To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

hyperbole

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

hyperbole

Postby glorybee » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:44 pm

Ha, ha, Karen. I just laughed so hard that they gave me a diploma from Clown College.
Jan Ackerson

Chely
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Chely » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:29 pm

You know, it's funny. I can't find any solid hyperbole in any of my fiction pieces, but it's all over my non-fiction. I guess that shows the real me, huh?

This is an edited excerpt from a blog post about one of my twins having the flu, and the ensuing ER trip (I'm sorry Teach, it's a bit over the word limit...I wanted to keep the context, and it's DRIPPING with hyperbole [in bold].)

Regretfully, in the medical field, everyone has a chronic case of cover-my-own-butt-itis. So I was sent to Children’s Hospital.

My first inner alarm was a check-in station worthy of the TSA. I had my diaper bag and stroller searched for weapons before I could go through the metal detector. [Side note: I am not a wienie…BUT I felt vulnerable there by myself, at night, with a very sick baby that I would absolutely go mama bear freakazoid crazy on your butt if you mess with her!]

My second red flag was the packed waiting room. You could not find a seat more than two feet away from some version of the plague. I was an extra in the movie “Outbreak”. I spent a fort night in that petri dish before we were called back...

I would have to say that the hyperbole was used to convey my voice, albeit a very frustrated one (which sets the tone and atmosphere)...

Return to Jan's Writing Basics