To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

UPDATING

Almost every writer procrastinates at some time or other. If you've been procrastinating, then this is the place to come. You can either enjoy wasting time with a bunch of other procrastinators, OR if a deadline is looming, you can ask for a kick start to get you back into action.

Moderators: itsjoanne, Sparrow

sampson95
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

UPDATING

Postby sampson95 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:44 am

Hey Deb and Everyone,

I have been hard at work on my idea for a book- Deb, your advice was absolutely correct :thumbs
I have been researching the development of the Heracles/Hercules myth and the theological development of the image of Samson, from Judge in the OT to Hero of Faith in the NT.

Usually, classicist and biblical scholars simply make a broad statement along the lines of either Samson is an adaption of the Greek god Heracles or that the Heracles myth absorbed the Samson account.

It is much more than that!!!!!!

My working hypothesis, which is getting substantiated with my research, is;
An early Heracles tradition cycle was brought to Canaan/Israel by the Philistines [archaeology supports this]. Upon encountering the Samson accounts, Heracles was elevated to mythic proportions, as the Philistines would not let this Danite shepherd be greater than their hero. Therefore, Samson was the original antecedent or generator of the Heracles myth. During the Hellenistic period, the worship of the now-god Heracles did absorb many aspects of "Samson" which relegated Samson to theological obscurity [he is not even mentioned in Sirach, for example]. However, the transformation of Heracles to Hercules, under Rome, which made the figure much less formidable provided the model for the NT writer of "Hebrews" to "elevate" Samson into a "Hero of Faith" (Heb. 11:32).

Deb, you are so right :bow - that my anxiety was a good thing as this is a perspective never taken. My working title is Samson and Hercules; Heroic Syncretism. Or, Samson and Hercules; the syncretism of Strength.

Thanks to all :thankssign

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: UPDATING

Postby Deb Porter » Sat May 03, 2014 6:37 pm

Hey there, Sampson. :wink: Just seeing this now.

I'm so glad you've set your nerves aside and just gone for it. Sounds like you are loving the expedition into new territory. Good on you!

(And always good to know I am right sometimes.) :lol:

Keep us up to date, mate.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Return to The Procrastinator's Patch