Commas (Part Five - The End)

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Commas (Part Five - The End)

Post by Anja »

Commas - Part Five

I think this is the last of commas, except for fine tuning.

I have read a few things on FW in the last few days with common comma errors. So, a little review...

Names don’t need to be set off with commas unless...

...It is a part of a DIRECT ADDRESS.

Susan, please take out the garbage.
It isn’t necessary, John, to pay me today

...The name is NONESSENTIAL information.

The dog, Lassie, chased the cat.

(Take out the information between the commas. No information is lost.)

Lassie the dog saved Timmy.

(No comma because “Lassie” is fused with “the dog.” We KNOW it’s not Lassie the elephant or Lassie the turtle.)

The dog named, Lassie, saved Timmy.

(INCORRECT. It is not DIRECT ADDRESS and it IS essential information. The test? Remove the information from between the commas. The dog named saved Timmy. This is NOT a sentence and doesn’t even make sense.)

New Comma Rule.... Usage in direct quotations.

Use commas after a direct quotation and BEFORE THE QUOTATION MARKS.

“Lassie saved Timmy,” said Mother.

Mother said, “Lassie saved Timmy.”

Use commas to set off expressions such as he said / she said when they interrupt a direct quotation.

“Timmy fell down a well,” Mother exclaimed, “and Lassie saved him.”

If the direct quotation involves two separate independent clauses (in other words, two COMPLETE sentences), use a period after he said / she said and capitalize the first word in the second sentence.

“Timmy fell down a well,” Mother exclaimed. “The dog saved him.”

If you use a tag instead of he said / she said, use a period after the direct quotation. Capitalize beginning of tag. Capitalize any further direct quotation.

“Timmy fell down a well.” Mother pulled off her apron. “The dog saved him.”

Write five sentences... using direct quotes... use some tags... interruptions.... and names.
Ann Grover Stocking

"What remains of a story after it is finished? Another story..." Eli Wiesel
AnneRene'
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by AnneRene' »

Hi Ann, is it too late for me to jump in, since I haven't participated from the first lesson?

I have gone back to the first lesson on commas and read, copied and studied. Remembering all that I've learned is my challenge. :)
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

Jump in ANY time, in ANY lesson.

Welcome!!!
Remembering all that I've learned is my challenge.
Mine, too.
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

Thank you kindly Ann.
Glad to see you back!

Glad to see Kyle, I told him, “I need your help with my computer if you aren’t too busy.”

“Let me ask you a few questions before I take a look,” Kyle said.

“Oh wait I’m sorry, I forget to mention that I just downloaded the Norton Anti-virus software through Comcast if that helps.” I interjected.

Smiling Kyle replied, “Oh yes, that makes a huge difference and may be exactly what’s wrong.”

Sitting down at my computer, “Do you have the Norton Software?” Kyle asked. I need to look at the package.”

Whew, now that I have to think about these comas, it’s challenging. :)
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

AnneRené,

The first two sentences are fine.

The next three need need commas in various places.

How would you (and any other participants) like to go about this? Should I just go ahead and show you or let you try again...?

Thanks for coming and joining in.
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

For me, probably try once and then have you correct.

I did struggle with adding and removing commas, so gonna see if what I would have done, was correct.

Be back in little while. Your in Canada, 4 hours ahead of me?
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

AnneRene' wrote:
Be back in little while. Your in Canada, 4 hours ahead of me?
I see you are in California. I am ONE hour ahead of you, on Mountain Time. However, on the weekend, I'll be with you on Pacific Time. You all change to DST, but our little corner of BC never changes their clocks.
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

Oh, good, you're only an hour ahead. My phone, under world time, said 4 hours :oops:

“Oh wait, I’m sorry, I forget to mention that I just downloaded the Norton Anti-virus software through Comcast if that helps.” I interjected.

Smiling, Kyle replied, “Oh yes, that makes a huge difference and may be exactly what’s wrong.”

Sitting down at my computer, “Do you have the Norton Software?” Kyle asked. I need to look at the package.”

I'm stumped on the third one.
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

AnneRene' wrote:Oh, good, you're only an hour ahead. My phone, under world time, said 4 hours :oops:
Well, there are parts of Canada that ARE four hours ahead, but we don't all live in Toronto! :wink:

My additions are blue. And I enlarged it because I'm.... probably older than you....

