4. Eliminate exclamation points in narrative—use them only in dialog, and then sparingly.
5. Write your dialog so that it sounds natural.
6. Only occasionally use words other than “said” in your dialog tags.
7. Vary your dialog tag style.
8. Think out of the box.

Keep practicing those writing skills, and have a wonderful Easter. Christ is risen--He is risen indeed!
Last edited by glorybee on Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Ackerson

PamDavis
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby PamDavis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:20 am

Have a wonderful Easter. I have learned so much from you! An Easter thought from a Sunday School teacher I once had.

"If Jesus Christ did not arise from the grave, nothing really matters. But if He did arise nothing else matters!" Amen and Amen.

Pam
With God All things are Possible!

Green Leaves
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Green Leaves » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks, Jan, I too want to add my appreciation for your class. I feel like I have learned so much from you. Now if I can just REMEMBER it!

Have a great Easter with your family and, rest up, because we expect more wonderful lessons headed our way! LOL

Carol Penhorwood
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence

A Nonny Mouse
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby A Nonny Mouse » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 am

Thanks, Jan, for all you have done for us. The classes have been wonderful. I don't know that I can measure all that I have learned, and every time I sit down to write, your lessons are what I remember.

I haven't been around the past couple of weeks because life got in the way (it does that from time to time, doesn't it?). Now that you've decided to take a break, I'll take this opportunity to get caught up with the homework! :)

Have a wonderful Easter and enjoy your family. Blessings to you!
"I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well" -- Psalms 139:14

PottersClay
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby PottersClay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Have a well-deserved rest Jann. Thanks for the classes - always so much to take in and apply!

Joan
Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire.
Let me not sink to be a clod,
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.
Amy Carmichael

Anja

Postby Anja » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:46 pm

For once, I'm NOT taking a break... so head on over to Grammar Basics for a little review and learning. Add GB to your regime... or just fill in time with me until Jan returns.
Ann Grover

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel

Return to Jan's Writing Basics