To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Simply Scripture

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Simply Scripture

Postby totallylovedbygod » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:22 am

Welcome to Simply Scripture

What a joy and privilege it is to share with you once again. I do hope you are blessed by what the Lord has shared with me and I am sharing with you. Please take time to pass on this message to others and to also click on the links at the bottom of this message

Thanks

Keith

GUARD YOUR MOUTH

Matthew 5

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil

The subject that we are going to study, is one of the most important in scripture and is so important to the believer. We start off by taking these verses as our text, but we will be all over scripture, so please keep an open Bible at your fingertips.

You may have guessed that the subject is the tongue.. what we say is so important.. it reflects our Lord in so many ways and it is important to understand what scripture says .. about what to say and what not to say.

Many Christian's today say it makes no difference to swear.. the world does it.. and if a Christian swears or uses bad language.. then well we are only human really. This is not what scripture says at all.

We are to be distinct and completely different from the world. In 2 Corinthians 5:17, Paul states that we are new creations. in verse 21 he says that we are ambassadors for Christ, we are the Lord mouthpieces on this earth. Romans 12:2, states that we are to be transformed by the renewing of our mind, and not conformed to what is happening in the world.

Romans 12: 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Jesus states in Matthew 12:33-36, these words:

33 Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

He makes the connection between the heart and the mouth, whatever is in our heart will eventually come out of our mouth. He gives a stern warning, that any and every idle word, we will have to make account for before the Father.

What excuse is good enough for gossiping about another believer, the Lord is going to ask us why we did it, can you answer Him?

Paul and James also have stern words so say, In Ephesians 4:29, Paul says let no corrupt communication come out of your mouth, in the very next verse, he says do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, do our words, grieve the spirit of God.?

Colossians 3:8 is another key verse, we are to put off these things, look at this list.

8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.

James in Chapter 3:1-13, writes possibly the greatest passage on the tongue, he says so much, please study this in detail for yourself, this is such an awesome passage.

One of the best chapters in the bible is Proverbs 15, the tongue is described here as:

verse 2 It uses knowledge
Verse 4 it is a tree of life
verse 7 it disperses knowledge
verse 23 it brings joy to the speaker
verse 26 words of the pure are pleasant

Does My/your tongue do these things?

Having found out that the words we speak are so important, how do we control the tongue? Well we have to let the word of God penetrate our souls, the psalmist wrote, thy word have I hid in my heart that I may not sin against thee, it is important to let the word of God penetrate our hearts Colossians 3:16.

There are some things the Lord wants us to speak

Speak Praise Hebrews 13:15, Psalm 34:1 Psalm 40:3

How Important this is, in Psalm 34:1, we are told that the praises of God are to be continually in our mouths, if this happens then there is no room for gossip, complaining or backbiting.

Speak Prayer Phil:4:6, 1 Thess 5:17

What an awesome privilege, you know the more time you spend talking and spending time with the Holy one of Israel, your speech will become more and more beautiful, because you realise you are in the presence of the Holy one and your speech will be reverent and good.

Speak Peace Proverbs 15:1, 16:7, Psalm 15:3

Jesus Said My peace I give unto you, my peace I leave with you. How often with our words in various situations, do we bring the peace of Jesus into that situation or leave the peace of God with the person we are talking too?

Speak Unity John 17, Psalm 133,Ephesians 4:1-16

I was so struck with the verse in Galatians 5, which says

15But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

This is so important, we are doing the same work for God, the devil wants to destroy the church and our fellow believers, let us not help him by our careless use of our mouths.

Speak Love 1 John 3:11-14

Galatians 6

10As we have therefore opportunity, let us do good unto all men, especially unto them who are of the household of faith.

Let us do this, in both word and deed, note it does not say, be good to those in your own church, but it means to be kind to all believers, including those of churches where we have doctrinal differences and that means with our words.

Do we speak badly of another church?.

Speak the Word Matthew 4:1-11

Let us use the same method, Jesus used to derail the devil. The word of God, it works every time, the power of the Word will always defeat Satan, it is our sword and we have to use it, as it gives us victory every time.

Speak the Name of Jesus Phil 2:5-8

The name of Jesus has authority, we can use this name , because it has authority. Peter and John used it in Acts 3 to heal the crippled man and still today the devil cringes at this name, let us use the glorious name of Jesus.

Speak Victory 2 Cor 10:4-5, James 4:7-8,Matthew 17:20

Let us always remember that we have the victory through Jesus Christ, let us always be looking up to Jesus and to Him, because He has won us that victory, let us never speak negative words of defeat, He didn't even when on the cross.

Speak Witness 2 Timothy 4:1-3, Isaiah 52:7, 62:6, Romans 10:9-14,Acts 4:19-20

This is our commission, this is our privilege to carry the gospel to a needy world. Let us be eager and ready to do this, let our mouths be full of the story of our Saviour.

I hope you are blessed by this study.

God bless you

Keith

Featured Website

Please stand with these dear brothers and sisters in prayer and support

http://www.asianoutreach.org/

Special Song

I hope you enjoy and are blessed by this wonderful song. I hope the wind of God's Spirit.. blows through every area of your life and the life of your church

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWGJ5EFjkE
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word