To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

enjambment

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

enjambment

Postby glorybee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:45 am

Thanks, Verna! That poem has enjambment in nearly every stanza. I really like this one:

Yet when her cousin, Mary, came
To share her promised joy,
Her infant leapt inside her womb
For Mary’s Baby Boy.

Hey, y'all, another note, not just for this poem, but for all rhymed poetry that features enjambment. I mentioned this a bit when I mentioned Holly's poem, and although this is a class on writing, not dramatic reading, it's a pet peeve of mine, so...

If you ever have opportunity to read a rhymed poem aloud, resist the temptation to pause at the end of every line. Or if you must pause, do so for just a tenth of a second, and barrel through--if the line is enjambed. That shows that you're reading for the meaning of the poem, which after all is more important than the rhythm.
Jan Ackerson

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:29 pm

itsjoanne wrote:
Verna wrote:Oh Jan, that was a soapbox of mine for so many years. I would tell my students to read to the punctuation. You haven't lived till you've heard a Shakespeare play read aloud by eighth graders who think all poetry should be read:
Da dum da dum da dum da dum da dum
Da dum da dum da dum da dum da dum
ad infinitum.

I've heard it from 9th graders - does that count? ;)

Yes, it counts! Grasp those 9th graders firmly by the ears and tell them to stop it, immediately!
Jan Ackerson

Return to Jan's Writing Basics