To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Don't Bite off More Than You CanChew

If debating Theology isn't quite your style, but you love God's Word, please use this forum to encourage and be encouraged by sharing scripture, your own devotions and short questions to ponder. This is not a place for debate or argument.

Moderator: beaedwards

aussiegal
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Don't Bite off More Than You CanChew

Postby aussiegal » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:23 pm

In my classroom we have five tiny frogs and some tadploes in an aquarium. Today I watched one small frog eat another frog. I did not know they even did that in Frogland. But there sat the eater, bloated and unmoving, he couldn't even close his mouth completely, with a tiny piece of his lunch sticking out.
A while later, the captured frog had wriggled around and managed to get both his hind legs out.
I had to leave then, so I can't tell you what happened to that poor frog.

But I thought about it and wondered if I am a bit like that cannibal frog.

I think that I overfeed.
I hear too many sermons, read too many books. Absorb too many other people's ideas.
And all I get is stuffed. Do I digest it all? No. It just sits there in my mind, of little use to me.
Great sermon. Wonderful book. Excellent article.
All good.
But I don't need to eat another frog.
I need my own food.
One bite at a time.

I have forgotten most of the sermons I ever heard.
But I can last for weeks on one little Word the Holy Spirit drops into my heart. I think about it. Roll it around in my thoughts.
Act upon it. I live by these chunks of tru th Holy Spirit feeds me.

Daily bread. Sufficient.

writeheart
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Don't Bite off More than You Can Chew

Postby writeheart » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:52 pm

What you say has a lot of truth in it. Once when I counseled with my pastor, he had me list all my burdens and then find Scripture to go with each one. I bit off more than I can chew, as is my habit. I went through the long list at one time with appropriate Scriptures. I took it back to the pastor. He intended me to take one or two at a time, not the whole bunch. Thank you for that good advice. I'll try to apply it, but it is not easy.
See my bio, info about my book, articles, and more at www.writingfrommyheart.com

Botim
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Botim » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:10 pm

Beloved, This is like revelation of many sides! one the sides is the tendency to believe we know so much. this mentality bring offences from us, to others. just like that frog did, inflecting pains on another by overpowering aibility it had. Much knowledge withput mercies is wickedness and this what religion had made out many of us claiming rendering a wonderful service to God.

"My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body." James 3"1-2.

I thought off the situation when cattle swallow another or children eaten by their mother. these both indicate famining. In midst of our plenty knowledge there may be famine of the truth at such moment, we are a spiritual cannibal rather edifying souls. We can carry wonderful doctrine, and we kick every where to give our truth attention, I found out that truth spoken in the absence of God's love make look to those intending to receive it, as a poison and if they reject the truth we cannot conveyed through an unhypocritical Love of God, we are also a spiritual cannibal.

learning to apply the word of God to my personal life first and allow this living word make God's intended impact first in me will help me less i become a spiritual poison to men and women that may have passive and active contact with my life and actions.

t.wright
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

I am guilty

Postby t.wright » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:17 pm

I am totally guilty of seeking everywhere for a word from God except God himself in prayer and meditation. The truth the Holy Spirit speaks to me is penetrating. Like it was already said. His truth sticks, humanistic insight slips away over time. The affect that is.
Trecia is a freelance writer for Christian and recovery related magazines. Her journey from the darkness into the light is a testimony of God’s mercy and grace.

Return to Encouragement from the Word