To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Adding value

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

aussiegal
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Adding value

Postby aussiegal » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:11 pm

I love to look for new ways to express familiar concepts. I like to take the old words that have become almost meaningless and say them in modern words that fire them with clarity and understanding.
Today I thought about the familiar command to Christians: Love one another.
We all know what it means, or do we? Have warm feelings? Be kind? And so on. But what does it look fleshed out in the rushing around days of my hectic life where I bump into all kinds of people, some I like and some I don't.
In the business world we hear about "adding value", and I think I can use it to revolutionize my relationships and do exactly what scripture commands.
If I see that everyone I meet has inherent value as a creation of God, then I will either add to their value, or diminish their value (subtract from it) by the words I speak and by my attitude.
If my goal is "to love" or "add value", then I can ask myself, "How can I add value to this person's life?
It could be a smile, a word of encouragement, a phone call, a touch, a prayer, a kind helpful deed...whatever seems to be the most appropriate word or action for the moment.

In actuality, I would be bringing Christ to that person in some way.
Conversely, if I gossip, judge and crtiicize, or any other sin against people, then I am guilty of diminishing that person in the eyes of others, not "adding value."
I have at least one very difficult person in my life who causes me angst on a daily basis. I often flare up in anger and frustration and self defense.
I have no loving feelings whatsoever, in fact my feelings are extremely negative, most of the time.
But what would happen if I asked God "How can I bless this person with your love today? How can I add value to their life?"

If I am sincere, I think I will hear some instructions, and then I can truly act in "agape", selfless love.

To think in terms of "adding value" gets me out of the realm of "feelings" into a concrete, practical world of "action" which is what faith and love are all about..faith acts through love...I can act without love, but I cannot truly love without actions.

AnneRene'
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby AnneRene' » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:00 am

How perfect and well said!

The Lord led me to share this wonderful graphic this morning and your post confirmed it. Amen.

I have started posting on Sunday's, to the Southern Porch Extension and the Pacific Coast Rest-Top, under USA forums and this one is the one God led me to, for today. However...I wanted to start posting, where everyone would be lifted up and God brought me here. Amen again.

So, I just started a new post called: Medleys of Spiritual Uplifting, also in: Encouragement from the Word.

Blessings Aussiegal

Toni Star
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Good point!

Postby Toni Star » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:00 pm

You made several good points here in your article but I especially like and agree, with your words, "...I can act without love, but I cannot truly love without actions."

Jesus was a man of action and His actions continue to show us the way..

Toni
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."

aussiegal
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby aussiegal » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm

AnneRene'..what a beautiful graphic.
Last Sunday evening I drove past the vast open space of Chicago's O'Hare Airport and I could have drowned in the sunset. Flames of color filled the entire western half of the sky, and glinted brightly off the downtown skyscrapers far on the Eastern horizon.
Truly Psalm 19 says it so well:
"The heavens declare the glory of God,
the skies proclaim the work of His hands,
Day after day they pour forth speech, night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language
where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the end of the world.
In the heavens he has pitched a tent for the sun declaring the glory of God."

Return to Encouragement from the Word