Page Turner 2009 Roll Call

Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

Unless God takes me home first, I'm in!
48%
Probably, so long as my first chapter doesn't stink on ice.
34%
Maybe, if God strikes me with a workable idea before then.
17%
Probably not; fiction isn't my forte.
No votes
No, unless God uses tablets of stone to command me to enter.
No votes

Total votes: 29

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

itsjoanne wrote:But DDEEEBBBBB!!! I NEED that deadline!!!!! I MAY just pretend you didn't say that. Lalalala la LAAAALLAAA -I can't HEAR you!! :D
Jo, you are SO funny. :rolling

Okay, there's a deadline JUST for you. I'll get the whip out, so you'd jolly well better get writing NOW ... do you hear me? Get back there and start pounding keys until it hurts. I want pain. Hit the floor and give me 40 paragraphs.

(Happy now?)

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

BreathFreshAir wrote:
(Happy now?)
Yup :P
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Very happy to report that the first Page Turner entry file is now sorted out and safely tucked away in my files (and on external hard drive as well--just in case). Phew.

So one in ... and just over nine months to go.

Love, Deb
Deb

violin4jesus
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by violin4jesus »

I put in my vote earlier, but didn't add a note....I plan to enter and work on the novel I started during NaNo....which didn't get past the first few chapters cause I ended up with a boyfriend instead!

But I do have nine months, right? That does make it workable. :)
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

violin4jesus wrote:I put in my vote earlier, but didn't add a note....I plan to enter and work on the novel I started during NaNo....which didn't get past the first few chapters cause I ended up with a boyfriend instead!

But I do have nine months, right? That does make it workable. :)
Ohhh - tough one!

Boyfriend - Book? hehe good thing you can have BOTH! - and ALSO good you don't have to have the whole thing written anyway - just that first polished chapter. TRUST me - when I submitted my entry I truly ONLY had the first chapter written - and look how I did!
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
Dee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Dee »

I voted probably...I still have to finish my NaNo novel, but it IS nearly all finished. How much do we need to submit? (I'm being lazy here...I could just go read the rules, right? :mrgreen: )
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

LOL @ Dee. Yes you could, but I'll tell you. You only need to submit a brief synopsis that gives the planned overview of the story, and the first chapter. If the chapters are very short (about 4 or 5 pages), then you can submit two chapters (trying to be fair). If you have an introduction to the story or prologue, and the chapter won't make any sense without it, then that can be submitted too.

Does that help?

Love, Deb
Deb

Dee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Dee »

BreathFreshAir wrote:LOL @ Dee. Yes you could, but I'll tell you. You only need to submit a brief synopsis that gives the planned overview of the story, and the first chapter. If the chapters are very short (about 4 or 5 pages), then you can submit two chapters (trying to be fair). If you have an introduction to the story or prologue, and the chapter won't make any sense without it, then that can be submitted too.

Does that help?

Love, Deb
Oh yes, that helps immensely! :hugs2 And it also helps my lazy bones...thanks for being kind! :mrgreen: I think I may be able to enter very soon, in that case. How exciting! :superhappy
impeej
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by impeej »

I'll be there! :mrgreen:

(and Joanne, get back to work, girl! Or I'll hafta get out that wet noodle!!) :wink: (and Dee, that goes for you, too, Sweetums!)
:heehee
Patty Wysong
My Blog: Patterings
Jewels of Encouragement A group devotional blog of Faithwriters!
The Barn Door
Facebook
“Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.” --Will Rogers
Dee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Dee »

impeej wrote:I'll be there! :mrgreen:

(and Joanne, get back to work, girl! Or I'll hafta get out that wet noodle!!) :wink: (and Dee, that goes for you, too, Sweetums!)
:heehee
Yes, Ma'am! Don't want a "wet noodle" floggin', for sure! :shocked
Kristen Hester
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kristen Hester »

A year ago I would have said DEFINITELY. I had been working on a fiction novel and was excited about it. However, after setting it aside for a while, I'm not so thrilled by it any longer. Since I saw the announcement of this year's contest, I've been turning some ideas over in my head when I'm driving (one of the only times I can sit still and just "think.") IF I get an inspiration and WHEN things slow down, I would maybe really love to begin working on something and then, depending on how it goes, enter. Definitely. Maybe. For sure. Perhaps.

Does that answer your question?

My Profile

Teach your child like he will be here forever but love your child like it is his last day.
Dee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Dee »

Kristen Hester wrote:A year ago I would have said DEFINITELY. I had been working on a fiction novel and was excited about it. However, after setting it aside for a while, I'm not so thrilled by it any longer. Since I saw the announcement of this year's contest, I've been turning some ideas over in my head when I'm driving (one of the only times I can sit still and just "think.") IF I get an inspiration and WHEN things slow down, I would maybe really love to begin working on something and then, depending on how it goes, enter. Definitely. Maybe. For sure. Perhaps.

Does that answer your question?
:mrgreen: And I'd be in the same boat if I didn't already have my NaNo project sitting here staring at me. Even with that, I'm burning daylight. :roll:
Debboggy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Debboggy »

The page turner contest has gotten me to return to my now two year old NaNo novel, thinking...maybe...I have over 50,000 words on it, but the first chapter isn't exactly my favorite part. In fact, it was the most complicated and hardest part of the whole thing. The idea of submitting it alone with a synopsis has made me really look at it from a readers perspective and question whether it would keep me reading or not, so that in itself is a good thing.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

I just LOVE the Page Turner contest. Anything that stirs people to write that novel, or dig out an old one and re-work it, is a great thing. When I read posts like Debboggy's, it absolutely tickles me pink. :D

Love, Deb
Deb

ThreeDee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by ThreeDee »

Here's a question.... do you think it's more important to have a killer first chapter (and hopefully the rest of the novel is good too) or have a well written proposal, etc.?

Do I need to work more on my marketing skills to get published and win contests? Or can I just rely on my writing skills (assuming I have them :wink: )

What do y'all think?

Di Dart

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”