To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

The Bible and English Majors

For those who like to discuss and debate theology. This is a forum for people who enjoy strong and lively debate with people who may not be likeminded. Participants are requested to always treat other opinions with respect.

Moderators: mikeedwards, cori67, RedBaron

RedBaron

The Bible and English Majors

Postby RedBaron » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 pm

A good friend of mine posted this, and she is a writer. Just wondered what other writers thought about this. I need to read it again later, when I'm more awake.

"Why English majors make lousy fundamentalists"
http://morganguyton.us/2014/03/03/why-e ... entalists/

(I haven't read much of the guy's other posts, so I don't know where he stands on various issues.... may explore those more later, may not)
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

swfdoc1
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: The Bible and English Majors

Postby swfdoc1 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:51 pm

This may seem harsh and personal, but what he wrote is his personal opinion, and he has put it on the Internet where it will lead folks astray & ought to be countered. There is a reason his blog post is so personal: This is complete egomaniacal-ism. That is, the INDIVIDUAL is the judge. THIS GUY thinks HE gets to be the judge of the Bible (despite the charade that he is speaking for a bunch of people like himself). Just count the number of uses of “I” and “English major” (his cover). But his ideas are flawed on so many levels. Before I clicked on the “About Me” tab, I KNEW this guy had gone to seminary and that he had done so relatively recently. What he is spouting is the latest liberal dogma with the typical “emerging church” slant.

Here are just some of the easiest problems to point out:

There are reasons the interpretive principles of Augustine and others have been rejected for CENTURIES. Innumerable books have been written on the history of interpretation and explain all this. And teh principles have been rejected not just by fundamentalists, but also by virtually everyone going back to before fundamentalism even existed.

The Bible, that depository of timeless truth, written across hundreds of years and numerous cultures—all with their own literary conventions, likes, and dislikes—must comport with contemporary Western tastes of one particular Myers-Briggs personality type. No, scratch “comport with.” Substitute, “must be interpreted according to the dictates of.”

None of his points address the fact that divine inspiration involves the idea that God and the human writer are BOTH the author. Every point except one only addresses God as author or one of the human writers as author. One point expresses a mis-understanding of inspiration (“A fundamentalist doesn’t recognize Paul to have a character as such because Paul is simply a mouthpiece of God.”) To be valid, every point would need to take the interaction of both into account.

Apparently, we are all supposed to interpret that Bible differently since we will all have read various other books prior to reading the Bible, and proper biblical interpretation must be driven by the analogies we can draw from our own private reading lists. Pardon my sarcasm.

His item 6 is nothing more than the etymological fallacy.

Whether a text has one meaning/voice or many is a hotly debated academic (and popular) issue. BUT, once again, we MUST interpret Scripture according to the side of the debate that HE was taught and which therefore must be right. Oh, and forget the fact that the answer could be different for human-created texts and divinely inspired texts.

Some—perhaps approaching all—of his charges against fundamentalists are false. But we all need a boogeyman. And if that boogeyman can be a straw man, too, all the better.

At bottom, this is an aren’t-I-sophisticated mask for a very simple assertion: I will not be bound by any assertion of the authority of Scripture. If you doubt this based on this one blog post, try this one . Make sure you get all the way to the end, where you will read this: “I can’t come up with any understanding of why this command is “God-breathed and useful for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness” (as all the Bible is, Old and New Testament).”

This is tantamount to saying, “If I can’t understand it, it is not inspired.” Hence, my charge of egomaniacal-ism.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:24 pm

So it wasn't just me that thought it was a bit over the top? Good :) I thought I was misinterpreting what he wrote, since I was tired.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:32 pm

This blog post makes me really, really angry. I am an English teacher, and I like to consider myself a poet at heart, but I disagree with just about everything this fella has written. I am going to read it again when I am not so angry and (hopefully) formulate a response that has a little grace in it.

Guess I disprove his theory. I am an English major AND a fundamentalist--if a fundamentalist is someone who takes the Bible literally. AAARGGH!! If you want to start picking and choosing which events are literal and which are figurative, what stops you from saying Jesus wasn't really the Son of God. He didn't really die and come back to life. Jesus was just a fairy tale meant to illustrate a moral truth. (Hopefully, everyone picks up on the subtlety of my sarcasm, here . . .)

I may have a college degree in English, but I think I would like to borrow a more "common" and lowly term we Southerners are fond of--This blog post is just a bunch of HOGWASH. Yeah, I know . . . I would fail on the subtlety meter . . .

