To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Consciousness and Conscience

For those who like to discuss and debate theology. This is a forum for people who enjoy strong and lively debate with people who may not be likeminded. Participants are requested to always treat other opinions with respect.

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, RedBaron

NetChaplain
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby NetChaplain » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 am

The following article addresses the same subject and author related to the article “Perfect Peace,” but provides further understanding concerning the indwelling “old man.”
-NC

We are not to confound “consciousness of sins” with “conscience of sins.” “The worshiper once purged,” has “no more conscience of sins” (Heb. 10:2) in the presence of the Father. He knows that if He would impute to him even one single sin, it would involve nothing less than judgment and condemnation. But he knows also that the Father has imputed all his sins to the Lord Jesus in judgment on the Cross (1 Pet. 2:24), and that He therefore neither can nor will impute them again to us (Rom. 8:4). “There is, therefore, now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 8:1). He has therefore no more conscience, i.e., consciousness of guilt before God the Judge.

Due to his purged conscience, with “no more conscience of sins” the believer no longer dreads the light of his Father’s holy presence, which penetrates and lays bare everything. But he loves it (if he walks sincerely, though in conscious weakness before Him), and desires that this light, formerly so dreaded and rightly so, should shine into every corner of his inner man and discover there everything contrary to that light of God’s holiness and grace, in order that he may not only discover, but at once judge it in his Father’s presence.

It is just because such a worshiper, “once purged,” has peace with God, and “no more conscience of sins,” and no longer dreads the light of His presence when approaching Him, that he has an all the more humbling and deeper consciousness of his own sinfulness, and every sin, by which he might have been overtaken for want of watchfulness and prayer. For the same light, which instead of fearing it, he now invites to shine into every secret recess, and there to lay bare everything inconsistent with it, that it may be judged and put away.

This light in the presence of the Father, in all searching and manifesting power, keeps him constantly in the humbling consciousness of his own sinfulness and weakness and entire dependence upon the abundant grace of God in the Lord Jesus Christ, without whom “we can do nothing,” but through whom we “can do all things.” At the same time the consciousness of that grace strengthens his heart and fills it with joyful gratitude towards his Father.

Thus our being conscious of our sinfulness and failures has nothing whatever to do with a perfect conscience, once for all purged in the presence of the Father by the Blood of the Lord Jesus; nor with our relationship to our Father, which rests upon the divinely solid basis of the work of the Lord Jesus; nor with our position before our Father, which is inseparably connected with the life of the Lord Jesus. The confounding of these two truths, the consciousness of sin in ourselves, and conscience of sins before our Father, tends to keep so many believers at a fearful distance from him, instead of following His gracious invitation (even command) to “draw near to Him with a true heart, in full assurance of faith; having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience” (Heb. 10:22).

But he is also able to say, “Not a cloud above.” Even the smallest shadow of a cloud of judgment has disappeared, and the sum of the Father’s grace and favor now shines on us in full splendor. As we have found peace with the Father through our Lord Jesus Christ, by Him as “our life” (Col. 3:4) we have also access to the Father—unimpeded access to the divine favor. By the Lord Jesus we are just as welcome in our Father’s presence as His own Beloved Son Himself, for we are “accepted in the Beloved” (Eph.1:6).

- W.J. Hocking
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ. -MJS

jo555
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Consciousness and Conscience

Postby jo555 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:12 pm

“accepted in the Beloved”

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:thankssign
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Is there a difference between accepted and approved?
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

NetChaplain
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby NetChaplain » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:30 am

jo555 wrote:Is there a difference between accepted and approved?

HI Jo - I would think being accepted in Christ (He is the "Beloved") and approved in Him have the same results.
The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ. -MJS

jo555

Postby jo555 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am

Me too.

I think it is also important to understand that we ourselves are accepted / approved of in Christ, but our actions aren't always so.

Although, it is important to one's overall well-being to understand in Christ, we ourselves are accepted and approved.

