To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

WINNERS ARE HERE! Whats in Your Pocket?

This forum is reserved for member articles being submitted for specific blogging contests.

Moderator: mikeedwards

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

WINNERS ARE HERE! Whats in Your Pocket?

Postby mikeedwards » Wed May 14, 2014 4:04 pm

Thanks to all who entered. :thankssign

We have our winners as chosen by PTL.

1) Winner of two paid writing assignments for the Pocket Testament League along with her article being posted on 100 Christian blogs.

Listening to the Savior's Heartbeat - By Marty Wellington

“There was reclining on Jesus' breast one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.” (John 13:23 NASB)

The disciple John, a young fisherman from Judea, made a life-changing decision when he decided to follow Jesus. He partnered with his brother James in this endeavor – forsaking his past, to strike out upon a new path – a path of trust, a journey of love, a discovery of redemption, peace and forgiveness. His young heart was eager and teachable, his spirit open to God, his heart willing to grow and serve.

As his journey progressed as a follower of the Rabbi, he listened, he questioned, he learned, he prepared and he remained faithful to the calling he had received from his Messiah.

John was known as the “Evangelist” and appropriately so as his life exhibited a commitment to learning, compassion for others and an intimacy with his Savior. He heard his Savior's heartbeat. He reclined at table with him during the Last Supper, and he never forgot the lessons he learned. He received free evangelism training from the Master Teacher Himself and then in turn shared that training with others through example and writings. His teachable heart became a leader's heart.

Now, two centuries later, we have his letters and writings, life-breathed from the Master Teacher to an eager young student-- “the one whom Jesus loved.” Inspired of God, the Gospel of John is alive with the story of God's redemptive work through His one and only Son, Jesus Christ. Today, these writings have the power to lead new believers down the same dusty roads that John and Jesus traveled together, experiencing life together, and spreading the good news through evangelism.

“If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:31b-32 NASB)

Since 1893, The Pocket Testament League has been sharing John's Gospel and New Testaments to those in need thus spreading the good news to a hurting world. Helen Cadbury, it's founder said: “If only we could get people to read the Book for themselves it will surely lead them to Christ.”

Her vision lives on today through the vast outreach of The Pocket Testament League which inspires believers to listen to their Savior's heartbeat, to abide in His word, and to share that Word with passion and authenticity. The League equips believers with countless evangelism tools and educational materials to support this goal such as pocket versions of the Gospel of John, children's resources, training programs, daily devotionals, Bible studies, and website banners. All meant to equip Christ followers with the power of Jesus' word to heal, to encourage, to strengthen and to lead a hurting world into the saving grace of God's redemption plan.

From a Savior's heartbeat . . . to John's heart . . . to yours.

Marty Wellington
Member #15638
Platinum

http://thebeginningofwonder.blogspot.com/
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=169988
https://www.facebook.com/marty.wellington.3

Best Silver and winner of a one year free Gold membership on FaithWriters.

Handprints of Evangelism - By Jennifer Liang

“Thank you so much Sarah for the book you gave me last week. “ Emily said while giving her youngest a big push on the swings. “I read it cover to cover and it was so interesting. My husband even saw how engrossed I was reading it before bed and asked to take it to work with him two days in a row.”

Sarah’s daughter Grace giggled as she exclaimed “Higher mommy higher!”

Loving the smile on her daughter’s face and not wanting to disappoint her Sarah obliged with a mighty push resulting in another round of giggles. “You are most welcome. I am glad to help. I am here anytime you need me.”

Leaving her son to swing on his own Emily carefully avoided his pumping legs and walked over to join Sarah next to the pole. “But why me? What does this all mean to you?”

“You mean Jesus?” Sarah asked.

“Yes. I mean it is a nice story and all but what does that have to do with you and me?” Emily reiterated. “Why did you give me a free book?”

After a moments thought Sarah asked, “Well, let me ask you a question. Did you make handprints and fingerprints of your children as babies?”

“For my oldest we did at birth. It is framed on our wall. I have yet to do anything with Michael. Why?”

“My Grace was so tiny that I wanted to have proof of her growth to remind me of how far she has come and will go. I took her handprint and while looking at it Jesus spoke to me about how important He is in my life and how He is always taking care of me and my family.”

“Yes, I remember the difficult time you went through with her premature birth.”

Finally freeing Grace and running after her to the slide Sarah motioned Emily to join her in the shade. “Grace would not be where she is now if it were not for God’s hand orchestrating everything. Her framed handprints on our wall serve as a daily reminder of His healing and provision.”

“In other words it is not just a story to you but this Jesus character is real.”

“That is exactly what I am saying Emily.”

Pondering that thought for a moment Emily distracted herself by seeming to be captivated by what Michael was doing as he gleefully climbed the slide and slid down followed closely by his friend Grace. “Wow. That gives me a whole new perspective. Do you happen to have more of those books? My husband still has my first copy.”

Handing her a pocket testament Sarah smiled and simply said, “We will be praying for you.”

On Sunday Sarah’s husband Harry nudged her during the sermon and whispered “Isn’t that your friend Emily?”

“Shhh. Yes, it is. I will talk to her after service.”

Later approaching her from behind Sarah tapped Emily on the shoulder. “Welcome Emily. It is nice to see you here. “

Enveloping Sarah in her arms Emily couldn’t contain her excitement. “I went home that day from the playground and Jesus touched me. His handprints are on my life now too. I want to shout it from the mountaintops and share with everyone I know. Where can I go for help?”

“I know just the place. It is called Pocket Testament League (http://www.ptl.org) and there you can find the answers to all your questions like what is evangelism and why read the Bible. They also have free evangelism training, free daily devotionals, and other evangelism tools and resources. There are even ways to reach those around us as well as around the world in places like China! Congratulations. Welcome to the family!”

Jennifer Liang
Member # 46878
Silver Membership
http://keaikeiki.blogspot.com
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=170003

End Winners Here

Original contest guideline below.

Important: Before reading below, make sure you have read the general information about these contests on this page http://faithwriters.com/christianwritingcontest.html. There you will learn the benefit of contextual links for websites and how to create them.

Now Open: What’s in Your Pocket?

The ministry we will be promoting is the Pocket Testament League (PTL) who we also promoted in 2012. In existence since 1893 their main focus is leading people to a saving knowledge of Christ and equipping others to do the same.

Your assignment for this contest is to review their site and ministry, http://www.ptl.org and http://facebook.com/pocketpower and learn what they are all about. Read some of the stories http://ptl.org/stories and get a feel for their ministry. Join as a free member to get inside the site. Take some time and do a great job. You are promoting a ministry whose number one goal is to promote Jesus by using the gospel of John. We encourage you to get some of their pocket testaments yourself and spread the gospel directly.

You can also look here viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35372 and view the winners for our last PTL contest. You will see the contextual links in those articles as required and how the article should be formatted including the authors name, id number, membership level and the other locations they posted in at the bottom of the article.

Specifics for this contest.

1) You are to write a promotional review of their site and ministry that would lead your readers to click on the links you place in the article that lead to PTL. <b>The article MUST have a title</> and using one of the listed keywords in the title is a great idea. Please consider what someone might search under if they wanted resources PTL offers. They are seeking visits mainly from believers who want to share their faith and need tools.

You can choose to write a straight review as or you can choose to write a unique storyline built around the keywords listed in this post. For example you might write a story about a Christian who suddenly realizes the importance of sharing the gospel. Every time you use one of the keywords like "evangelism" you would hyperlink it to http://www.ptl.org

2) The maximum number of words is 750.

3) Here is the list of keyword or keyword phrases PTL would like us to promote so that their site shows up better on an internet search in these areas.

evangelism
free evangelism training
evangelism tools
daily devotionals
free daily devotionals
what is evangelism

It is vital that you include four of these keywords, keyword phrases in your articles as contextual links. (A contextual link is simply a highlighted keyword in the article that if clicked on will lead to a designated URL, web address). They must be incorporated into a sentence. For example the first one is "Evangelism" with a link attached that goes to http://www.ptl.org. You could write - The Pocket Testament Leagues heart and soul is to promote evangelism and teach others to do the same. Every time you use one of the keywords you would hyperlink it to http://www.ptl.org.

Note: It is not required that the contextual links work in this forum. They must work in your other posts.

4) You MUST post the article in this specific forum, our regular articles and in one other location like your personal blog. A total of three locations minimum, more if you like.

When you post it in this forum, please include the URL’s for the other two postings at the bottom of your article. Here is an example:
Lori Othouse
Member # 8826
Platinum
http://infyouz.wordpress.com/2012/09/16 ... -more-day/
http://www.facebook.com/notes/lori-lull ... 0475131273
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=152020

Do not include the list in your other postings.

5) The prizes for this contest are paid writing assignments for the Pocket Testament League. The total value of the prizes is $225.00 for three articles. ($75.00 per article) First place will receive two of the assignments and second place will receive one. There is also a one year Gold membership for the best silver entry given by FaithWriters. While I cannot guarantee it, if you are the winner and do an excellent job with the paid articles they assign you. I think it is possible that could obtain further work from PTL. We have already had some of our members receive paid writing opportunities from PTL. This is a great opportunity for writers who want to spread the gospel around the world and for exposure and potential income.

The winner will also be posted on 100 Christian blogs to provide PTL with 400 more contextual links and to give the winning writer exposure.

6) The deadline for these submissions is 6 PM New York time on 6-30-14. Winners will be announced as soon as possible after the deadline in this forum and on the main site and by email to the winners.

7) VERY IMPORTANT - Everyone is invited to participate. However please remember that paid writing assignments will only go to the top two Gold or Platinum members. So if you want to be in the pack that could win a writing assignment in this contest, you would need to upgrade before the contest starts. As I mentioned this could possibly lead the winner to more work and exposure. Gold is only about .20 per day and you are helping this ministry help Christian writers and spread the gospel.

This contest is open now.

God Bless, Mike

THIS FORUM IS FOR THE SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES ONLY.
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

writewithpurpose
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: New 5-14-14 Blog Contest: Whats in Your Pocket? for PTL

Postby writewithpurpose » Tue May 27, 2014 6:55 pm

Reaching Out

The mentally oppressed, the sick, the suicidal, the discouraged, the lonely, the lost, and those without purpose are among the ones in which I worked as a crisis interventionist. Planting the seeds of the gospel and giving away gospels of John occupied the real purpose of my employment. The gospels of John sparked the work of evangelism by planting the seed of God’s word.

Sharing Christ openly wasn’t possible because I worked in a public agency. Confronted with this dilemma, the Lord allowed me to share the Word in an undercover manner. I obtained the addresses of clients and sent them the gospel of John anonymously. Convinced of the Lord’s word that tells us his Word doesn’t return void, I knew God’s purpose prevailed, even if I didn’t see the immediate results.

The Pocket Testament League provides evangelism tools to help you in your unique situation, and not only are the tools you need provided, but a community of support is a part of their ministry. Community, free evangelism training, and daily devotionals build up the body of Christ and help fulfill the great commission. Whatever your occupation or station in life, you will find resources to help you live out God’s purpose and call on your life.

My church participates in a project called C.O.O.L, which stands for Community Outreach of Love. We go into a given neighborhood every year doing yard work, painting, building, and showing the love of Christ in concrete ways. This year I’m taking with me the gospels of John that I obtained from The Pocket Testament League; I eagerly await the doors God will open.

Anyone can benefit from the resources, training, and support offered. And for those interested in receiving free evangelism training, that is available too. If you’re shy and feel insecure about sharing your faith, you can learn what is evangelism and go through the Evangelism Boot Camp. The Boot Camp covers such topics, as the privilege of prayer, the power of God’s Word, making it a habit, the easy way to share your faith, taking sharing to the next level, crossing the bridge of faith, and how to quickly grow your ministry. Fears laid aside, the equipping process enables you to share your faith in faith that it will make a difference.

In addition, Life in His Name is a free online Bible study you can point people to. Once you talk to them about faith in Christ or share your brief testimony, you can lead people to the website for this free study of the gospel of John. Reaching out to others does ask us to step outside of our comfort zone, and step out the boat, so to speak, in order to throw a lifeline to someone who’s drowning in sin. Take that step, and put the Word of God into the hands of the lost and discouraged. There's no greater joy. The Pocket Testament League is with you each step of the way. You are not alone in this journey.

Kathleen A. Trissel
Gold Member #37098
https://www.facebook.com/kathleen.trissel
http://live2worshipjesus.wordpress.com/
Kathleen
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" (Phil 1:21)

"For in him we live and move and have our being" (Acts 17:28).

Hisforevermore
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Hisforevermore » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:12 pm

The Gem in my Pocket

To look at me few people suspected how thirsty I was, nor could they see the gnawing hunger inside me that I had suppressed and denied for years. In appearance my frame displayed a well-fed woman, perhaps a little more so than others, but inside, my soul and spirit were in desperate need of nourishment. I was as good as dead until I attended a life-changing Christian retreat. It was there I realized how wretched and destitute I was. The One who drew me to that time, event and place showed himself to be the Living Water and Bread of Life I needed to save my soul – my Savior, Jesus.

I celebrated my forever birthday at that retreat some thirty-five years ago, where I clearly heard the gospel for the first time. It was the beginning of my life in Christ, a new, exciting journey. I bought a new Bible that day and began devouring it and, while I knew little about what evangelism meant, I wanted to share the life-saving food I had found with others. I was eager to find and use every tool available, so the bookstore at the retreat became my stomping ground.

One of the treasures I discovered was at the checkout counter in a small display. In it was a little folded booklet entitled “Ready References for your Pocket Testament” containing ten sections arranged in twenty topics with scripture references, from the “A-B-C’s of Salvation” to “Great and Precious Promises.” What was most amazing about this treasure-filled booklet was how it was printed on only a half-page of regular sized paper and then folded into a neat business-card-size form which one could easily tuck into a wallet, purse, pocket testament, Bible or business card holder and keep for handy use. What a help it was to me as someone new to the Bible - to have such a compact tool to aid me in “mining” the treasure trove of God’s word.

I still have this little gem tucked in my Bible and it has served me well. Recently I discovered how this publication started through the Pocket Testament League and how this extensive ministry began over 120 years ago when teenager Helen Cadbury sewed pockets in dresses to hold New Testaments provided by her father. The pockets made them easily portable and accessible, so they could be shared by her and her friends who sewed the pockets, too. Since then the League has blossomed into a worldwide ministry serving millions of people.

Today the Pocket Testament League website uses internet technology to provide much more than a checkout display. Here the League presents its many resources to not only spread the gospel but to encourage believers in their daily walk as well. It’s a virtual expansion of the small pocket testament reference gem I found – providing helps ranging from evangelism tools to free daily devotionals. And the ministry doesn’t limit itself to providing products – they offer special services including free evangelism training and Bible studies, too.

The League has something for everyone - whether someone seeking to be refreshed by what only Christ can offer as I was or for a new believer who needs guidance along his journey or for even those who have been walking with Jesus for many years. Anyone can join the League and, as a member, grow in faith and join their mission to spread the gospel and minister to people who need something more lasting in their pockets than coins and credit cards in this world.

I encourage anyone interested in making a difference in their own lives or in the lives of others, as young Helen Cadbury and her father did, to visit the Pocket Testament League website. Whether someone wishes to learn more about the gospel or evangelism or simply to be uplifted by the many stories found there of people throughout the world who have been touched and changed by this ministry, they will find something to meet their need.

Just as the League still offers the small reference “gem” I found and continue to use, they provide a wealth of other treasures for anyone to discover. For a rewarding experience, I encourage everyone who wants to put some “gems” into their own pockets to explore the rich lode available at the Pocket Testament League website.

Sandra Fischer
Member #1729
Platinum
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=1729
http://fisch-lines.blogspot.com/

Milly Born
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Milly Born » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Just Christians

“Mom, today another teacher told me I can’t be a Christian.”

“I’m sorry, sweetheart. How did you respond this time?”

“I just repeated that I’m a Christian. But she said I have to be a Roman Catholic, an Orthodox, or a Protestant Christian. She said I can’t be ‘just a Christian’.”

“You want me to talk with her and explain?”

Aisha sighed. “No, forget it. She won’t understand anyway.”

Although I didn’t agree with my fourteen-year-old daughter’s conclusion about the teacher’s ability to understand, I empathized with her. It was the second teacher who stated that Aisha couldn’t be a Christian.

The first had told her, “Go and ask your parents what you are.” After all, Aisha was the only child in her class not to attend the Catholic religion classes. Furthermore, she hadn’t received her First Communion nor did she go to Mass.

My husband, our daughter, and I are a non-denominational Christian family in Umbria, Italy, and we know that God wants us to reach out to Italians.

However, most of the 60 million people in Italy identify themselves as Christians, mainly Roman Catholics.

So what are we doing here, aiming to evangelize Christians?

But just how Christian are the people we meet? When we ask, “How do you do?” the answer is often, “Si tira avanti,” which means, “I get by”, literally, “I’m dragging myself forward.” Their faces express a mixture of fatalism and futility as they mention family problems, failing health, or financial troubles. They’re living without purpose, without a glimmer of hope.

