To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Simply Scripture

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Simply Scripture

Postby totallylovedbygod » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:22 am

Welcome to Simply Scripture

What an honour and Privilege, it is to share, from God's holy and Precious Word. I would be grateful, if you were to forward this message onto all your friends. Let's get the word of God out into the world

Please click on the featured page links at the bottom of this message. you will be richly blessed

Thanks

God bless

Keith

Joshua 24
19And Joshua said to the people, You cannot serve the Lord, for He is a holy God; He is a jealous God. He will not forgive your transgressions or your sins.
20If you forsake the Lord and [b]serve strange gods, then He will turn and do you harm and consume you, after having done you good.
21And the people said to Joshua, No; but we will serve the Lord.
22Then Joshua said to the people, You are witnesses against yourselves that you have chosen the Lord, to serve Him. And they said, We are witnesses.
23Then put away, said he, the foreign gods that are among you and incline your hearts to the Lord, the God of Israel.

24The people said to Joshua, The Lord our God we will serve; His voice we will obey.

In His final address to the people, he had led into the promised land. Joshua shares what the true implications and cost of following God are.

In these closing chapters of the Book that is named after him, he pulls no punches, sharing openly and telling the people what is expected of them.

In verse 19, Joshua shared with the children of Israel, who their Master was. That he was and is Holy and jealous. You know my friend, the Lord is our best friend, but we must always remember, who He is. He is not to be taken or treated lightly. He is the one who is Lord over all, the one who brought this world into being and the one who is worthy of all praise and honour.

Let us at all times, show due reverence to the one we serve and give HIM all glory, blessing and power.

They had come a long way since they crossed the Jordan, but there was more land to be possessed, more enemies to be fought. This is always the case for the Christ Follower, we are never told to rest on our achievements, yes we are told to rest in the Lord, but never to rest and stop seeking to progress in ways of the Lord and battling the enemy of our souls.

The children of Israel had a stark choice put in front of them, to serve the Lord or not to serve him. For the Christ follower, there is a stark choice to be made and there is only decision that can be made and that is to follow Jesus with every ounce of our being.

God puts before you this choice, he does not force you to follow him. This is a love relationship and he wants you to love Him and serve Him, for who he is and not for what you can gain for yourself. If you give yourself totally to Him, he will give you more than you ever imagined, riches that are far above rubies and these riches will never lose value, indeed as time goes on, they will increase in value.

The children of Israel, came into the promised land, still desiring to hold on to their past, even though God had given them the land, they still looked longingly at their past and yearned after it. That is why at their first opportunity, they strayed and served foreign gods.

The last 2 chapters of the book of Joshua are required reading. Study them and ask yourself, the very questions, that were asked by Joshua to the children of Israel.

The children of Israel, wanted truly to serve God, but they also wanted things made easy and comfortable for them. Let us always, be people, who not only serve with our mouths, but serve the Lord with our hearts. It is so easy to talk and say in church "yes we will serve the Lord", and then when we get out into the world , we crumble.

The children of Israel,were numerous in number and they probably felt comfortable saying these things. You know brothers and sisters, we can have that safety in numbers attitude ourselves. It is easy to say in front of believers on Sunday morning, that we love and serve Jesus, but difficult to say it, in front of your unbelieving work colleagues on Monday morning.

What a difference a day makes?

LET US FINISH WITH THE WORDS OF JESUS

MATTHEW 15:8

THIS PEOPLE DRAWETH NIGH UNTO ME WITH THEIR MOUTH, AND HONOURETH ME WITH THEIR LIPS, BUT THEIR HEART IS FAR FROM ME

Let me ask this question, to myself and you, the reader. How close is our heart to the Lord? It is not enough to sing hymns on Sunday and then be far away from him, the rest of the week. Being a christian, means 100% commitment, 24/7

My brothers and Sisters, let us be true to the Lord. Let us speak the truth to Him also. May our lives at all times, back up what our mouths say.

It is time also to stop preaching a gospel, that is soapy. We need to share with people, that when they become christians, they become servants of God. Life as a christian is one of service and subjection to the will of God. We need to tell people, that God deserves and expects their whole lives as a living sacrifie. Romans 12:1-2.

When we sing.. I surrender all.. let us mean it with all our hearts.. amen

Let us draw nigh to God with a pure heart and choose this day to serve Him

God bless you

Keith

Featured website

Please click the Link to read about the London City Mission. If the Lord leads then please support them in prayer and giving.
This city is central, not only to the UK, but also it is one of the key cities in this world. This mission, has been founded 150 years and deserves your prayer support, if nothing else. If you have any websites, that would benefit, from going on the featured website link, then please reply to this message, giving me the website link.

http://www.lcm.org.uk/

Featured Website Link

Please check out the Guest Page. This page contains the very best christian articles on the web, and is changed every Tuesday and Friday, so please come back often

http://www.ourchurch.com/member/f/faith ... Guest-Page
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word