To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

metaphor

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

CatLin
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

metaphor

Postby CatLin » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm so honored you chose my metaphor as an example, Jan! The funny thing is, I didn't know I was writing a metaphor! I was just writing. :lol:

So, now I feel pressure - and when I try to write a metaphor, it's much harder. I kept writing similes. :roll:

My homework:

The ice cubes attached to my frigid hands rattled on the keyboard.

I peered into the dark of my lion's den and made out the book on the coffee table. As I groped for it, I wondered again why likes to keep the lights so dim.

The canopy of live oaks enveloped the path in a warm hug.

No links, but a couple of examples (I think) that I found:

From my poem "What Good" - referring to the Word...

what good is Its Breath
if the Life It bestows
is neglected
starved
smothered
before It grows wings?

From "Little Pitchers Have Big Ears"...

Jeff’s eyes shot toward the window, and he saw his son’s ashen face, a full moon glowing in the darkening room.
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)

havah

Postby havah » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:19 pm

I loved that last metaphor, Soren. Very realistic.
Look to the Son, and the shadows will fall behind. (unknown)
**Disclaimer: I am semantically challenged. Don't hold it against me ;)
"havah, the learner" -- Soren2007

lthomas
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lthomas » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm

I've been absent from class for a while; and hope I can drop in. I feel a bit rusty, but here goes my assignment.

Loren

He did he not remember owning a parrot, nor know how it had learn to talk. But there he was, in the corner of the darken room, endlessly squawking, “Guilty. Guilty. Guilty.” He covered his ears, but the words now turned to screeching, would not go away.

See that darkened lamp over there. It is not faulty or damaged; it is simply unplugged. Your potential to shine is like that to God. He simply needs you to plug into his power.

Words snip the ropes that bind our senses. Finally untethered, our eyes see beyond the horizon, our grasp at last able to exceed our reach, unheard music plays sweetly in our ears, our nostrils are constantly filled with the scent of the seasons, and the taste of eternity rests upon our tongues
"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." From "As You Like It." Wm. Shakespeare.

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:49 pm

Verna, what gorgeous imagery! Thanks so much for sharing it!
Jan Ackerson

Return to Jan's Writing Basics