Questions

Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

kspil
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Questions

Post by kspil »

I was just wondering how the final entry should be marginated (if that is a word) and if it should be in an easy to read forum (with spaces between dialogue and such) or does it matter.

I find it easier to edit and read on a computer screen with the spaces between, so I may need to reformat before I can submit.

It is not ready yet, but the questions are still there.

We are allowed to get others opinions on it, right?

If we are, I plan on bringing my first chapter to my sister and mom to ask them what they think. I may let dad read it to.

I already asked about chapters but didn't get an answer. Approximately how long is a chapter for a novel or novella supposed to be. Or is it to the author's perspective.

Okay so I have a lot of questions. Forgive me, this whole editing and entering writing contests (except the challenges) is new to me and I'm a little nervous.
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

To be nice to the readers, it probably would be a help to leave a space between paragraphs and dialogue (same as we would here for articles and Challenge entries). But there's no real rule.

Please do feel free to get opinions. No problem at all. Like I said, this isn't the Challenge. So, if you are able, get that first chapter honed to perfection.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Kiwigirl
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Kiwigirl »

Deb, can I suggest that there are rules made for submission.

For instance, the submission should come with a cover page with the author's name on it but it should not be anywhere else on the manuscript. Standard practise when submitting a manuscript to a publisher is to put a header on each page (top right corner) with the title, author and often includes contact details)

Standard practise also calls for the submission to have page numbers so that if a page should go astray then it can be looked for. At least the reader will know (in the unlikely event of a missing page) that there is a loss of page rather than a huge leap in the mind of the writer.

Standard practise also calls for the submission to be at least 1.5 spaced, but often double-spaced with wide margins. Whether there is a double space between paragraphs or an indentation of the first line of a paragraph doesn't seem to make much difference so long as it is consistent.

I know that the judges are reading primarily for content but if there aren't some fairly specific guidelines put in place I can well see that there will be all manner of unwieldy submissions sent, including those which are one long uninterrupted paragraph.

Of course, one could always argue that the judge could reformat the document to suit their preference, but really, why should he/she?

Just my thoughts on a hot summer's day.
Writetrack
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by Writetrack »

I understand what you are saying, Christine.

My novel is being written in Word and is manuscript formatted, with double spacing and indented paragraphs. When entering the contest, am I to change formatting to the same way I do for the challenges? Single spaced with double spaces between paragraphs? This makes easier electronic reading but is not normal book ms submission procedure.

According to the submission form, we upload our chapter. So when it comes across, you'll get it exactly as it appears in Word, right? Double spaced like a regular manuscript? Would this mess up the formatting, do you think? I just want the judges to be able to read my submission clearly, as they would a normal book manuscript.

I guess it would be different if FW were also publishing the ms, which they are not. Then they might want it submitted in a particular way. But this is only a reading contest, so I suppose it doesn't matter how it's submitted.

Just clarifying.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

The format doesn't matter Lynda, but I have a feeling that it might be best copying and pasting it into the submission box--much the same as the Challenge, or a plain text file.

If you want to run a test, upload something and I'll check. Just let me know.

Love, Deb
Deb

Writetrack
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by Writetrack »

Deb,

The only box in which we can copy and paste is the Synopsis box and that has a maximum of 500 words.

The submission box says "upload your entry here" and has a browse button for searching for the file to attach.

:?:
kspil
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by kspil »

Sorry to bring up so many questions, but I had to ask.
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

That's fine then Lynda. Just upload a file. If there are problems with formatting, I'll let the authors know.

Love, Deb
Deb

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I don't think it's a problem.
debjimo wrote:My novel is based on a challenge entry that placed and was published in a FW anthology. I'd love to enter it in this contest, but I wondered if the challenge entry being published would disqualify it. Obviously, the novel is going to be different, longer and much more detailed than the challenge entry and it has not been published.

Is that okay?
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

Debbie, the novel itself hasn't been published, so that's fine.

Love, Deb
Deb

debjimo
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by debjimo »

Thanks! :D
Debbie O'Connor

My Faithwriter's Profile: