To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Marred

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

vesselofwordage1
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Marred

Postby vesselofwordage1 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 pm

On Wednesday the forecast reached a temperature of about 40 degrees outside. After chilling out last week at negative below it was a welcomed change. My kids have been wanting to build a snowman since we received our last snow. I patiently explained that the snow was too fluffy to build a snowman and we would have to wait for the snow to melt a bit before we would be able to actually mold it. The increasing temperatures provided us the perfect opportunity to do just that. We bundled up and headed outside. The first thing I did was start working on the base. I made my snowball and started to roll it across the yard and my kids watched in fascination as it grew in size. It quickly got big enough that it was taking quite a bit even for a Hercules mom such as myself to push it. I called Aleigh and asked her to assist me. I just wanted to get it a little farther into the front yard. Together we gave it a big push and it began to roll but as it fell forward it started to crack and when it landed spilt completely in two. Aleigh started to laugh and I wanted to cry. I had used a lot of energy and worked up quite a sweat getting that snowball as far as I had. After examining the two pieces I could easily see that the inside was marred with cracks. I had not taken enough time to mold and pack the center of the snowball before I rolled it each time, therefore it could not withstand the pressure when it hit the ground with our forceful push. After Aleigh stopped laughing she looked over at me and said “Jeez mom, you need to learn how to make better snowballs.”

The truth was I had rushed the entire process. I did not want to take the time to form the perfectly round, solidly packed center that I needed for a solid structure. I was much to eager to throw together the base and move on to the middle & head. It just needed more time then I was willing to give it and the results showed. How many times do we approach our days just like I approached building the snowman? We have our list of things to do and our errands to run so we wake up and hastily throw together a misshaped snowball. We may do a quick devotion and utter a quick prayer but the clock is ticking and the list is long. We think we are doing well as the day progresses. Our snowball grows bigger and bigger as we check items off our list. We may look at it with pride for it represents all we have accomplished in our day. It looks pretty good from the outside. But then something happens that is not on our list. A test of our patience, a test of our priorities, a test of our time. The pressure starts to mount and the next thing we know we crack. Suddenly we are aware of the shoddy structure within.

That is the reality I have been living in. I have been so focused on my day to day happenings that I have been rushing through my quiet time with God. I simply have not allowed the time that was needed for the potter to form this pot. I have been way to caught up in just simply getting through my list thinking little about the shoddy structure I have been building my days on. Sure I’ll let God take me for a few spins on the potters wheel but then I jump off before He is finished. Without really realizing it I have been leaving God tucked between the pages of my devotional book as I check him off my list.

“But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.” Jeremiah 18:4

As moms, dads, wives, husbands, employees....etc. we have many demands for our time and attention. We try our best to balance and organize and fit all that we have to do into a single day and usually end up weary and worn by the end of it. I do not believe this is how God intends for us to live. I believe this is the marred pot we have created and grown accustom to. But do not be fooled this pot is marred. Eventually it will break under the pressure just as the snowball did. The good news is the Potter is waiting to form a new pot with our lives. Notice the scripture reads “another pot”. He is not going to repair the old, but so many times that is what we pray for. He wants to make us into another completely different pot in a shape that seems best to Him. The question is are we willing to take the time necessary for him to do so? Or maybe a better question how willing are we to actually allow him to mold us as He sees best? Change is not always easy you know. We become so comfortable in the shaped pot that we know.

I pray that you will search your heart today. Is your to do list leaving you weary and worn? Is your time with God allowing the “shaping” process He needs as your Potter? Is God wanting you to quit trying to repair your old pot and mold you into something new? How comfortable are you in the shape that you know?

Dynamic Devo by Tessy Fuller

Ms. Barbie
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Ms. Barbie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:39 pm

I love it Tess! Being from California, I had no idea you had to make a solid ball foundation for a snowman! I thot snow was heaped up in a pile then shaped, much like sandcastles!
Love the analogy and soooo true! Thanks for sharing!
Barb Culler

totallylovedbygod

thanks

Postby totallylovedbygod » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

this is excellent
Keith Hobkirk

Jesus is Lord

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I love the connection. Very well-put analogy!

Return to Encouragement from the Word