To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Forgiveness

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

Ltfaulds
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Forgiveness

Postby Ltfaulds » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

Luke 17:3-4
Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him.

Why are we supposed to forgive like this? If a brother came to me even three or four times in a day asking for forgiveness for the same thing, I would begin to doubt his sincerity. I would find it increasingly more difficult to forgive him. How can God ask us to do this? I believe He does so because it is how He forgives. Yes, I know, "...for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart." (1 Sam. 16:7b) I believe He is looking for any excuse He can find to forgive us. He wants to forgive us. He died to forgive us.
This does not mean we have a license to sin. His forgiveness takes care of any and all eternal punishment that sin may cause, but there is still temporal punishment for sin. "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Gal. 6:7) Sin always has some consequences. But God be praised, He will always restore our fellowship with Him through forgiveness.

Return to Encouragement from the Word