Thanks for sharing.

NetChaplain
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby NetChaplain » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:35 am

jo555 wrote:Me too.

I think it is also important to understand that we ourselves are accepted / approved of in Christ, but our actions aren't always so.

Although, it is important to one's overall well-being to understand in Christ, we ourselves are accepted and approved.

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, God already knows all we will be doing, which is used for our learning, and He also knows we only want to please Him, but in everything He has already accepted us upon rebirth.

God's blessings to your Family!
Last edited by NetChaplain on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 pm

Thank you. You are always so gracious and I appreciate it. God bless you and your family too!

jo555

Postby jo555 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:44 am

Thought I would share this one here . . .
I thought I would post to share the "God" factor and heart connection over the "me" factor and our conscious. Hopefully it makes a good addition, but let me know if you think otherwise.

Godly Sorrow and Repentance

Godly sorrow focuses on God. Worldly sorrow says what's going to happen to me. You understand? I couldn't get free from that sin because I was afraid I would be judged for that sin. But a year later I said, "God, I've hurt your heart, I've hurt you. I want this gone. It breaks our fellowship." That was Godly sorrow. It produced repentance. -John Bevere 

Image So much of what is communicated to us is a message of "What's in it for me?" and keeps us on a vicious cycle of self-centeredness. Wanting a rewarding life for ourselves is not of itself wrong. Yet, if our love is to mature, it is to move beyond ourselves.

In covering this topic I feel the need to review some previous material. Let us begin.

1. Self, the law, and fear are interwoven. Where you see one, the other two are present. It is based on self-effort and self-preservation.

2. Jesus, the Holy Spirit, and the fruits of the Spirit are interwoven. Where you see one the other two are present. It is based on the power of the Holy Spirit and is self-sacrificing.

3. The law was created for the carnal life, not the new man in Christ. It was created to serve us, we were not created to serve it.

4. The Holy Spirit lives in the new man in Christ and guides him. We were created for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To be joined to Him in holy matrimony and be carriers of his Light.

5. By the law we are condemned. In Christ we are justified and healed. Jesus was not sent to condemn us, but to liberate us from the law and heal us.

6. The law is good, it doesn't die. Our old carnal life is bad and in entering in through Christ it is crucified / dies so that his Spirit can give us new life. This is how we are liberated from the law. It is detrimental that we understand who the guilty party is.

Now that our review is complete, let's continue to the body of this exploration:

When we are driven by the fear of losing out on something, or gaining that thing, it is self-serving. God can use that for what He is looking to do, yet the fullest expression of God's love is self-sacrificing. That is love matured and manifests in the fruits of his Spirit (love, joy, peace, long-suffering, etc).

Additionally, we were never created to be self-aware, but to live in the awareness of God and his great love for us . . . to lose self inside his love where we will find our heart's home. As we get to know Him and grow in our intimate relationship with Him, getting shamelessly naked with the One that covers our nakedness (unreservedly opening our hearts to Him), our love for Him grows. In effect, we will love the things He loves and hate the things He hates. Change at the deepest level is based on a love relationship with God first, and then others. It moves beyond itself.

You can see this same property in operation in our human relationships. We may be engaging in something that grieves another and out of a love that engages our hearts with theirs, we find ourselves willing to change for the benefit of the other and that relationship.

This is why just telling someone to change isn't enough. We are not engaging their hearts. If we can capture their hearts in love, change will come as they love beyond themselves.

Just remember, we don't earn our salvation. Godly Sorrow (or any other Godly trait) is the manifestation of the salvation that has already been worked in. We work out what has been worked in.

So, the next time you are wanting to change, ask yourself why? Is it due to fear of losing out on something, or is it driven by the love of God?

Fear can be a powerful motivator, but our hearts will be won over by love . . . and there is no greater love than God's Love.

Romans 2:4

Don’t you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can’t you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?

Return to Theology Discussion and Chat