To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Dialog #2

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:29 am

Yvonne, you can save this answer for next week, but I hope to read it then--are there times when you use a simple "Jim said" dialog tag? If not, why not?

Personally, I don't see any reason not to use "whispered"...but I'll get to that next week, too.

Seriously--no reason to apologize for exclamation points!

JudySauer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Dialog #2

Postby JudySauer » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:10 pm

“Little Josie is so adorable Judy. You must be very proud to be her grandma,” her sister Toni said.

“Yes, she is a cutie. I cannot get enough of her little giggles.”

“Let me show you what I’ve been doing. I print out every picture of Josie that Melissa posts on Facebook.”

“That’s three inches thick, Toni. You’re obsessed!”

QUESTION: Does dialog always need a personal reference, such as Judy said? OR can it be free flowing like the above when it's only two people interacting?
May you have a blessed day!

Write the vision - Habukkak 2:2

glorybee

Re: Dialog #2

Postby glorybee » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:45 pm

JudySauer wrote:“Little Josie is so adorable Judy. You must be very proud to be her grandma,” her sister Toni said.

“Yes, she is a cutie. I cannot get enough of her little giggles.”

“Let me show you what I’ve been doing. I print out every picture of Josie that Melissa posts on Facebook.”

“That’s three inches thick, Toni. You’re obsessed!”

QUESTION: Does dialog always need a personal reference, such as Judy said? OR can it be free flowing like the above when it's only two people interacting?

You hit the nail on the head, Judy. Tag less dialog is just fine, especially when you want good quick pacing. This is a good example of that very thing.

Previous

Return to Jan's Writing Basics