To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

CHESTER, ONE HAPPY DOGS LIFE

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

ROBIN
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

CHESTER, ONE HAPPY DOGS LIFE

Postby ROBIN » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:02 pm

My sister and brother-in-law have a Dachshund dog named Chester. He has lived with them for the past twenty years. The other day, as I arrived at their home: “there was Chester”, greeting us with such glee and appreciation. In human years he would be about 140 years. Believe me, he “IS” ancient. The point is, Chester doesn't know he is old. He is totally oblivious to the fact. He does not look at himself in the mirror and say, “my, my, just look how grey I am, just look how I have sagged and my tummy is nearly touching the ground.”

Yes! The reality is, in the natural, Chester has seen better days physically, but, my goodness me, his zest and enjoyment for life is undiminished. Now I must emphasize so there is no misunderstanding, Chester is well and very healthy for his age. He eats like a horse, oops, sorry Chester, wrong animal; like a dog. He is a dog that truly believes he is here on this earth to be a blessing. Old age is not a factor in his life. In his Dachshund doggy mind, he “believes” that he is as strong and able as any young Sausage. So glad he can’t read this. I think he might indignantly say, “How dare you call me a that!!” Sorry Chester! What I am saying to you is: you’re a legend. When I go to your house, you are always there to greet me, and sidle up to me to be patted and that, is endearing in itself. In your doggy way you always smile at me. You are always pleasant and affectionate. When I see you, I get the feeling that you are very content and just so grateful to be alive.

I believe Chester, you are saying, “I am just a dog but, man, oh man, life is good. I relish life and the privilege of living it for my masters. I will not limit my ability to ooze friendliness because of my age.” What can I say to that? Yes! I will say, well done Chester! I applaud you. This disposition and attitude announces itself and shines forth with a brightness that is quite remarkable. Chester, you are just one happy dog. You are an example to me as I mature in the life the Lord has given me.

SPIRITUAL TRUTH.
I believe that life has been given to me for a reason. What is that reason? I am to live it for and unto my heavenly Lord and Master, Jesus Christ. If life on this earth was all there was, how absolutely meaningless life would be. The scripture tells me that, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” (1 Cr 15:19) Since I accepted the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus into my heart, He has made “me free from the law of sin and death.” (Rom 8:2) I have become a new person. 2 Cr 5:17 says “Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” The life I now have, is a life of faith. This faith is focused on the Person who redeemed me from the sorry state I once lived in. “And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;” (Col 2:13) Wow! That’s awesome!

I should be the “happiest and contented” fellow on earth. If Chester who is a mere dog can be happy and contented with life and gives of himself, how much more should I, seeing that I have such assurance.
What is that?
I have been forgiven of all my sins.
I have been promised a life after this earthly sojourn is over.
I have hope now.
I have Life now.
I have the Holy Spirit now.
I have been called a king and priest unto God, now. (Rev. 1:6)
I have infused into every fiber of my being the very Life of Jesus Christ, now.
God lives in me, now.

Col 1:27 says “To whom God would make known what [is] the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:” I too, should never look on my present age, whether young or old, circumstance or disposition, with fear and trepidation. I have everything to live for both now and for eternity. Chester the Dachshund is unwittingly living the life I am supposed to live. He is living life to the full.

So should I, but with one profound difference. I am a representative, not of an earthly father or master, but an ambassador of the King Most High. That is the real motivation and meaning of living life to the full. Do I deserve it? No! It has been given to me freely. (Rom 5:15)” But not as the offence, so also [is] the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, [which is] by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.” Amen.

wheelygirl58
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: CHESTER, ONE HAPPY DOGS LIFE

Postby wheelygirl58 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 pm

Since I'm a new member to this fcrum , I'm 'playin' catch up' with a few of the threads. Robin, again, thanks for the this devotional-- may Chester be blessed with a couple more years with favorite humans.
I completely agree with what you had written:

"I have been forgiven of all my sins.
I have been promised a life after this earthly sojourn is over.
I have hope now.
I have Life now.
I have the Holy Spirit now.
I have been called a king and priest unto God, now. (Rev. 1:6)
I have infused into every fiber of my being the very Life of Jesus Christ, now.
God lives in me, now."
:thankssign :coolsign :superhappy
". . . but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31 This is, but only 1 of my life verses!!

ROBIN
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: CHESTER, ONE HAPPY DOGS LIFE

Postby ROBIN » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Chester had to be put down two days ago. He had a malignant growth in his mouth which was bleeding. My brother-in-law took him to the vet who informed him that he was just too old to get through a major operation. My sister told me that when her husband took Chester in to euthanize him, that just before the injection was to be administered; the lady vet said,"its time," Chester got up from a lying position. It was as if he knew. Very sad, but a life well lived.

Chester you were a legend.

Return to Encouragement from the Word