Despite the omnipresence of Catholicism, most Italians don’t know God, meaning that they don’t know Him personally. They picture Jesus as the dead man on the Cross or the helpless baby in the manger, but the living King has no relevant role in their lives.

We know that God loves the Italian people and wants to be part of their daily lives. He wants to give them identity, a sense of value, meaningful purpose, and clear direction.

How to explain this? How to proclaim the good news of the Kingdom of God among people who think they are doing fine as far as religion is concerned? What is evangelism anyway?

Evangelism is not necessarily about going into the streets with megaphones and handing out tracts to strangers. From our experience, we know that people won’t trust our words until they trust our hearts. Evangelism is a lifestyle.

We pray to God each day that He will fill us with love for everyone we will meet that day. We listen to people’s problems; we offer to pray for them and with them. We share with them what Jesus has done in our own lives. We talk with them and counsel them. We open our house and our hearts to them.

When people show interest, we often point them to John’s Gospel to get to know Jesus.
Thanks to their Catholic heritage, many Italians own a Bible. And we know that God’s living Word has the power to lead them to faith in Christ (2Timothy 3:15).

There’s a problem though; most Italians we meet find the Bible an intimidating book that they have never opened, let alone read.

I recently found the solution for overcoming this initial hesitancy in the form of a small evangelism tool, the Pocket Testament.

Some weeks ago, I came across the website of the Pocket Testament League (PTL). The PTL has an intriguing history and two main goals: Strengthen people’s faith and equip them to bring other people closer to Jesus. To that end, they offer free evangelism training and free daily devotionals. However, their main tool is the Pocket Testament, a booklet containing the complete Gospel of John, preceded by an explanation of Jesus’ crucial role in God’s reconciliation plan.

Delighted to find out that the Pocket Testament is also available in Italian, I immediately ordered twenty copies.

Upon receiving them, I put several booklets in my handbag. In two of them, I wrote a personal message.

Dear teacher,

I’m taking the liberty of sharing our Christian faith with you through this booklet.
May you be blessed by its content.

Yours sincerely,
Milly Born

I trust that God will grant me the opportunity to give each pocket testament to the intended recipient. His Word will do the rest.

Milly Born
Member # 64721
Platinum

NON-FICTION

http://destinationitaly.wordpress.com
http://facebook.com/milly.born
Milly Born

Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
--Psalm 105:1

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby tomoral » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Street Evangelism

He lay in an alley near the corner of Beale and Main Streets. His body and mind were ravaged with the disease of alcoholism, and he knew he was dying. His soul cried out for comfort and love, but there were none. People on the street eyed him with repulsion and disdain, as his clothes were ragged and filthy. He would put out his hand for help, but most people would ignore his deathlike face and cross the street to avoid him.

On this afternoon, he knew death was near, but something kept him holding on. He just couldn't die yet! There was something he needed to do, but his brain wasn't functioning enough to know what it was. So he lay there, in so much physical and emotional pain, he didn't even remember how to pray.

Then he saw her. A lady in a white coat approached him in the alley and handed him something, smiled and said “God loves you.”

She went on through the alley handing out little white booklets with a red rose on them. He wanted to tell her she should not be there in the alley, because some people might try to rob her, but he couldn't speak.

He opened the booklet and stared at the printed words, and somehow he managed to make sense of the verse of John 3:16. His mind clearly remembered it from somewhere in his childhood, when his Grandma took him to church.

“For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”

With an instant clarity, he at once knew what to do. He rose, only to fall to his knees again. He began to crawl down the street toward the old Presbyterian Cathedral two blocks away. A man came to his aid and asked if he could be of assistance. He managed to croak out the word “church.”

Suddenly two men raised him to his feet and walked him to the church.

At that point he stood on his on his own two feet and walked through the doors of the beautiful sanctuary and straight up to the massive gold cross.

He fell to his knees once again and cried out the plea,“Jesus, forgive me!”

With those words, he felt his spirit being lifted by the arms of an angel, and he drew his final breath.

The above story is a fictional account of what could very well be true. Many people on the streets are so disabled mentally and physically that they don't know about Jesus. Many of them don't even believe in God, because there lives have become so severely damaged. But the good people at Pocket Testament League take evangelism to the streets so these people have a chance to know Jesus. They offer free evangelism training to anyone interested in reaching anyone and everyone who needs the good news of Jesus Christ.

