To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

free verse

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

free verse

Postby glorybee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:23 am

Joanne--

Thanks for the link--I loved reading that poem again.

Well--by one of my "tests", it might be considered "artfully arranged prose" in that each stanza could be a perfectly grammatical sentence, and the poem as a whole could be a lovely little descriptive paragraph.

BUT...if you'd entered it as a little paragraph, I'd probably have called it "lyrical" or "almost poetic" becuase it really does have a lot of great "stuff" in it--repetition, a wonderful coined word (boymade), superb imagery, personification...

I guess I should have added to my "could it be a paragraph?" test, and said something like "would it be a fairly ordinary paragraph?" And this is far from ordinary...

In my book, it's a great little free verse poem, Joanne.
Jan Ackerson

GShuler
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby GShuler » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:01 am

Free verse for the bug crew:

Bugs

Six legs make you
squimish.
Eight legs make you
scream.
I laugh beneath your
pillow
with my thousand legs.
I had something really memorable to write here but I forgot what it was.
Gerald Shuler

hwnj
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby hwnj » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:25 pm

Well it looks like my assertion that free verse does not lend itself to light verse/humor has been utterly blown out of the water.
:D
Holly

"There are two ways of spreading light -- to be the candle, or the mirror that reflects it." Edith Wharton

'It is better to be liked for the true you, than to be loved for who people think you are.'

"In order to realize the worth of the anchor, one needs to feel the stress of the storm." Daily Encouragement Net (Stephen & Brooksyne Weber)

My Profile

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:58 pm

Betsy, after reading those two pieces (and several of your other entries), you're rapidly moving up my list of awesome writers.

As to those poems--as I've said before, I'm hardly an expert on free verse, but I'd say that they definitely qualify. Even if they're not packed with poetry "tricks", they are both packed with emotion, and with deliberate word choice. Especially in the second one--you just wouldn't write prose that way. And the first one practically demands to be written in a way that challenges the reader a bit, takes her out of her comfort zone, so that she feels--just a teensy bit--what your narrator feels.

Great examples of free verse, Betsy. Thanks so much for posting them here!
Jan Ackerson

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Anne, wonderful work here--I love the extended metaphor of the plough! So glad you stopped by to share your poetry!
Jan Ackerson

Return to Jan's Writing Basics