To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Simply Scripture

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Simply Scripture

Postby totallylovedbygod » Thu May 13, 2010 9:39 am

Welcome to Simply Scripture

Believe it or not, this study was first written , back in 2006, but this is such an important subject.. it is the cause of so many Pastors, Christian Leaders and Ordinary believers falling into sin.. it is PRIDE.

I write this, because I can easily be led into pride..praise for the devotions/studies.. can go to my head. I have to realise that it is God that uses me and that I am nothing at all, without Him. He is the inspiration behind everything that I do, it is His Holy Spirit that opens up his word to me, it is the Holy Spirit who speaks to people's hearts.

I wish to give all the glory and praise to the Lord.. he alone is my inspiration.. he alone is my everything and I am nothing without Him

If you don't think, you suffer from this, then please go no further.. but it would be for your benefit if you did. So please grab your bible and also get yourself comfortable with a cup of tea/coffee/soft drink and a cake if you must

Please pass this message onto all your friends and please click the link at the bottom of this message

Thanks

God bless

Keith

Before a fall

In the life of the believer,there are many things that the devil brings to attack us with, and one of the most prevalent is the one of PRIDE, and today we are going to look at the reasons behind it and the remedy for it.
Reasons for Pride:

Pride goes back right before the formation of the earth, indeed it was the reason why the devil was thrown out of heaven see Isaiah 14:12-17, basically it is the "I" syndrome, we want to be seen, we want to be in first place.
In Mark 7:22, the seriousness of pride is brought home to us by Jesus himself, look at the sins, it is associated with, then the next time you are tempted by pride, remember this verse.
Mark 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness:
Warnings are given by Paul in the following verses
1Co 10:12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.
Phil 3:4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Results of Pride:

The Old Testament was written for our learning, we can see all through the history of the children of Israel that pride was a major problem and had terrible consequences for them and their fellowship with God and each other.
It leads to destruction, these verses say that it is because of pride that Moab and the children of Ammon will be like Sodom and Gomorrah because of their Pride, this is a stark warning to us all
Zephaniah 2:9-10 Therefore as I live, saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Surely Moab shall be as Sodom, and the children of Ammon as Gomorrah, even the breeding of nettles, and saltpits, and a perpetual desolation: the residue of my people shall spoil them, and the remnant of my people shall possess them. This shall they have for their pride, because they have reproached and magnified themselves against the people of the LORD of hosts.
Pride will deceive you, you will think more of yourself, than you ought, you will exalt yourself and believe the hype so to speak, this is clearly shown by the prophet Obadiah is his short but powerful book.

Oba 1:3 The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
It leads to contention and division in the ranks of God's people, how often have we seen Churches, families and even ministries crumble because of this problem? Solomon in this verse squarely puts it down to pride.
Pro 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.
Pride will cause Real pain, the prophet here is in anguish, he is weeping , seeing the children of Israel carried away captive, this church is what can and will happen to us, if we refuse to listen and learn that pride is not to be treated lightly.
Jer 13:17 But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret places for your pride; and mine eye shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because the LORD'S flock is carried away captive.
Remedy for Pride:
So Can pride be dealt with in the life of the believer,Yes, Praise God, here are a few principles that will help you in your walk
Phil 2:5 and Hebrews 12:2

Look constantly at the example of Jesus, focus on him, look at his life, when we follow him, we have to cast aside any thoughts of ourselves, more of Jesus = less of us.
Col 3:16, Romans 12:2 and Philippians 4:7-8
The mind is the battleground, every day, we have to deal with incoming thoughts, and how do we do this? By giving the word of God the keys to your mind and letting it take up permanent residence.
Proverbs 23:7 and 1 Cor 2:16
We have the victory through Christ, we have the mind of Christ and we have to confess that daily and often, if indeed we have the mind of Christ, can we be prideful ? No, of course not. Did Jesus have any pride in him? No, of course not, so speak that YOU HAVE THE MIND OF CHRIST, as when we confess in Jesus name .. It has power.
James 4:7-8 and 1 Peter 5:6
Both of these saints of God, tell us to humble ourselves and James states that we are to stand and fight against the devil, resist Him, if you do he wont put up much of a fight, he cannot stand against your authority, if you rebuke him in the name of Jesus

Proverbs 4:23

Remember it is your responsibility to keep your heart, you are the keeper of your heart, you do not know other people's hearts. With all diligence, don't take your mind off Jesus for one second, keep a watchful eye as it is your responsibility.

Also we must go back to our roots so to speak and that is to go back to the one place that puts everything into perspective for the believer and that is the cross, when you look at the cross, all proud thoughts are blown away

For further Study

Proverbs 6:16-19
1 John 1:8-2:2
1 Corinthians 9:27

I hope this has blessed your heart

God bless and thanks for Reading

Keith

Please read the featured page link, which relates to my homeland.. the UK. We need prayer for this country.. so please click on the link and join us in prayer

http://www.ourchurch.com/member/f/faith ... ain-Ablaze
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word