What is evangelism? It is reaching out to others who are crying out for salvation, and even those who know there is something missing in their lives and don't know what that something is. Pocket Testament League passes out free devotionals as evangelism tools to help people like the person in my fictional story. Pocket Testament League saves souls, so they may enter the kingdom of Heaven.

Lynn Gipson
Platinum Member

http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=169858
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

DennisM
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby DennisM » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Read, Carry, Share: Evangelism Made Simple

When was the last time you received some good news? Maybe someone has sent you a personal handwritten letter of encouragement, a sentimental card, or a heartfelt email that really brightened your day and lifted your spirits. What sort of impact did that have on your soul? Everyone has received good news at some point in their life, but have we ever considered sharing it with others or the joy that accompanies it? What are some things that prevent us from doing so? Is there any harm in just simply keeping this wonderful news all to ourselves?

In my daily study of the Bible God will often illuminate a particular verse that would truly resonate within my heart. Whenever He does it’s like that message was meant for me at that exact moment and time. His word would touch me so deeply that I am compelled to write it down on a yellow post it note and carry it around in my pocket. I would pull out my little note of encouragement from God periodically throughout the day to meditate upon it. Once I was done it would go right back to where I had just fished it out. But I’ve always felt as though something was missing in the process, that there was more to it than just jotting down a verse and tucking it away. I was given a piece to a puzzle, but not knowing to where it belonged.

In the New Testament Jesus describes three men in the Parable of the Talents who have been given a substantial amount of money by their master with the hopes of investing it and producing more. All but one of the servants did what the master had trusted they would do and for their faithfulness he blessed them. However, the third servant was too afraid and believed his boss to be a cruel taskmaster. Therefore he did nothing with what he had been given.

I can totally relate to the third servant. There are times where I find it’s easier to just bury my talent deep within the dark recesses of the lint infested pocket of my trousers rather than sharing the good news I’ve received. It’s the fear of rejection that has always kept me from taking my piece of the puzzle and connecting it to others. That was until I recently discovered the wonderful evangelism tools offered by a ministry called The Pocket Testament League. What first grabbed my attention about this fruit producing ministry was the remarkable story behind its origins.

As a young girl in the late 1800’s Helen Cadbury surrendered her life to Christ at the tender age of twelve. She would often be found carrying scripture in one of her pockets. With child-like faith she would put it into action by sharing God’s word with those around her through personal evangelism. Soon after she recruited several of her friends and together they formed what is still known as The Pocket Testament League.

Today, this ministry is a collaboration of faithful believers whose goal is to prepare evangelists young and old with access to fresh and relevant soul winning resources, equipping them to reach their world with the Gospel. With everything from daily devotionals, to pocket sized Gospels of John, free evangelism training, and encouraging videos about how to share your faith with others this power packed ministry is making the Great Commission its most important mission by building and equipping Disciples of Christ.

Joining this league of over 400,000 members has given me the much needed confidence to be an effective witness for Christ. It has equipped me to take the daily bread of my Father and share it with those who are hungry for the Good News.

Are you willing to dedicate one of your pockets to the Lord and use it to share your faith with others? If so come join this pocket sized movement for the Kingdom of God, a ministry that is fundamentally in a league of their own.

Run to win,
Dennis Miranda
Gold Member # 64822
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=169967
https://www.facebook.com/notes/dentine- ... 6876222147
https://twitter.com/runningtowinpgh/sta ... 0637930496
http://www.runningtowin-pgh.com/write/r ... ade-simple

write43in1

Postby write43in1 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:07 pm

Listening to the Savior's Heartbeat

“There was reclining on Jesus' breast one of His disciples, whom Jesus loved.” (John 13:23 NASB)

The disciple John, a young fisherman from Judea, made a life-changing decision when he decided to follow Jesus. He partnered with his brother James in this endeavor – forsaking his past, to strike out upon a new path – a path of trust, a journey of love, a discovery of redemption, peace and forgiveness. His young heart was eager and teachable, his spirit open to God, his heart willing to grow and serve.

As his journey progressed as a follower of the Rabbi, he listened, he questioned, he learned, he prepared and he remained faithful to the calling he had received from his Messiah.

John was known as the “Evangelist” and appropriately so as his life exhibited a commitment to learning, compassion for others and an intimacy with his Savior. He heard his Savior's heartbeat. He reclined at table with him during the Last Supper, and he never forgot the lessons he learned. He received free evangelism training from the Master Teacher Himself and then in turn shared that training with others through example and writings. His teachable heart became a leader's heart.

