Be a Better Writer--Description (Kind Of)

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

swfdoc1
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Re: Be a Better Writer--Description (Kind Of)

Post by swfdoc1 »

Anja wrote: Three adjectives. No adverbs.
But if you count adjectives, adjective phrases, adjective clauses (the latter 2 of which serve as adjectives), adverbs, adverb phrases, and adverb clauses (the latter 2 of which serve as adverbs); you get a very different picture. Especially if you count some that are embedded within others.

Then this is virtually nothing but adjectives and adverbs.

Adjectives, adjective clause, adjective phrases:

that opened onto the street
onto the street
of Paris
of hooves
of wheels
on uneven stones
uneven
of peddlers
of a donkey
of a bucket
being winched up
strong
great
[dumping]—probably best seen as a part of a compound noun, not an adjective
of garbage and human waste
outside the city
When the wind blew . . .

Adverbs, adverb phrases, adverb clauses:

from her room that opened onto the street
from her room
that opened onto the street
from the great dumping ground
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien
everlearning
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by everlearning »

Hi Jan,

It was a good learning curve for me as I read your “two excerpts from classic literature” and comments about them being “written by two of America’s finest writers (Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Mark Twain, Two Ways of Seeing a River” It confirmed to me that each writer has a very unique way with pen and ink in hand, just as each writer of the Bible.

What a wonderful inspiration you are in showing us the rules on how to express ourselves and the need to read more literature by different authors.

The more I read this forum on each new article you write, the more I want to enter another challenge and receive critiques to improve my writings.

Thank you for this lesson and for your effort to help us to “Be a Better Writer.”

Sincerely,

Cathrine Huff
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

Eek, I get so confused with all the different terminologies - eg adjective clauses and those many others described. I'm constantly perusing my many resources to make sense of them. If I understand correctly, I'm going to have to put myself through an intense study to know these things - otherwise my writing will be continually hindered in its editing capacity. Would this be a correct assumption. How much do we need to know?
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Trace, I bet you could ask several good writers that same question, and get several different answers. I know very little fancy grammar, and when I started to write I knew even less. But I'm sort of an instinctual grammarian, and a voracious reader, and I could feel when something was good--regardless of whether it was right. Others know all of the correct grammar rules and terms, and can put together a grammatically correct piece of writing-- but it's not GOOD writing. And there's every possible combination of the art and the science of writing producing writers who are good and great and not so good. It has helped my writing to learn more about grammar over the years--but I wouldn't let knowledge (or not) of adverbial clauses define you as a writer. Just write. (And thus was written on my cell phone, on a retreat in a cabin without wifi, for which I blame any mistakes.)
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
TracePezzali
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by TracePezzali »

Teehee :lol: Thanks Jan, I feel better already!
Trace Pezzali

"It is written: 'I believed; therefore I have spoken.' With that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak... so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God." 2 Cor 4:13-15
JudySauer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by JudySauer »

Jan, is this lesson for informational purposes only, or did I miss the homework?

Judy
Mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance. -Jude 2 NIV

Judy Sauer
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=23323
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

No homework on this one, Judy. :D
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”