To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Spirit Steps Acts 2:38-41

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Spirit Steps Acts 2:38-41

Postby totallylovedbygod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:08 am

Welcome to Spirit Steps

We are coming to the climax of the Day of Pentecost....Peter has finished his sermon . What happens next is amazing.. it is awesome and it can and will happen today.. amen. I hope you are enjoying these studies.

Please click on the links at the bottom to view the featured page on the website and also pass on this message to all your friends and contacts.

Thanks

God bless you

Keith

KEY ATTRIBUTE OF A CHRISTIAN - REPENTANCE

Acts 2

38And Peter answered them, Repent (change your views and purpose to accept the will of God in your inner selves instead of rejecting it) and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of and release from your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

39For the promise [of the Holy Spirit] is to and for you and your children, and to and for all that are far away, [even] to and for as many as the Lord our God invites and bids to come to Himself.

40And [Peter] [i]solemnly and earnestly witnessed (testified) and admonished (exhorted) with much more continuous speaking and warned (reproved, advised, encouraged) them, saying, Be saved from this crooked (perverse, wicked, unjust) generation.

41Therefore those who accepted and welcomed his message were baptized, and there were added that day about 3,000 souls.

In verse 37 of this chapter, we observed that the people, who were listening to Peter's sermon, were cut to the heart and asked what should they do.

We noticed that when the gospel is preached in power and authority and Jesus is the One lifted up, that the Holy Spirit works IN POWER.

It reminds me of the words in Hebrews 4:

12 For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] spirit, and of joints and marrow [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.

We are going to look at Peter's response to the question asked in Verse 37.

The first word, he utters in answering their question is.. REPENT. not even in those days was it popular to say this word and although it is not popular today, we must preach repentance! Amen. Paul says to Timothy.. to Preach the Gospel.. in and out of season..2 Timothy 4:2.

Whether it is popular or not to preach repentance, we must preach it. This is one word that that the world doesn't want to hear, because it comes with the implication, that we have something to turn from .. Amen.

To repent.. means to turn from sin and head in the opposite direction. It means you literally reject the way of sin and that it becomes something that you hate.

If to repent was a personal and heart thing, then to be BAPTISED was and is a very public thing. Now I realise that there are many of you who do not believe in it.

Well Jesus practised it and here, right at the start of the Church's existence, we have it embedded into the church fabric so to speak.

Baptism by full immersion is biblical my friend, it is a sign to the world, that you are identified with Christ - Romans chapter 6. I would encourage you to seek the Lord on this matter.

Aren't verses 38-39 amazing... all through Old Testament, the Holy Spirit was on the Mighty men of God.. now it was being promised to the Jews.. to live inside of them.. and that promise still stands today....Amen

Peter stated that this world was perverse and corrupt, strong words. He had great boldness and was only interested in one thing and that was saving souls.. he was not interested in bowing down to political correctness or to the the world's standards. He and the apostles were not politically correct.. instead that sought to stand against the authorities, who were corrupt. Amen! If it was corrupt and perverse in the days of the apostles, I wonder what words they would use , if they were around today?

We must always be obedient to Governments, but if they break God's law, we must never be afraid to stand up for our Lord and say that what they are doing is not right and is wrong in the eyes of the Lord. Remember that we are the Lord's voice on the earth.

Three thousands souls were converted.. wow.. now that's amazing and that they were all baptised on the same day.. it would have gone on all night.. oh! for that to happen in today's world. It can still happen.. has the Lord changed?. Do you or your church believe it can still happen today?

The First church was so strong, because of the first sermon.. they knew.. each and every one of them, what they were saved from.. the power and penalty of sin, through the Cross and Resurrection of Jesus. They produced mighty men and women of God, because these were people who had turned and repented of their sins and were walking in God's way.

Church, we need to preach repentance. God saves and gives us so much.. but He demands repentance from us.. probably the KEY attribute of the Christian.. is that he/she has a repentant heart. Even if they do sin.. it is not long before their heart cry is like David's ...

Psalm 51:

1HAVE MERCY upon me, O God, according to Your steadfast love; according to the multitude of Your tender mercy and loving-kindness blot out my transgressions.

2Wash me thoroughly [and repeatedly] from my iniquity and guilt and cleanse me and make me wholly pure from my sin!

3For I am conscious of my transgressions and I acknowledge them; my sin is ever before me.

4Against You, You only, have I sinned and done that which is evil in Your sight, so that You are justified in Your sentence and faultless in Your judgment.

May God Bless you

Keith

Featured Website

Please read this wonderful website. Please pray and support this wonderful ministry.

http://www.mission2russia.org/Mission_T ... /Home.html

My Website

Please read the Guest Page. This has some of the best teaching on the web and changes every week.

http://www.ourchurch.com/member/f/faith ... Guest-Page

Special Teaching

This is a wonderful teaching on missions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTeUlHTT ... re=related
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word