Now, two centuries later, we have his letters and writings, life-breathed from the Master Teacher to an eager young student-- “the one whom Jesus loved.” Inspired of God, the Gospel of John is alive with the story of God's redemptive work through His one and only Son, Jesus Christ. Today, these writings have the power to lead new believers down the same dusty roads that John and Jesus traveled together, experiencing life together, and spreading the good news through evangelism.

“If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” (John 8:31b-32 NASB)

Since 1893, The Pocket Testament League has been sharing John's Gospel and New Testaments to those in need thus spreading the good news to a hurting world. Helen Cadbury, it's founder said: “If only we could get people to read the Book for themselves it will surely lead them to Christ.”

Her vision lives on today through the vast outreach of The Pocket Testament League which inspires believers to listen to their Savior's heartbeat, to abide in His word, and to share that Word with passion and authenticity. The League equips believers with countless evangelism tools and educational materials to support this goal such as pocket versions of the Gospel of John, children's resources, training programs, daily devotionals, Bible studies, and website banners. All meant to equip Christ followers with the power of Jesus' word to heal, to encourage, to strengthen and to lead a hurting world into the saving grace of God's redemption plan.

From a Savior's heartbeat . . . to John's heart . . . to yours.

Marty Wellington
Member #15638
Platinum

http://thebeginningofwonder.blogspot.com/
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=169988
https://www.facebook.com/marty.wellington.3
Marty

"To live without risk is to risk not living."--Brennan Manning

"The worst of work nowadays is what happens to people when they cease to work."
--Gilbert K. Chesterton

"Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give."
--William A. Ward

grace greatman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby grace greatman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:08 am

SHARING THE GOSPEL IN A TERRORISTS' CAMP

My pastor told us one day that a Christian who cannot boldly preach Christ and win souls have failed in his primary assignment.
“It was Jesus’ final call to all believers and if you are not winning souls for Jesus, you are like a fruitless tree. What did Jesus do to the fruitless tree in Matthew 21:19? He cursed it! And in Luke 13:6-7, He ordered it to be cut down!”

This made me really restless. I was an introvert. I had been a Christian for close to five years and hadn't won a soul for Christ. I love God and His Word and all I wanted was to be a productive Christian. I began to pray for the grace for evangelism.

Weeks later, my prayers were answered. A 19-year old girl, Deborah, told me of how she and twelve other girls were kidnapped by terrorists while on field trip to Northern Nigeria. The terrorists informed them they were hostages to get the government to release three of their arrested members. They asked those who were Christians to lift up their hands. Deborah and four others did. Out of fear, two Christian girls did not indicate. The terrorists told Deborah’s group that they won’t be Christians for long.

While the other girls ate good food, Deborah and her group were fed with dry bread and water. They did the dishes and laundry. However, the terrorists did not rape them as they did the other girls, because to them, Christians were an ‘abomination.’

Through it all, Deborah said she was at peace. A pocket-sized Gospel of John which she always carried with her gave her hope. She had kept it hidden in her dress. In the middle of the night, she would sneak it out and read, using the faint light streaming through the windows from outside. Then she would pray quietly for their release. Soon, the other Christian girls joined in the secret reading and praying.

One of those nights, she heard one of the Muslim girls crying. She crawled to her to comfort her, read John 16 to her and prayed with her. In the next few nights, all the other girls joined the secret, quiet fellowship and confessed Jesus as Lord. They spent most of the nights reading the Gospel of John and praying.

Two weeks after, soldiers ambushed the camp and rescued all of them. They had read the Gospel of John twice. Deborah told me only two of the girls went back to Islam. The others are growing strong in the Christian faith.

I was challenged by her story. I asked her about the bible. She simply dipped her hand in her bag, brought one out and said, “The rule in my home is, ‘don’t leave the house without The Book.’ Since I was twelve, my mother taught me how to share the gospel with this.”

Deborah told me about the website - http://www.ptl.org. I immediately checked it out. What I saw was an answer to my prayer on evangelism.

Since 1893, the Pocket Testament League has been mobilizing and equipping Christians to read, carry and share the Word of God. Their free resources are a spiritual trove; free evangelism training that makes it easy for timid Christians like me to share my faith with others. I was particularly enriched with the Evangelism Boot Camp, a free, self-paced, 7-part online training course. It is simply amazing!

