To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Spirit Steps Acts 3:1-8

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Spirit Steps Acts 3:1-8

Postby totallylovedbygod » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:05 am

Welcome to Spirit Steps

Well, we are now in chapter 3, only 26 chapters to go. I do hope you are keeping up.

Please take time to view the links at the bottom of this message, they will truly bless and encourage you.

I would be grateful, if you would pass on these messages to all your friends, let's get the word out into the world.

Thanks

God bless you

Keith

FULL OF THE HOLY SPIRIT AND HIS ANOINTED POWER

Spirit Steps

Chapter 3

1NOW PETER and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour (three o'clock in the afternoon),

2[When] a certain man crippled from his birth was being carried along, who was laid each day at that gate of the temple [which is] called Beautiful, so that he might beg for charitable gifts from those who entered the temple.

3So when he saw Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked them to give him a gift.

4And Peter directed his gaze intently at him, and so did John, and said, Look at us!

5And [the man] paid attention to them, expecting that he was going to get something from them.

6But Peter said, Silver and gold (money) I do not have; but what I do have, that I give to you: in [the [a]use of] the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk!

7Then he took hold of the man's right hand with a firm grip and raised him up. And at once his feet and ankle bones became strong and steady,

8And leaping forth he stood and [b]began to walk, and he went into the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God.

Well the Day of Pentecost has now ended. So had the outpouring of God's Spirit?.. the answer is NO.

The man who was laid there, saw literally thousands of people, pass him by, every single day.

Day after day, thousands of people must have walked past him. But these two, were different.

Of all the people, he saw daily, going into the temple, he asked these two for a gift. I wonder what made them stand out. There must have been hundreds and hundreds of people that were going into the temple to pray at that time.

I would suggest to you, that what made Peter and John stand out, like light beacons was because, they were so full of the Holy Spirit and His anointed power.

That my friends, is what makes us stand out in the crowd.

Do you stand out in the crowded world, or do you blend into it?

The second thing, I really want to focus on, is what Peter said to Him in Verse 6. He was not rich in monetary terms, but he had Jesus to offer to the crippled Man.

In the same way, we cannot offer people things of monetary value, but we can offer them Jesus.

Like Peter, we can share with them that Jesus came to heal the broken hearted to deliver those who were captive and set people at liberty (Isaiah 61:1)... Amen!

Luke 4

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Please note, that in verse 7, it says, he took a firm grip on the man and pulled him up.

Look at Peter's faith, he was absolutely confident in the ability of God to heal this man, there wasn't a doubt in his mind. When we believe that God will do something and reach out in faith, God will respond, because acting in faith pleases God - Hebrews 11:1 & 6.

My fellow brethren, we have to act in faith. Jesus said that we would do greater works than he did... wow isn't that incredible!

John 14

11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me; or else believe me for the sake of the [very] works themselves. [If you cannot trust me, at least let these works that I do in My Father's name convince you.]

12I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, if anyone steadfastly believes in me, he will himself be able to do the things that I do; and he will do even greater things than these, because I go to the Father.

13And I will do [I myself will grant] whatever you ask in My Name [as [b]presenting all that I AM], so that the Father may be glorified and extolled in (through) the Son.

Matthew Henry comments on the above verses

I. Great power on earth (v. 12): He that believeth on me (as I know you do), the works that I do shall he do also. This does not weaken the argument Christ had taken from his works, to prove himself one with the Father (that others should do as great works), but rather strengthens it; for the miracles which the apostles wrought were wrought in His name, and by faith in Him; and this magnifies His power more than any thing, that He not only wrought miracles Himself, but gave power to others to do so too.

1. Two things he assures them of:—
(1.) That they should be enabled to do such works as He had done, and that they should have a more ample power for the doing of them than they had had when He first sent them forth, Matt. x. 8. Did Christ heal the sick, cleanse the leper, raise the dead? So should they. Did He convince and convert sinners, and draw multitudes to Him? So should they. Though He should depart, the work should not cease, nor fall to the ground, but should be carried on as vigorously and successfully as ever; and it is still in the doing.

(2.) That they should do greater works than these. [1.] In the kingdom of nature they should work greater miracles. No miracle is little, but some to our apprehension seem greater than others. Christ had healed with the hem of His garment, but Peter with his shadow (Acts v. 15),

Paul by the handkerchief that had touched him, Acts xix. 12. Christ wrought miracles for two or three years in one country, but His followers wrought miracles in His name for many ages in divers countries. You shall do greater works, if there be occasion, for the glory of God. The prayer of faith, if at any time it had been necessary, would have removed mountains. [2.] In the kingdom of grace. They should obtain greater victories by the gospel than had been obtained while Christ was upon earth.

The truth is, the captivating of so great a part of the world to Christ, under such outward disadvantages, was the miracle of all. I think this refers especially to the gift of tongues; this was the immediate effect of the pouring out of the Spirit, which was a constant miracle upon the mind, in which words are framed, and which was made to serve so glorious an intention as that of spreading the gospel to all nations in their own language. This was a greater sign to them that believed not (1 Cor. xiv. 22), and more powerful for their conviction, than any other miracle whatever.

My brothers and sisters, Peter and John, weren't super saints; they were ordinary men, filled with the power of God. Later on in Acts, the Council were amazed, because they were unlearned, but they had been with Jesus, and here is the point, when we spend time in the presence of Jesus, and are filled with supernatural power of the Holy Spirit, than we are able to do things that are amazing.

You may not be able to give people silver or gold, but you can offer them JESUS.

ARE YOU OFFERING PEOPLE JESUS?

God bless you

Keith

Featured Website

Please use this website to send one of your friends a card to tell them how much they mean to you

http://cards.heartlight.org/

My website

Please read the wonderful Story of Salvation

http://www.ourchurch.com/member/f/faith ... tion-Focus

Special Feature

Please listen to this wonderful man of God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cncEhCvr ... ure=relmfu
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word