To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Our Lifeline

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

writeheart
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Our Lifeline

Postby writeheart » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 pm

The heart is the lifeline of our ship. It resembles the ship’s motor. If the motor dies, the ship dies. “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life” (Prov. 4:23). Ugly words and good words come out of the heart. The former will cause the helm to steer the wrong course.

We tend to look on the paint job and decorating on the ship. We may think, Let me sail in that ship. What a beauty! Are the mechanics of that ship in good shape? Is it sea worthy? Will it keep out the water? It is nice to have a beautiful ship in which to sail. What good will that do if it sinks or malfunctions?

God looks on the heart—our lifeline. “But the Lord said unto Samuel, “Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart” (1 Sam. 16:7).

Does our lifeship keep out the water or do big waves splash into our ship? Circumstances, doubt, pride, upset our vessel. Faith, humility, and peace keep us afloat as we sail on troubled seas. Can we cross the Red Seas or Jordans in our lives?

When our heart does not keep right with God, it causes our lifeship to capsize. God wants to give us a new heart. “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh” (Eze. 36:26). He gives us soft hearts.

A sailor with a soft heart hungers after the Word of God. She reads it, studies it, memorizes it, and meditates upon it. She becomes a doer, not merely a hearer of the Word. It changes her life.

Others can trust a good Christian woman. “The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her” (Prov. 31:11). She honors her husband and cares for his needs.

As she applies the Word to herself, she grows in knowledge and in understanding. The Holy Spirit in her heart aids the process. She possesses a sound heart because she trusts in the Captain of her ship.

He fills her heart with joy even in the midst of sorrows and troubles. God says, “A merry heart doeth good like a medicine” (Prov. 17:22). A rejoicing heart aids her physical well-being, as well as her spiritual health.

When a sailor possesses a wise heart, others rejoice also. When people see her wisdom, they call her prudent. She speaks wise words from the treasures in her heart. She seeks and gains knowledge of her Creator. She guides her heart in the right way.
On the other hand, a bitter heart ends up steering into the crags and shoals. The wise woman forgives the sailors who offend her and keeps rowing for Christ. This forgiving spirit shields her from the crags of bitterness and anger.

All Scripture is from the King James Bible.

Excerpt from Our Lifeship: Studies in Proverbs for Women by Lynn Wallace, © 2008.

Lynn Wallace
See my bio, info about my book, articles, and more at www.writingfrommyheart.com
See my bio, info about my book, articles, and more at www.writingfrommyheart.com

POO
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: lifeline

Postby POO » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks Lynn for that piece. I really like the devotional theme of the heart. It makes me bring to mind blessings we have in Christ. It reminds me of David's prophetic cry in Ps 51:10 below

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me ( Ps 51:10,KJV).

David knew where his problem was( i.e his heart as the real source of the unacceptable actions driving him into problems with God) indeed but did not know how to fix it and even more disturbing was that he died without receiving the answer to his prayer- a new heart, because the blessed One who is Annointed to wrought this gracious work in men was not yet on earth.

What gladness of heart to know today that what David asked but did not get not because he was not good enough but because the Father had planned it for us, is freely provided to us in Christ today.

Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you:Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow.Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into ( 1 Pet 1:10-12,KJV).

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God ( Rom 2:29, KJV)

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them (Eph 2:10, KJV).

AV 2C 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new ( 2 Co 5:17).

Remain the blessing Lynn. Give us more devotionals to bless our hearts with the spiritual food( the Word) so that we sow it into our hearts to reap the joy, prosperity and all the endless blessings in Christ availible to us.
Patrick Oben, MD

Hosting Gracious Words of Christ(GWC) conf. call
No: 916-233-2999( UK dial 0844 316 0103). Access code 687706#. Saturday: 6pm, Sunday 8pm, EST

Toni Star
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

So true...

Postby Toni Star » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:51 am

I enjoyed this piece on the heart. What you wrote is so true. I was especially impressed with your words, "She guides her heart in the right way. On the other hand, a bitter heart ends up steering into the crags and shoals. The wise woman forgives the sailors who offend her and keeps rowing for Christ. This forgiving spirit shields her from the crags of bitterness and anger. "

It is so true about bitterness taking us into the "craigs and shoals" but a forgiving spirit can "shield" us from the negative aspects of life.

Well written, with a great message!

Toni
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."

writeheart
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby writeheart » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:57 am

Dear Toni,

Thank you, Toni.

Lynn

Botim
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Botim » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:31 am

Thanks for this. "The heart" all we've got to get God commit his wonderful resources unto us. I live in a very busy city, and the noise here sometimes keep on in peoples' heart and i can see the reason for our temporal or permanent frustrations. for a busy heart, will be a noisy one and this will be far from "be careful for nothing". also a fearful heart do have the great tendency to fail. this can go on and on. The heart is linked to virtually all we do and God is not excluded from this forum of our heart to implement his wonderful promises, I pray that God may help us to Give proper control and nurishment for our heart. It is the platform of spiritual investment and a lot more....
thanks

Return to Encouragement from the Word