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 am

RedBaron wrote:So it wasn't just me that thought it was a bit over the top? Good :) I thought I was misinterpreting what he wrote, since I was tired.

I hear ya. I read it before and wasn't sure if he was saying this is what it can come across to my type, or if he really meant the putdowns.

Yet, I believe he gives too much credit to the individuals personality, tastes, and personal perceptions. And, I do believe God can use those things, but only as they are rooted in Christ. We often look to make a branch the root, and that's wrong. Then worst, we look to insult and put down others.

When our individualistic characteristics interfere with our rooting in Christ, they do need to be put aside.

We must never lose the simplicity in Christ, or we are in danger of being blown around by every wind of doctrine, tastes, etc.

I've seen so much of this though, so much, I've actually dedicated a website to helping us (Christians) stay rooted in Christ. To keep us focused on Jesus. We are ambassadors for Jesus, not for our individuality.

It's been a heartbreaking, grievous thing for me to witness. Not that I am perfect, just saying.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:38 am

carpenterdaughter wrote:This blog post makes me really, really angry. I am an English teacher, and I like to consider myself a poet at heart, but I disagree with just about everything this fella has written. I am going to read it again when I am not so angry and (hopefully) formulate a response that has a little grace in it.

Guess I disprove his theory. I am an English major AND a fundamentalist--if a fundamentalist is someone who takes the Bible literally. AAARGGH!! If you want to start picking and choosing which events are literal and which are figurative, what stops you from saying Jesus wasn't really the Son of God. He didn't really die and come back to life. Jesus was just a fairy tale meant to illustrate a moral truth. (Hopefully, everyone picks up on the subtlety of my sarcasm, here . . .)

I may have a college degree in English, but I think I would like to borrow a more "common" and lowly term we Southerners are fond of--This blog post is just a bunch of HOGWASH. Yeah, I know . . . I would fail on the subtlety meter . . .

I've seen so much of this . . .

I lean towards teachings, and think that may be part of my gifting / calling, and I have seen my gift there run through the mud while the poetic type of elevated over us.

As you so put it-HOGWASH.

And I so love the Lord how He is so cool. One place that the author really leant that way and spoke often of how inferior and negative the teacher type is, the Lord showed me that his poetic self was using his audience in a self-serving, lustful way. Naked women doing drugs, while knowing this author was supplying the drugs and was getting a kick out of this.

I believe the others liked it that way too because their soul was getting something from it that they weren't getting from God. So, there was fault from both sides, but author was using it for his personal gain. I don't know how much aware author was of it though at the time. I prayed for them and spoke at times.

The artist, if not in Christ, becomes a seducer. So pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaase, end the madness and nonsense and put Jesus back at the root. Boast in Him alone.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:09 pm

Thought I was done for now, but I also love Russian literature and it reminded me something one of my favorites wrote in his "A Confession" (Leo Tolstoy).

What I really appreciate and love is his desire to go deeper, knowing there is a deeper issue at heart. Maybe he doesn't speak for everyone, but he's digging deeper.

Here's the excerpt (These things have been going on for ages):
At twenty-six years of age [Footnote: He was in fact 27 at the time.] I returned to Petersburg after the war, and met the writers. They received me as one of themselves and flattered me. And before I had time to look round I had adopted the views on life of the set of authors I had come among, and these views completely obliterated all my former strivings to improve - they furnished a theory which justified the dissoluteness of my life.

The view of life of these people, my comrades in authorship, consisted in this: that life in general goes on developing, and in this development we - men of thought - have the chief part; and among men of thought it is we - artists and poets - who have the greatest influence. Our vocation is to teach mankind. And lest the simple question should suggest itself: What do I know, and what can I teach? it was explained in this theory that this need not be known, and that the artist and poet teach unconsciously. I was considered an admirable artist and poet, and therefore it was very natural for me to adopt this theory. I, artist and poet, wrote and taught without myself knowing what. For this I was paid money; I had excellent food, lodging, women, and society; and I had fame, which showed that what I taught was very good.

This faith in the meaning of poetry and in the development of life was a religion, and I was one of its priests. To be its priest was very pleasant and profitable. And I lived a considerable time in this faith without doubting its validity. But in the second and still more in the third year of this life I began to doubt the infallibility of this religion and to examine it. My first cause of doubt was that I began to notice that the priests of this religion were not all in accord among themselves. Some said: We are the best and most useful teachers; we teach what is needed, but the others teach wrongly. Others said: No! we are the real teachers, and you teach wrongly. and they disputed, quarrelled, abused, cheated, and tricked one another. There were also many among us who did not care who was right and who was wrong, but were simply bent on attaining their covetous aims by means of this activity of ours. All this obliged me to doubt the validity of our creed.

Moreover, having begun to doubt the truth of the authors' creed itself, I also began to observe its priests more attentively, and I became convinced that almost all the priests of that religion, the writers, were immoral, and for the most part men of bad, worthless character, much inferior to those whom I had met in my former dissipated and military life; but they were self- confident and self-satisfied as only those can be who are quite holy or who do not know what holiness is. These people revolted me, I became revolting to myself, and I realized that that faith was a fraud.

But strange to say, though I understood this fraud and renounced it, yet I did not renounce the rank these people gave me: the rank of artist, poet, and teacher. I naively imagined that I was a poet and artist and could teach everybody without myself knowing what I was teaching, and I acted accordingly.

From my intimacy with these men I acquired a new vice: abnormally developed pride and an insane assurance that it was my vocation to teach men, without knowing what.

To remember that time, and my own state of mind and that of those men (though there are thousands like them today), is sad and terrible and ludicrous, and arouses exactly the feeling one experiences in a lunatic asylum.

We were all then convinced that it was necessary for us to speak, write, and print as quickly as possible and as much as possible, and that it was all wanted for the good of humanity. And thousands of us, contradicting and abusing one another, all printed and wrote - teaching others. And without noticing that we knew nothing, and that to the simplest of life's questions: What is good and what is evil? we did not know how to reply, we all talked at the same time, not listening to one another, sometimes seconding and praising one another in order to be seconded and praised in turn, sometimes getting angry with one another - just as in a lunatic asylum.

Thousands of workmen laboured to the extreme limit of their strength day and night, setting the type and printing millions of words which the post carried all over Russia, and we still went on teaching and could in no way find time to teach enough, and were always angry that sufficient attention was not paid us.

It was terribly strange, but is now quite comprehensible. Our real innermost concern was to get as much money and praise as possible. To gain that end we could do nothing except write books and papers. So we did that. But in order to do such useless work and to feel assured that we were very important people we required a theory justifying our activity. And so among us this theory was devised: "All that exists is reasonable. All that exists develops. And it all develops by means of Culture. And Culture is measured by the circulation of books and newspapers. And we are paid money and are respected because we write books and newspapers, and therefore we are the most useful and the best of men." This theory would have been all very well if we had been unanimous, but as every thought expressed by one of us was always met by a diametrically opposite thought expressed by another, we ought to have been driven to reflection. But we ignored this; people paid us money and those on our side praised us, so each of us considered himself justified.

It is now clear to me that this was just as in a lunatic asylum; but then I only dimly suspected this, and like all lunatics, simply called all men lunatics except myself.

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:44 pm

carpenterdaughter wrote:This blog post makes me really, really angry. I am an English teacher, and I like to consider myself a poet at heart, but I disagree with just about everything this fella has written. I am going to read it again when I am not so angry and (hopefully) formulate a response that has a little grace in it.

Right on target. Like I said, "English majors" is just cover for "I". If he were being honest, instead of “English majors,” he would have said "those of us trained in narrative theology." That's really what this is all about. It's no surprise that he went to seminary at Duke where narrative theology is all the rage. Ironically, narrative theologians consider themselves "post-liberal" not "liberal," and there is no doubt there are vast differences between the two, but at bottom "post-liberalism" is just the latest rejection of biblical authority. Ironically, post-liberalism is supposed to be driven, in part, by a rejection of the exultation of the autonomous individual. But we see how well that works out in practice.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 am

I seriously gave thought to posting a comment directly on the original post of this blog but then decided against it, asking myself what purpose it would serve. All it would do would be to feed the giant fog in modern day "churchdom" that hides the truth of the gospel. I will say, though, that reading it just makes it more clear to me than ever that what matters most--what people really and truly need to hear (not want to hear) is Biblical truth. Definitely, I must speak the truth in love--but sugarcoating it and justifying man's infectious and deadly disease of seeking his own way is THE MOST UNLOVING act ever perpetuated on humanity--to do so under the cloak of religious authority because one has a degree in Biblical studies or pastors a congregation is grievous. This writer needs to read Jeremiah.

God is not some fictional character in a novel, subject to the interpretation of a human author. True--our fallen natures keep us from fully seeing and understanding Him, but when we choose to leave out the parts of the Bible that don't mesh with the version of Him WE have invented in our own minds, we are forging our own "metaphorical" golden calves--which are actually images of our SELVES. That right there is what all sin boils down to: I want what I want. Surely God didn't mean it would kill me . . . (I know what it is because I suffer from the same disease.) There is only one cure for a rebellious heart and mind. Jesus Christ. Without Him, we will all surely die. Period.

God gave us amazingly brilliant minds--it is a shame that we use those minds to craft piles of garbage with lovely words that elevate man. Man cannot save himself. Ever. BUT--God made a way. God made a way! Jesus! The thing is . . . following Jesus means you call your own mind garbage and submit to God's authority. Jesus said that it was easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to inherit the kingdom. I don't think He was only talking about monetary wealth. He was talking about whatever it is that a man has that makes that man think he's worth something. Unless and until a person realizes that they HAVE NOTHING without Christ and that everything else is garbage,that person will remain dead in his (or her) sins. Nothing more fundamental than that--and, if you are giving people anything but the gospel truth, all you are doing is giving them a cup of water to drink on their road to hell.

People don't want to hear that. They want someone to tell them how wonderful they are. The truth is--the only "wonderful" worth being can only come through Jesus. Then . . . well, then we are wonderful because He is. THAT is the message of the gospel.

Just practicing on y'all . . . I am sure that God will give me more than one opportunity to share this truth every chance I get. :D

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:44 am

Well . . . didn't take long before posting the last post for conviction to set in. In no way, shape, or form do I want to enter an argument with this fella that will turn into an "I Win" type of thing. BUT . . . speak the truth. Gee--I've seen the lie. How can I ignore it? If there is one person following his blog who would step back and question . . .

I am not the one in charge of the results--that is the work of the Holy Spirit, but how can I withhold truth? I need to take my own advice.

Sorry, y'all--just working through the pit of my own mind. I'm going to counter him. Please pray that I would control my own pride.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:15 am

Praying God gives you all the right words and that the people God needs to see your response will see it.

I knew I wasn't the right person to respond lol.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:11 am

Well, I posted a response. I'm not so sure I was "gracious" or "gentle"--but it is important to remember that it isn't about me--not at all about me. It is very much about the Truth of the gospel. You know several months ago, I was pointed to something that hit me right between the eyes. We are called to be peacemakers--not peace keepers. That doesn't mean we go around looking for confrontation all the time. That is a pit in and of itself--but it does mean that we must speak truth. No person can have peace with God without acknowledging what Jesus did for us all. No person can accept what He did and the mercy it provides without repentance. There can be no repentance without acknowledging sin.

Peacekeeping looks like patting people on the head and saying, "I'm okay, you're okay, we're all okay." Peacemaking isn't judging. It's telling the truth. "I'm a sinner, you're a sinner--we are all sinners, but Jesus lived, died, and rose again so that we could return to God."

jo555

Postby jo555 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:33 am

carpenterdaughter wrote:Well, I posted a response. I'm not so sure I was "gracious" or "gentle"--but it is important to remember that it isn't about me--not at all about me. It is very much about the Truth of the gospel. You know several months ago, I was pointed to something that hit me right between the eyes. We are called to be peacemakers--not peace keepers. That doesn't mean we go around looking for confrontation all the time. That is a pit in and of itself--but it does mean that we must speak truth. No person can have peace with God without acknowledging what Jesus did for us all. No person can accept what He did and the mercy it provides without repentance. There can be no repentance without acknowledging sin.

Peacekeeping looks like patting people on the head and saying, "I'm okay, you're okay, we're all okay." Peacemaking isn't judging. It's telling the truth. "I'm a sinner, you're a sinner--we are all sinners, but Jesus lived, died, and rose again so that we could return to God."

Having a Godly zeal for the Lord and his people will at times require a firm hand.

I have a measure that I use for these things. I ask myself is this just about me, or is it about the Lord / and or others too? And, you've done that part.

It is saddening when others have a perception of you, and others like you, that would block them from receiving what the Lord may have for them through you. Then they spread that around to others. And, saddening to see how some will praise that stuff. Help us Lord.

That stuff can also cloud, as you said, the simplicity of the gospel. All have fallen short of the glory of God and we all meet at the cross of Jesus Christ.

I hate human comparison, boasting in a branch over the root. I hate it when we boast in ourselves over others instead of boasting in Jesus alone.

And, always love, which sometimes requires a firm hand. That is most important measure, God's love.

May the Lord use your words as He sees fit, in Jesus name. Amen.

carpenterdaughter
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby carpenterdaughter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Just wanted to take a minute to share . . . not even certain where my "sharing" will end up--but still feel the need.

Something that is amazing me this morning is the way that the Spirit uses my own words to come back to me and reveal things to me about my own heart and life--my own motivations for writing and how I share the gospel. I fear that I have gotten it incredibly wrong more than I have gotten it right--which could, arguably, be a fault we all share. Another amazing thing is how that same Spirit can take pieces of circumstances and conversations, and yes, the Word of God to provoke change in a human heart.

I must confess that I am deeply convicted this morning about how I have presented Him--with both my words and my actions. For most of my life, I think I have "blasted" and steam rolled the gospel. Hey, I'll be honest. I've been argumentative and defensive and very prideful. I've been my own brand of Pharisee, maybe. Maybe not always--maybe there have been times when the gospel has come out right.

I am not saying, here, that I have changed what I believe. Definitely, I believe that hell is very real and that what people do with Jesus matters. It IS life and death--but I am not so sure that I have represented "LIFE" very well to others . . . In the end, I very much believe that until a person feels the conviction and weight of his or her own sin, they will not see Jesus for who He really is. And--if I get really, really honest I have to say that remains true for all of us even after our conversions. It's true for me.

Why am I sharing this here? Because I no longer want to write from that place that decides she is going to "fix" everyone else and "fix" all that is wrong in the world and in the Church. Yes, I know I wrote in my last post about our being peacemakers, and it is important that we defend Biblical truth. It is very important, but I have to be honest and say that the first peace to be made is in my own heart. Maybe, I'm seeing that defending Biblical truth goes way deeper than the words we throw around. Biblical truth is revealed in the way we live our daily lives and the way we minister grace and mercy to the people in those lives.

We aren't the ones who change people's minds and hearts--but we can be used to magnify and point to Christ. That is the kind of writer I want to be. That is the kind of person I want to be. I want to get Him right, and I want Him to get me right. Please pray for me, y'all. Please pray that the Spirit would continue to work in me teaching me gentleness, meekness, self-control . . . Please pray that I would learn to treat others with the same kind of Grace that Christ has treated me.

jo555

Postby jo555 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:09 pm

carpenterdaughter wrote:Just wanted to take a minute to share . . . not even certain where my "sharing" will end up--but still feel the need.

Something that is amazing me this morning is the way that the Spirit uses my own words to come back to me and reveal things to me about my own heart and life--my own motivations for writing and how I share the gospel. I fear that I have gotten it incredibly wrong more than I have gotten it right--which could, arguably, be a fault we all share. Another amazing thing is how that same Spirit can take pieces of circumstances and conversations, and yes, the Word of God to provoke change in a human heart.

I must confess that I am deeply convicted this morning about how I have presented Him--with both my words and my actions. For most of my life, I think I have "blasted" and steam rolled the gospel. Hey, I'll be honest. I've been argumentative and defensive and very prideful. I've been my own brand of Pharisee, maybe. Maybe not always--maybe there have been times when the gospel has come out right.

I am not saying, here, that I have changed what I believe. Definitely, I believe that hell is very real and that what people do with Jesus matters. It IS life and death--but I am not so sure that I have represented "LIFE" very well to others . . . In the end, I very much believe that until a person feels the conviction and weight of his or her own sin, they will not see Jesus for who He really is. And--if I get really, really honest I have to say that remains true for all of us even after our conversions. It's true for me.

Why am I sharing this here? Because I no longer want to write from that place that decides she is going to "fix" everyone else and "fix" all that is wrong in the world and in the Church. Yes, I know I wrote in my last post about our being peacemakers, and it is important that we defend Biblical truth. It is very important, but I have to be honest and say that the first peace to be made is in my own heart. Maybe, I'm seeing that defending Biblical truth goes way deeper than the words we throw around. Biblical truth is revealed in the way we live our daily lives and the way we minister grace and mercy to the people in those lives.

We aren't the ones who change people's minds and hearts--but we can be used to magnify and point to Christ. That is the kind of writer I want to be. That is the kind of person I want to be. I want to get Him right, and I want Him to get me right. Please pray for me, y'all. Please pray that the Spirit would continue to work in me teaching me gentleness, meekness, self-control . . . Please pray that I would learn to treat others with the same kind of Grace that Christ has treated me.

God bless you Carpenter's Daughter. May the Lord grant you your heart's desire.

Lord, help us to always have a heart that beats within yours. In Jesus name. Amen.

Next

Return to Theology Discussion and Chat