To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Simply Scripture

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Simply Scripture

Postby totallylovedbygod » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Welcome to Simply Scripture

It is an honour to share about this passage of scripture. This is my favourite passage of all in the bible.. here I have barely scratched the surface and I would invite you to go deeper not only with reading this passage but with God.

I hope you will be blessed and encouraged.

Before you start reading.. grab your bible and make yourself something to drink and go on then.. get a cake.. make mine a doughnut.. covered with maple syrup.

Please share these messages with all your friends and contacts and click on the featured page link at the bottom

Thanks

God bless you

Your friend

Keith

Philippians 3 (Amplified Bible)

7 But whatever former things I had that might have been gains to me, I have come to consider as [[a]one combined] loss for Christ's sake.

8 Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish (refuse, dregs), in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One),

9 And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, not having any [self-achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law's demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] faith.

10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[b]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]

11 That if possible I may attain to the [[c]spiritual and moral] resurrection [that lifts me] out from among the dead [even while in the body].

12 Not that I have now attained [this ideal], or have already been made perfect, but I press on to lay hold of (grasp) and make my own, that for which Christ Jesus (the Messiah) has laid hold of me and made me His own.
13 I do not consider, brethren, that I have captured and made it my own [yet]; but one thing I do [it is my one aspiration]: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,

14 I press on toward the goal to win the [supreme and heavenly] prize to which God in Christ Jesus is calling us upward.

15 So let those [of us] who are spiritually mature and full-grown have this mind and hold these convictions; and if in any respect you have a different attitude of mind, God will make that clear to you also.

16 Only let us hold true to what we have already attained and walk and order our lives by that.

I approach this passage knowing that whatever is written here by me, will only scratch the surface of this amazing passage.. indeed this is the situation with every word of the Scriptures, you can only scratch the surface a little bit.. AMEN
Knowing this, I just offer these few thoughts to encourage and strengthen you in your walk with God.

As I looked into this wonderful passage, the Lord laid 5 words on my heart

The first of these is:
INTENT

Paul sets out his stall so to speak, you are left in no doubt, what he is about and what he is going to do. He is unequivocal in what he is going to do, he is not caught between opinions.

Let's look at what he is going to do

He is going to give up those things that are of no use to Him. He regards these things as total rubbish. Let me ask you what do you do with things that are rubbish? You throw them out to be disposed of.. they are of no further use to you? Have you thrown out the things believer, that you have no further use for..., such as your old habits and attitudes which are hindering your walk with Christ? vs 7-8
He Gives up his own righteousness, if anyone was a pure Jew it was Paul. He was soaked in the law, he knew it back to front and lived life in observance of the law.

Look at the first few verses of this chapter as Paul outlined his heritage. Paul was prepared to give it all up, whatever was in his past life, he gave up

Verse 9. Being a christian is a relationship.. NOT A religion. Get rid believer of all the old rules and regulations that stop you from knowing God in all his fullness
He intended to forget everything what had happened in the past, he knew that to look back to what had happened was no good. Yes we can reflect and learn from our past, but here Paul is saying, that he will not dwell on his past. vs 13
He intends to press on to obtain what God has called Him to.. note Paul says God is calling us upward verse 14. Yes God is calling us to heaven one day, but also God is calling us to a closer and deeper walk with Him

What are you intending to do believer?. Are your intentions clear?
Are you prepared to give up things that are hindering your walk with your Lord?
Are you prepared to give up that sin or habit that hinders God blessing you?
Are you intending to know Christ in a deeper and fuller way... if so why not?
God wants you to make your intentions clear.. it is time to make your choice
INTENSITY

As you read this passage and also the writings of Paul, as he was inspired by the HOLY SPIRIT, you cannot fail to be touched by His complete intensity. His passion for Christ is just so incredible. Look at some of things he says in this passage:

Verse 8 stands out:

8 Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord and of progressively becoming more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him [of perceiving and recognizing and understanding Him more fully and clearly]. For His sake I have lost everything and consider it all to be mere rubbish (refuse, dregs), in order that I may win (gain) Christ (the Anointed One)

Paul says that knowing Jesus is overwhelming precious, that it surpasses all worth and is of supreme advantage. What a total intensity Paul describes, Jesus is above worth to Him.
Is Jesus above worth to you?
Is knowing HIM the greatest privilege in your life?

If he isn't then you need to ask if your faith is real?

INTIMACY

10 [For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly], and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection [[b]which it exerts over believers], and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed [in spirit into His likeness even] to His death, [in the hope]

Complete and total intimacy with Christ is the total desire of Paul and he will let nothing get in his way.

Note that this is a progressive thing, this is not a once for all experience. You grow into a relationship with Christ. In verse 10, Paul wants to know Christ Jesus and the wonders of His person more and more strongly and this means sacrifice on his part.
Do you know Jesus in a deeper and fuller way than you did, one year ago?. Not do you know more of the bible or church procedure? Do you know Jesus more deeply and know His touch upon your life?
IDENTIFICATION
VERSE 10 (King James)

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
The Resurrection of Jesus was the most dynamic event of History, the awesome power of God was shown to the world. Paul wants to know the same power in his life that exploded within the tomb on that resurrection morning. He wants to know the full power of God that was unleashed.. do you want to know the same power unleashed within your life?
He also wanted to know the fellowship of his sufferings, Paul wanted to be Identified with the sufferings and death of the Lord Jesus. It must be the heart cry of every believer, to not only Know Christ, but to go through what Jesus went through. How can we do this?
We have to literally die to self and sin through putting God on the throne of our life and crucifying sin and their selfish lusts daily.

Galatians 2 (Amplified Bible)

20 I have been crucified with Christ [in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ (the Messiah) lives in me; and the life I now live in the body I live by faith in (by adherence to and reliance on and complete trust in) the Son of God, Who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

Galatians 5 (Amplified Bible)

16But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).

By Dying to self and sin, we are literally putting our own life on our personal cross, we are dealing with the flesh in a way that will truly destroy it, but this is a daily and ongoing process.

INSPIRATION
Well surely this life that Paul describes is for super saints, like Paul?
But in these last few verses, Paul although having stated his intentions, gives us real inspiration.
He says in these verses that he hasn't reached this target. Now if Paul hadn't reached this level, then I don't think we have.. AMEN.
This gives me real hope, Paul the man who was a giant in faith, is still striving to reach this goal. This to me is a complete inspiration, it motivates me and I like Paul, want to PRESS ON
In verse 15, Paul says that those of the church, who have a different approach, will be corrected by God himself.
In closing my brothers and sisters, the higher we climb in our christian walk, the less of self and sin there must be.
Are you prepared to live at high altitude and to Know Christ above everything else, like Paul was?
OH TO KNOW CHRIST IN THIS WAY.. ARE THESE VERSES THE DEEPEST CRY OF YOUR HEART?
What a passage this is..AMEN

GOD BLESS YOU
Keith

Featured website

Please take time to visit this wonderful site, that encourages us to Pray

http://www.24-7prayer.com/

Featured Website Link

Please take time to view this wonderful page, with beautiful prayers

http://www.ourchurch.com/member/f/faith ... ayer-Power
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word