To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Taking a break

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Taking a break

Postby glorybee » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:02 pm

It's too difficult to stay on top of things while I'm on vacation. I'm getting things wrong, and frankly starting to feel slightly under attack.

I've stated several times that I've never studied grammar--that everything I've learned about writing is intuitive and by self-study. My idea has always been to help FaithWriters--particularly those entering the Writing Challenge--to do better.

But whenever I venture into grammar, it begins to feel like "let's catch Jan being wrong." This is not fun for me, and certainly not in the spirit in which I'd hoped for these lessons. I had hoped that my experience as a frequent EC winner and then a frequent judge would be helpful. Instead, I seem to be stepping on toes.

So for a few weeks at least, I'm going to make myself scarce. While I'm at camp, I'll concentrate on writing. I may have given all the lessons on the Writing Challenge that there are to give, and I can see that attempting grammar lessons was quite unwise.

Catch you all later.
Jan Ackerson

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Taking a break

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Jan, good idea to take a break when you start to feel that way. (((HUGS))) You are one of the very best writers to ever cross our paths here at FaithWriters, and I trust your skill with grammar completely. So enjoy your break. You deserve it.

Everyone who has had the opportunity to participate in your classes should consider themselves incredibly blessed.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

itsjoanne

Postby itsjoanne » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Deb Porter wrote:Jan, good idea to take a break when you start to feel that way. (((HUGS))) You are one of the very best writers to ever cross our paths here at FaithWriters, and I trust your skill with grammar completely. So enjoy your break. You deserve it.

Everyone who has had the opportunity to participate in your classes should consider themselves incredibly blessed.

Love, Deb

I second that. Amen

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:36 pm

Deb Porter wrote:Jan, good idea to take a break when you start to feel that way. (((HUGS))) You are one of the very best writers to ever cross our paths here at FaithWriters, and I trust your skill with grammar completely. So enjoy your break. You deserve it.

Love, Deb

Agreed, also. Rest and relax.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

Come forth
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:29 pm

I agree with the above too.

I'm one of those who consider myself 'incredibly blessed' by learning from your extensive skill set and experience. I would consider myself one who has grown largely because of your input and would trust your grammar skills without hesitation.

Sadly I have been unable to join in much of late due to health issues, (comma) but that does not mean I haven't read and learnt from what you've posted.

Rest and enjoy the rest. Blessings, Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:50 pm

Come forth wrote:Sadly I have been unable to join in much of late due to health issues, (comma) but that does not mean I haven't read and learnt from what you've posted.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, Graham. Get well soon! Challenge starts back on Thursday, and we want you fit and raring to go for that. :D

Love, Deb

Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Cinnamon Bear » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Jan, I'm so sorry that you feel badly. :( I looked back over the comma thread. I think it's just that myself and the other people that posted are very anxious to understand comma placement, so we keep asking questions.

I second what Deb and the others posted on this thread, and I hope that will enjoy your vacation.

Cinnamon Bear

Come forth

Postby Come forth » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks for the well wishes Deb. But actually the issues haven't been all about my health.

My wife has had long standing spine problems, carpel tunnel issues and balance, stamina problems. Operated on a few weeks ago.

Then my grandkids all got sick for a spell and yes, I got sick too.

But all on the mend now, thank You Father.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:51 am

So glad to hear everyone is on the mend,Graham.

Shann

Postby Shann » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:46 am

Big Hugs Jan. Everyone deserves a break.

You have taught me so much and even helped me understand better why certain things are certain ways. I can't thank you enough for that. When people ask me anything about the challenge I always tell them that first lesson I learned from you (which is still sheer brilliance) Write down the first 5 things you think of and then wad them up and throw them away because it's likely that everyone else is thinking of those things too.

You also helped me so much with the that vs who question. I was sure I was doing it right, but I couldn't find a resource to back me up and it was something that kept occurring every time I edited a piece so I felt relieved when you agreed with me. You enjoy those grandchildren and don't worry about anything but them for a while. Hugs
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:34 pm

I'm sorry that I and/or others made you feel that way.

One thing I admire is that, although you've mentioned before that all your knowledge is self-taught and that you sometimes feel like you are in over your head with grammar and will have to say you don't know the answer, you keep doing lessons in areas like these because you believe they will be helpful to us.

In reality, of course, you rarely get anything wrong, as far as I can tell. But on those rare occasions when someone says, "Well I think this," or "this website says such-and-such" and you become convinced that you were wrong, you very graciously admit it. (I think I told you once that when I was teaching, one of the categories on our student evaluations of us was "Admits lack of knowledge," meaning we were expected to tell our students when we didn't know something.)

And you were certainly right that people need help with commas.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your break.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Jan wrote:But whenever I venture into grammar, it begins to feel like "let's catch Jan being wrong." This is not fun for me, and certainly not in the spirit in which I'd hoped for these lessons. I had hoped that my experience as a frequent EC winner and then a frequent judge would be helpful. Instead, I seem to be stepping on toes.

Within my spirit, I could see this coming. Jan, your "no charge" input into improving my writing skills are invaluable and will never be forgotten. Will you still be available through private messages for questions, after you've taken a much deserved break?

Lillian.
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

trudynewell
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby trudynewell » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi Jan -

Hope you enjoy your break. We all get stressed out at times. Jan, I know I've not really been a part of your lessons as such - just find it hard timewise. But, I have found your lessons invaluable, and also learn from the other responses. Your last lesson on commas was especially helpful.

So know that you are greatly appreciated, and we need you to be our cheerleader and encourager to become the writers God wants us to be.

Remember - when you are doing what God wants you to do there will be challenges. Sorry this is rather late.

We all love and appreciate you!!! Trudy

Return to Jan's Writing Basics