To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Noonday Devotion for older people

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

totallylovedbygod
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Noonday Devotion for older people

Postby totallylovedbygod » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:48 pm

Welcome to Noonday Devotion for Older People

Now here is a subject, I do feel able to speak on with clarity, although some of you reading this will regard me as a young pup.. having just turned 50. I hope everyone will read these articles, there are some great articles and indeed ones that will make u Laugh

God bless

Keith

Noonday Devotion for Mature People

Joshua 14

6 Then the children of Judah came unto Joshua in Gilgal: and Caleb the son of Jephunneh the Kenezite said unto him, Thou knowest the thing that the LORD said unto Moses the man of God concerning me and thee in Kadeshbarnea.

7 Forty years old was I when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me from Kadeshbarnea to espy out the land; and I brought him word again as it was in mine heart.

8 Nevertheless my brethren that went up with me made the heart of the people melt: but I wholly followed the LORD my God.

9 And Moses sware on that day, saying, Surely the land whereon thy feet have trodden shall be thine inheritance, and thy children's for ever, because thou hast wholly followed the LORD my God.

10 And now, behold, the LORD hath kept me alive, as he said, these forty and five years, even since the LORD spake this word unto Moses, while the children of Israel wandered in the wilderness: and now, lo, I am this day fourscore and five years old.

11 As yet I am as strong this day as I was in the day that Moses sent me: as my strength was then, even so is my strength now, for war, both to go out, and to come in.

12 Now therefore give me this mountain, whereof the LORD spake in that day; for thou heardest in that day how the Anakims were there, and that the cities were great and fenced: if so be the LORD will be with me, then I shall be able to drive them out, as the LORD said.

13 And Joshua blessed him, and gave unto Caleb the son of Jephunneh Hebron for an inheritance.

Ever since I became a christian at the age of 15, I have been fascinated by the life of Caleb. I first heard about Him, listening to my transistor radio under the covers of my bed, hearing Dr Stephen Olford preach.

I just want to share some thoughts about this great man of God. He was one of the original spies to enter the land of Canaan.. only Him and Joshua came back with a good report though and here he was.. well past retirement age, saying such amazing things.

They are lessons to be learnt here and the first one is that God does not have any retirement age. You remember Moses his natural strength was not abated at age 120..Abraham was blessed at an old age.. John saw his blessed vision at age 90.

When we get to a certain age, it seems that we should be winding down so to speak, but instead we should be doing like Caleb and asking God to wind us up.

Look at his wonderful words in verse 12, he still was up for the battle, he did not want to get his pipe and slippers, he was in battle mode.

Now I know some of you, are unable to do missionary work say, but you have a dynamic role to play. Moses was up on the mountain praying while Israel fought in Exodus 17. Just as Caleb said 'Give me this mountain', many of you can and do pray. This is mountain moving work and we who are fighting on the front line, couldn't do without it. Joshua couldn't win the battle without Moses praying on the mountain top.

My brothers and sisters, say unto the Lord 'give me a mountain', whether it is in prayer or in service. One of the things you could do is to mentor a young believer in his/her faith, to pass on the wisdom you have learned from many years of communion with God

Your best years with God can be the ones you have to come.. amen

God bless you

Keith (recently turned 50)

Spurgeons Devotion

"The people that do know their God shall be strong." – Daniel 11:32

Every believer understands that to know God is the highest and best form of knowledge; and this spiritual knowledge is a source of strength to the Christian. It strengthens his faith. Believers are constantly spoken of in the Scriptures as being persons who are enlightened and taught of the Lord; they are said to "have an unction from the Holy One," and it is the Spirit’s peculiar office to lead them into all truth, and all this for the increase and the fostering of their faith. Knowledge strengthens love, as well as faith. Knowledge opens the door, and then through that door we see our Saviour. Or, to use another similitude, knowledge paints the portrait of Jesus, and when we see that portrait then we love him, we cannot love a Christ whom we do not know, at least, in some degree. If we know but little of the excellences of Jesus, what he has done for us, and what he is doing now, we cannot love him much; but the more we know him, the more we shall love him. Knowledge also strengthens hope. How can we hope for a thing if we do not know of its existence? Hope may be the telescope, but till we receive instruction, our ignorance stands in the front of the glass, and we can see nothing whatever; knowledge removes the interposing object, and when we look through the bright optic glass we discern the glory to be revealed, and anticipate it with joyous confidence. Knowledge supplies us reasons for patience. How shall we have patience unless we know something of the sympathy of Christ, and understand the good which is to come out of the correction which our heavenly Father sends us? Nor is there one single grace of the Christian which, under God, will not be fostered and brought to perfection by holy knowledge. How important, then, is it that we should grow not only in grace, but in the "knowledge" of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Featured page

This is called Young at Heart. I hope everyone will enjoy it. Remember that the believer has no retirement age.. sure he is looking for the blessed Rest when He/she will be with His Saviour in heaven. But until then he/she has work to do for His Saviour down here on earth.. until Jesus comes or calls Him/Her home

Please click the link below

http://faithhopeandlovefellowship.piczo ... var=000044
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

Return to Encouragement from the Word