To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

FaithWriters For Kids

Stop here to see any important announcements regarding FaithWriters.

Moderators: itsjoanne, RedBaron

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:25 am

yup

Sparrow wrote:
Daydreamer wrote:There should be a criteria for being eligible to "mentor" one of the kids.

Yes! And of course the parents would have to okay the match, too.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Kiwigirl
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Kiwigirl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:43 am

I love the logo - and I'm not a one for visuals. I say again - I LOVE the logo! :D I want it for me. :P

slindsay

Postby slindsay » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:09 pm

I am really not sure how we could ever have an adult mentor program and I am not even sure how it would work. I would need specifics on how this should work to get a clearer picture of this.

Since we are dealing with children it would be a very difficult task to monitor this. Who would do the matching? What would the mentor do exactly? Shouldn't the parent be the child's mentor although I do realize that some parents may not be writers. Just some thoughts as I do not see how this would work! :D

God Bless and thank you for your suggestions.
Scott

INeedANewMan

Postby INeedANewMan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:51 pm

This looks SOOOO great! I love it! My kids are still too young, but some day...

I noticed a couple of things on the main page: The heading "Do you like to read?" - was that meant to say "Do you like to write?" - because there's nothing about reading in that section. And in the "how to join" section, there should be an apostrophe in the sentence You may want to get your parents help - I would put it before the S in parents, since they'd really only need one parent's help.

So there are my suggestions. This is a great site, though, and an exciting step for the whole faithwriters family!
I don't actually need a new man. It's just my name. Anita Neuman.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:42 pm

Maybe if regular FW members could sign up to review the kids work on the site, leaving comments, rather than a 1-1 relationship. That way everything is public and monitored?

slindsay wrote:I am really not sure how we could ever have an adult mentor program and I am not even sure how it would work. I would need specifics on how this should work to get a clearer picture of this.

Since we are dealing with children it would be a very difficult task to monitor this. Who would do the matching? What would the mentor do exactly? Shouldn't the parent be the child's mentor although I do realize that some parents may not be writers. Just some thoughts as I do not see how this would work! :D

God Bless and thank you for your suggestions.
Scott
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:00 pm

slindsay wrote:I am really not sure how we could ever have an adult mentor program and I am not even sure how it would work.

Perhaps this is just something to keep in mind, that we may want to try sometime down the road. :)

But to go ahead and answer your questions with my own ideas...
slindsay wrote:Since we are dealing with children it would be a very difficult task to monitor this. Who would do the matching?

The children and adutls could put in "applications" for the mentoring. You could have a couple volenteers (like myself) who would read them and match a child with an adult.

slindsay wrote:What would the mentor do exactly? Shouldn't the parent be the child's mentor although I do realize that some parents may not be writers.

They would give the child writing hints, encourage them in their writing, answer writing questions...

I know for me personally, my family is very supportive in giving me encouragment and constructive critizism, but I really value getting outside feedback.

Anyway, it might not work or be a terribly practical or helpful idea. ;) I just thouht I'd throw it out there. :)

Amy
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:02 am

It's great to see the site up and running.

With the mentoring, I personally don't think that's a great idea. The reason is that this site is for fun, and for kids (with perhaps one or two adults overseeing things to pick the themes for the week, etc).

The idea is to stir a love of writing in children and let their imaginations flow. Given the opportunity, it should allow their creativity to develop naturally. Hopefully, if they have that spark and love for writing, then they will be getting guidance from their teachers at school (which is why it will be fantastic if teachers use this as a tool.)

The big plus for FaithWriters for Kids is that other kids can read their stories and select encouraging feedback to leave. Peer to peer.

Amy, I think it was you who asked if the weekly topics were going to be the same as the adult ones. The answer to that is no. They are child-specific, and more of an imagination starter, rather than a one word prompt.