“Oh wait, I’m sorry, I forget to mention that I just downloaded the Norton Anti-virus software through Comcast if that helps.” I interjected.

“Oh, wait, I’m sorry, I forgot to mention that I just downloaded the Norton Anti-virus software through Comcast, if that helps,” I interjected.

Smiling, Kyle replied, “Oh yes, that makes a huge difference and may be exactly what’s wrong.”

Smiling, Kyle replied, “Oh, yes, that makes a huge difference and may be exactly what’s wrong.”

Sitting down at my computer, Kyle asked, “Do you have the Norton Software? I need to look at the package.”

Any wonderings about what I did?
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

Thank you Ann,

Okay, I think I've got it.

I went back and fourth with all of the corrections you made, except the coma after Oh. I didn't and wouldn't have put it in, so don't understand the reason behind it....(little pun there) :)

AND didn't catch forgot. :)

And pretty sure I am not younger than you. I actually need glasses, just for the computer.
DID I NEED THAT COMA AFTER GLASSES?
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

AnneRene' wrote:Thank you Ann,

Okay, I think I've got it.

I went back and fourth with all of the corrections you made, except the coma after Oh. I didn't and wouldn't have put it in, so don't understand the reason behind it....(little pun there) :)

AND didn't catch forgot. :)

And pretty sure I am not younger than you. I actually need glasses, just for the computer.
DID I NEED THAT COMA AFTER GLASSES?
Yes, the comma after GLASSES would be appropriate, since you are adding that phrase for emphasis. It would be as correct without it.

I dunno... I just had a birthday, and I'm in my second HALF CENTURY.

As far as "oh," see the lesson (Commas - Part TWO) on commas after interjections. (Words like oh, yes, wow, please, oops, no.)
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

Okay, I scrammbled right on over to Comas, part II and found the interjections....thank you. I need to take the time to review!

As for the half century mark, I'll be a mere 56 soon :)

btw...when the challenge is over each week, I go back to the articles I really like to see who the author is. As you already know....I absolutely and positively, loved "The Exchange". You write with a depth of warmth that I look for in my personal readings.

Talk with you again in the next round of lessons, and again, your time is so appreciated.
GreenLeaves
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by GreenLeaves »

Got you both beat, I'm 61 and not feeling the pain! LOL

For some reason, both here and in Jan's class, I'm not getting the message that there has been a new posting, even though I have checked "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Is there anyone else who is having this problem? How do you fix it?

Carol Penhorwood (The old grandma with 10 grandchildren!)

By the way, Ann, are my commas correct on that sentence?
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=45576

"God has not called me to be successful, God has called me to be faithful." Mother Teresa

"...not to advance in the spiritual life is to go back. But those who have the gale of the Holy Spirit go forward even in sleep.". Brother Lawrence
Anja
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Post by Anja »

Green Leaves wrote:Got you both beat, I'm 61 and not feeling the pain! LOL

For some reason, both here and in Jan's class, I'm not getting the message that there has been a new posting, even though I have checked "Notify me when a reply is posted".

Is there anyone else who is having this problem? How do you fix it?

By the way, Ann, are my commas correct on that sentence?
Sentence perfect!!

I'm 52... and assumed I'd be the oldster here... since I've been one of the "elder stateswomen" in several groups for MANY years.

Now I'm the baby in our local quilting group and apparently not so old here, either.

I have two granddaughters.

I could email you, Carol... and anyone else who needs a reminder, but it'd just be when I post a new lesson, not every time someone posts. Or just make this forum part of your regular "cruise" when checking forums / email / Facebook, or whatever you do.

I have a tab open to this forum and refresh each time I go online... (Along with 3-4 other tabs to sites I visit regularly.)
Ann Grover Stocking

AnneRene'

Post by AnneRene' »

Hello Miss Carol!

Yes, I also, don't get all the notifications when someone has posted, so I do what Ann suggested, cruise the forums I like. However, it is a bummer sometimes, because I get busy and forget some of the ones I want to follow.

HOWEVER, it is a good exercise in keeping my brain polished!

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”