Thoughts and Stressing a point

Back to the basics with regular Challenge winner, Ann Grover. Weekly lessons to help you hone your basic writing skills.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Thoughts and Stressing a point

Post by jo555 »

I really like the suggestion that Glorybee gave me about using italics for thought, although I generally use italics when someone is stressing something in conversation without necessarily shouting it (exclamation marks I use for shouting).

So, considering most of my characters like to talk alot (I don't know where they get that from), and there can be a bit of stressing with some thoughts thrown in there, anyone have any suggestions on how to best work out a thought, then an articulated point (or thought) that is stressed?
Last edited by jo555 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Thoughts and Stressing a point

Post by jo555 »

Maybe instead of using terminology like, "She thought to herself" which is redundant, in those instances where a thought and stress point are combined I can say...

She said to herself, "I cannot believe this."

What say ye?
People may be right in their own eyes, but the Lord looks upon the heart - Proverbs
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

Is that the same thing because at first I thought I was being clever?

Now I don't know, may be the same thing with the redundant thingy.

I don't know. I just don't know...
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

Starting to feel like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz, "If I only had a brain."

Just having some fun. I have this thing that I think I am funny...don't think the verdict is totally in yet on that one...but I'm serious about the questions posed for help.

SOS
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

Now I've totally confused myself. Think it's time to check out of this thread for now because I feel like I am going in circles, like my hampster on that wheel that goes round and round and round without going anywhere and making a lot of noise. Eesh.

Hope to be back when I got some more wonderful input from others. :idea:

I need a nap. :mrgreen: :wink:

zzzzzzzzzzz
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Jo, you can use italics both for thoughts and for emphasis. There's no problem with that.

Jan couldn't stand it when Ben left his underwear on the bedroom floor. "Honestly, Ben," she said, "the hamper is only two feet away! How hard can it be to just toss 'em in there?" She sighed and picked up two boxers. Do it again, buddy, and it's the couch for you.

I've used italics there in the narrative, for emphasis (stand), in Jan's dialogue, also for emphasis (two), and to indicate Jan's thoughts.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

I like it and will do that.

Thanks again! You've been a great help!

:typing2
helen1975
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by helen1975 »

I'm glad I saw this thread!

I've been having the same debate in my head, trying to get off my own hamster wheel without much success :)

Thanks for the example; it seems I have been mostly on track, which is great reassurance!

Now, if only I could curb my love affair with !!!!!!s

Blessings,

Helen
jo555
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by jo555 »

helen1975 wrote:I'm glad I saw this thread!

I've been having the same debate in my head, trying to get off my own hamster wheel without much success :)

Thanks for the example; it seems I have been mostly on track, which is great reassurance!

Now, if only I could curb my love affair with !!!!!!s

Blessings,

Helen
Glad it helped you too. I'm a comma girl myself. ,,,,,

Return to “Ann's Grammar Basics”