To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Southern Porch Extension

A place for general chat (non-writing related). Please keep political discussions to the relevant neighborhood forum.

Moderators: cori67, RedBaron, Shann

Evensong
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Evensong » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:17 pm

heehee :mrgreen: ....Hey....they can't keep the good ole southern porch folk down, can they! :wink: "The South will ri-i-ise ag'in!!" And we have! :heehee

Looks like the little critters are asleep, Mariane ...must've been a busy day for the pups!! :wink:
Blessings, Linda Owen
“...We have seen His glory....” John 1:14 (NIV)

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=8963

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:27 pm

they were so cute earlier, Linda, yipping and yapping and biting each others ears and climbing all over each other. I have 3 live cams of different breeds of dogs that I keep on my screen all the time and they bring me so much laughter and joy. :love2

I'm so glad you finally got on the porch extension. When our main porch is repaired, we'll probably want to return to it, don't you think? There is so much archived there that we would want to return to. I wonder how we can shut this one down at that time. Any ideas? Or could we just leave a message saying our porch was repaired and direct people back to it? :typing2 :?:

Are you going to try to enter the challenge on the USA? There's such a lot that can be written about it. I wish I could get a fire lit under me so I could start writing again. :shiney2
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Very quick pop in. I haven't read posts yet, but just saw this. How cool! I've been gone all afternoon, so have some things to do in the house before I can really play on here. Will catch up on the reading and be back in a while.
I'm Bound for the Promised Land

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:53 pm

How about a nice piece of Southern pecan pie? Did anyone bring any to the porch party?

I brought some French vanilla ice cream that will work with that pie. Ymmm!

:party :rockon :music2

When do we get to hear Dub's banjo? Does he sing too?

Don
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

Edy

Postby Edy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:33 pm

BeachGrandma, I think you cheated with those puppy photos. Those are somebody else's pups. Old Blue's lot has much more variety in colors, sizes and shapes. Of course, Mariane is just being cautious, hiding the real babies to protect them from cyber-swipers. 8)

You said to bring goodies, so I invited the snowbirds from the entire MN Nice forum. Hope that was okay. I forgot to tell them they should bring stuff to feed the dogs (cause I don't think you meant you would feed my "goodies" to the dogs!) Yikes!

I knew you wouldn't want me to bring the lutefisk. But, I'm sure you'll like my last loaf of julekaga and a big batch of Edy's Famous Fudge (with a hint of raspberry flavor). Mmmmmm! Goes good with Bible study, too.
"Jesus Never Fails!" Love, Edy
The Gospel is such Good News even Christians don't believe it!
The Power of Story
We are the third temple! Acts 7:48, 1 Peter 2:4-5
Essentially Lutheran
My StoriesMy Blog:The Prairie Nightingale

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:50 pm

Did someone say FUDGE??? and RASPBERRY flavor??? YUM! :mrgreen: Actually, my sweet little daughter in law has a pecan pie in the oven right now as I'm typing. We're here in Nashville for a few days..Randy's at the evangelism convention over at the Opry Mills area and I'm enjoying our 'kids' tonight. I'll see if Bev will share her pie with the southern porch gang :wink: I'm sure she'll be willing but wrenching it away from our son will be the feat of the evening! haha! :lol: (can you believe he wanted pecan pie at 9:00 at night! :heehee
Blessings, Linda Owen

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:58 pm

What fun! The party is in full swing now. I hope y'all like guacamole and tortilla chips. I brought extra chips to feed Ole Blue. He's been such a good boy waiting on us to return that he deserves a treat.

And I just happen to have some cherry cobbler here, too. I just took it out of the oven (seriously). It goes great with pecan pie and fudge.

I was singing, but I see I'm making Ole Blue howl. Instead, let's have devotions.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:59 pm

I'd love some fudge right now. Yummmm.

I've never had pecan pie. Is it really rich? Does it go well with chocolate?

Okay, so I just had two boring pieces of toast and strawberry jam (jelly for you all) for lunch, so not surprised all this talk of fudge and pies is getting my mouth watering.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:07 pm

Haha...Deb, if you eat chocolate and pecan pie at the same time you'll have to borrow some insulin to subdue the sugar! :lol: ....although...I have actually eaten a piece of chocolate infused pecan pie...but that's just not 'Suthun' at all! :mrgreen: But for you, dear Deb....we'll fix it any way you want it when you come!!! 'Suthun' hospitality knows no bounds!! :grouphug3
Blessings, Linda Owen

raineysangel
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby raineysangel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey ya'll. I'd started reading in the other porch, sitting quietly and enjoying the conversation. This new one seems like another great place to enjoy.

There is this one pecan pie I've enjoyed at other get-togethers that has chocolate chips added. It is fabulous. I've got that recipe around here somewhere. Will have to whip some up real soon.