Also, the aim with FaithWriters for Kids was to keep it simple. Of course, it probably will evolve as time goes by, but the main thing is to keep it simple--child's play, in fact. :wink:

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

kspil

Postby kspil » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:20 pm

I am as excited as my kids to see this site up and running. It will give me a good chance to help them develop a love for writing and reading. They are both extremely good readers, but their writing skills are lacking. Jeffrey is more your creative writer and has a very good imagination, while Kayla tends to use characters and people she reads about in books or sees on TV to "play out" various stories. I just had them tell me what they wanted to write about and it was amazing the difference between the 2 of them. Kayla had this princess theme going and Jeffrey put himself into the story. I can't wait to read what they write. They are going to Grammy's for a couple days and their assignment (homeschooling moms can get away with that) is to write their friendship stories out sometime while they are there. I am anxious to see what they write. The great part is that we just got veggietales "Sheerluck Holms and the Golden Ruler" and it is about friendship and what it means. What a great topic for this week since they will most likely watch it at least once a day all week. Anyway I am off topic here and I need to get back on topic.
I agree with Deb about peer to peer feedback. Kayla is extremely shy (Not anything like her mom in that regard) and I'm hoping that maybe she can develop some online friends through this because it isn't "face to face contact". (It worked for her dad and his gaming clan).

alfthecat
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Postby alfthecat » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:01 pm

This has been a long time coming!!!

> The big plus for FaithWriters for Kids is that other kids can read their stories and select encouraging feedback to leave. Peer to peer.

I was concerned about comments being left (kids are sometimes blunt in their comments). Appears they can select a note from a list.

Deb, there are many adult FW members that really want to see this site succeed! How can we help?
Jim

Better to attempt something and fail than to attempt nothing and succeed.

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:42 pm

Jim, the concern about public feedback was a big one, which was why we went for the list of options. It is much safer that way. If someone wants to say a little more, they can always send the child an actual message.

We have two moderators now, and they are both wonderful with children. They'll be providing that very encouraging, loving adult presence in the background.

As for adults helping support this site, the best way you can do that is let people know. If your children go to a Christian school, let the teachers know. If you are a part of a homeschooling network, let other parents know. Let your children's Sunday school know. Word of mouth will be really important.

Love, Deb

Sparrow

Postby Sparrow » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:03 pm

breathfreshair wrote:With the mentoring, I personally don't think that's a great idea. The reason is that this site is for fun, and for kids.

That makes sense, Deb. Thanks! :)

Word of mouth will be really important.

Oooo, I'll let the local homeschool newsletter know, and a church or two, too! :D
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight

AllOfGrace
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby AllOfGrace » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:08 am

I would never let my children be mentored by another adult on the internet. Danger, danger!!

I love FW for Kids! My children love it too. I've already mentioned this to Scott, but my children have never been more encouraged to write. This site is better than any textbook.

What a great idea!
“Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell;
I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of he ll." - C. T. Studd

Crista

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:25 am

Yeah - I didn't think about that, but should have. The teacher in me was wanting to work with the kids. If Eileen were old enough, I probably wouldn't want that either.

All Of Grace wrote:I would never let my children be mentored by another adult on the internet. Danger, danger!!

I love FW for Kids! My children love it too. I've already mentioned this to Scott, but my children have never been more encouraged to write. This site is better than any textbook.

What a great idea!
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:20 am

Crista, that is so encouraging to hear, and I know that Scott would be thrilled to know that too. I believe that, in time, FaithWriters for Kids is going to be huge.

As for the mentoring, it's not going to happen. The moderators are encouraging the kids, but the kids are encouraging the kids, and that's the most important thing of all.

When we have the first front page story on Monday (from the normal submissions), then the kids will really start to get excited. From the following week the front page will come from the weekly topic, and will be another pat on the back to the children.

It's all good.

Love, Deb

Debboggy

Postby Debboggy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:02 am

I finally got Jonathan interested. I thought he would be excited, but for some reason hasn't shown an interest, now that there's finally a site just for his age.

This afternoon, he told a joke, so I asked him if he'd like to post it. He said yes and ended up starting to write a story too! Of course about two or three sentences into it, he deleted the whole thing, saying it was all wrong, but at least he's set up with an account and trying. :)

So you wanna hear his joke?

Ok

Question: What gymnastics does a banana do?

Answer: Banana splits.

I'd never heard it before, so I hope he actually made it up.
Last edited by Debboggy on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Debbie~

PreviousNext

Return to Important Announcements from FaithWriters