To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Be a Better Writer--ASK ME ANYTHING

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Re: Be a Better Writer--ASK ME ANYTHING

Postby glorybee » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm

The reason "attorneys" doesn't have an "ies" ending is that there is a vowel before the 'y'--that would be the case for most similar words:

day -- days

trey -- treys (like the playing card)

cowboy -- cowboys

buy -- buys

(Can't think of a word that ends in "iy" off the top of my head.)

Changing the "y" to and "i" and adding "es" for those words would put three vowels in a row--just not something that's common in English.

There are exceptions, of course, because that's the way we like our language: incomprehensible.

Your sentence is in the gray area of comma-dom. I would have put one there, but it's okay without it. But commas just about sucked the life out of me last time around on these boards, so you might want to get a more qualified opinion on that one.
Jan Ackerson

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby lish1936 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 pm

Thanks. As per comma, I am content with your answer. Discussion closed. :D

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:34 am

Jan, is there a solid rule about the capitalization, or non-capitalization, of the word "its" in the middle of a title? I would lean towards capitalizing it.

A Family Seeks its History

A Family Seeks Its History

Thanks,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Leave in lower case any words that are not significant--generally, those are only words like a, the, and an. 'Its' is significant in this case--capitalization is appropriate.
Jan Ackerson

Previous

Return to Jan's Writing Basics