Dub, the scripture you gave is one of my favorites.
Teresa
HerWhitewashedHeart
At My Table

"But kids like us grow up and need our own relationship with God, forged in the heart through time and experience, not draped around us by the church we attend. We need to know God for ourselves, not secondhand." Frank Peretti from his introduction in The Visitation.

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:12 pm

And Mariane...we'll just be extra careful and not say anything worth saving in this thread OK? You got that folks? Everything in this thread has to be worthless! :heehee :rolling
Blessings, Linda Owen

BettyDee

Postby BettyDee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:13 pm

BreathFreshAir wrote:I'd love some fudge right now. Yummmm.

I've never had pecan pie. Is it really rich? Does it go well with chocolate?

Okay, so I just had two boring pieces of toast and strawberry jam (jelly for you all) for lunch, so not surprised all this talk of fudge and pies is getting my mouth watering.

Love, Deb

But Deb, *everything* goes with chocolate.

And is it all jam in Australia? Just curious, because we have jam here, too, but it's not smooth like jelly. Jelly is made just from the juice of the fruit, jam has juice and pulp. Preserves have chunks or sometimes even whole pieces of fruit.

Just a li'l side note: The pecan tree is the state tree of Texas. We make a mean pecan pie here in Texas. And yes, it's quite rich.

Evensong

Postby Evensong » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 pm

Yep, pecan pie is so rich it makes Donald Trump jealous!! :mrgreen: :wink:

Teresa, if you post that great recipe be sure to leave something out of it...remember...this thread has to remain worthless :mrgreen: .
Blessings, Linda Owen

BeachGrandma

Postby BeachGrandma » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:22 pm

You have to know I love you all since I just brought in a whole new tin of Williams Sonoma Peppermint bark and a big ole box of Littlejohn's Almond bark which I keep in the freezer! They're both so good that I reordered twice and now I have zits! I haven't had zits since 10th grade when I sat across from Ben Franklin. But I'm happy to share them but make sure that Ole Blue and the puppies don't get any because chocolate is the worst thing on earth for doggies.

Edy, about the puppies. I ummmmmmm changed our minds about the breed. We had talked about several but these babies are so cute when they're awake that I didn't think you'd mind.

And we LOVE having Minnesota Nice people here! You're all our buddies anyway! I'd love to see all of you stay. We have great birthday parties, too. I just noticed that Deb's birthday is January 23! That's the day I get to tape 24 hours of the old Randolph Scott westerns from the Dish Network's western station. I can't wait. Now to get Deb to drop by! hmmmmm

Love you sweet thangs!
"I long, O I long to be holy, conformed to His will and His Word.
I long to be gentle and Christ-like; I long to be just like my Lord."

Mariane Holbrook

ready2go

Postby ready2go » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:39 pm

I found this and thought I'd share it with y'all...

Don

Dear Lord,

Thank you for this sink of dirty dishes; we have plenty of food to eat.

Thank you for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry; we have plenty of nice clothes to wear.

And I would like to thank you, Lord, for those unmade beds; they were so warm and comfortable last night. I know that many have no bed.

My thanks to you, Lord, for this bathroom, complete with all the splattered mess, soggy, grimy towels and the dirty lavatory; they are all so convenient.

Thank you for this finger-smudged refrigerator that needs defrosting so badly; it has served us faithfully for many years. It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three meals.

Thank you, Lord, for this oven that absolutely must be cleaned today; it has baked so many things over the years.

The whole family is grateful for that tall grass that needs mowing and lawn that needs raking; we all enjoy the yard.

Thank you, Lord, even for that slamming screen door. My kids are healthy and able to run and play. Many children cannot.

Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me says You have richly blessed my family. I shall do them cheerfully and I shall do them gratefully.

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when the alarm rings... Thank you, Lord, that I can hear. There are many who are deaf.

Even though I keep my eyes closed against the morning light as long as possible...Thank you, Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.

Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising...Thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise. There are many who are bedridden.

Even though the first hour of my day is hectic with socks that are lost, toast that is burned, tempers that are short, and my children that are so loud...Thank you, Lord, for my family. There are many who are lonely.

Even though our breakfast table never looks like the pictures in magazines and the menu is at times not balanced...Thank you, Lord, for the food we have. There are many who are hungry.

Even though the routine of my job is often monotonous...Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work. There are many who are jobless.

Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from day to day and wish my circumstances were not so modest...Thank you, Lord, for life.

Author Unknown
John 14:6
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

"My Journey To Jesus"
http://faithwriters.com/article-details.php?id=41225

http://faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=18654

"The Israel Connection"
http://theisraelconnection.blogspot.com/

"I have a story to tell...the saving gospel to share...and the fire of the Holy Spirit burning deep within my soul."

PreviousNext

Return to The Water Cooler