Two years of using their Free Daily Devotionals have grown my faith, improved my relationship with God, and increased my passion for reading God's Word. I have received deep insights, especially from the Gospel of John, through the 21-Day Challenge.

Today, like Deborah, I can confidently witness, even to the most unusual people, in a variety of creative ways. The pocket-sized Gospel of John, for instance, comes in colorful cover designs related to people’s personal interest. There is a suitable cover for your boss, colleagues, that snubby neighbor, soldier, horticulturist, golf player or dog-lover - many attention grabbing covers in a variety of languages. I just hand them out freely, with loads of love and prayers. As they read, they make a decision for Christ. No words of man can be as effective for evangelism as the Word of God.

Since I encountered the Pocket Testament League, my spiritual life has grown amazingly.

Effective and rewarding evangelism tools are just a click away.

Grace Olumayowa Aideloje
Member - #249240
http://www.penparables.blogspot.com
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det
http://www.facebook.com/gracegreatman

newmorningjll
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby newmorningjll » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am

Handprints of Evangelism

“Thank you so much Sarah for the book you gave me last week. “ Emily said while giving her youngest a big push on the swings. “I read it cover to cover and it was so interesting. My husband even saw how engrossed I was reading it before bed and asked to take it to work with him two days in a row.”

Sarah’s daughter Grace giggled as she exclaimed “Higher mommy higher!”

Loving the smile on her daughter’s face and not wanting to disappoint her Sarah obliged with a mighty push resulting in another round of giggles. “You are most welcome. I am glad to help. I am here anytime you need me.”

Leaving her son to swing on his own Emily carefully avoided his pumping legs and walked over to join Sarah next to the pole. “But why me? What does this all mean to you?”

“You mean Jesus?” Sarah asked.

“Yes. I mean it is a nice story and all but what does that have to do with you and me?” Emily reiterated. “Why did you give me a free book?”

After a moments thought Sarah asked, “Well, let me ask you a question. Did you make handprints and fingerprints of your children as babies?”

“For my oldest we did at birth. It is framed on our wall. I have yet to do anything with Michael. Why?”

“My Grace was so tiny that I wanted to have proof of her growth to remind me of how far she has come and will go. I took her handprint and while looking at it Jesus spoke to me about how important He is in my life and how He is always taking care of me and my family.”

“Yes, I remember the difficult time you went through with her premature birth.”

Finally freeing Grace and running after her to the slide Sarah motioned Emily to join her in the shade. “Grace would not be where she is now if it were not for God’s hand orchestrating everything. Her framed handprints on our wall serve as a daily reminder of His healing and provision.”

“In other words it is not just a story to you but this Jesus character is real.”

“That is exactly what I am saying Emily.”

Pondering that thought for a moment Emily distracted herself by seeming to be captivated by what Michael was doing as he gleefully climbed the slide and slid down followed closely by his friend Grace. “Wow. That gives me a whole new perspective. Do you happen to have more of those books? My husband still has my first copy.”

Handing her a pocket testament Sarah smiled and simply said, “We will be praying for you.”

On Sunday Sarah’s husband Harry nudged her during the sermon and whispered “Isn’t that your friend Emily?”

“Shhh. Yes, it is. I will talk to her after service.”

Later approaching her from behind Sarah tapped Emily on the shoulder. “Welcome Emily. It is nice to see you here. “

Enveloping Sarah in her arms Emily couldn’t contain her excitement. “I went home that day from the playground and Jesus touched me. His handprints are on my life now too. I want to shout it from the mountaintops and share with everyone I know. Where can I go for help?”

“I know just the place. It is called Pocket Testament League (http://www.ptl.org) and there you can find the answers to all your questions like what is evangelism and why read the Bible. They also have free evangelism training, free daily devotionals, and other evangelism tools and resources. There are even ways to reach those around us as well as around the world in places like China! Congratulations. Welcome to the family!”

Jennifer Liang
Member # 46878
Silver Membership
http://keaikeiki.blogspot.com
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... ?id=170003

mikeedwards
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whats in Your Pocket? for PTL - Now in Judging!

Postby mikeedwards » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:49 pm

DEADLINE - NO MORE ENTRIES PAST THIS POINT PLEASE. NOW IN JUDGING!

Thanks to all who entered. We will have the results posted as soon as we get them back.

Blessings, Mike :thankssign
We need God's Grace because of God's Truth.

Return to Writing/Blogging Contests for Paid Writing Opportunities