To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

A Few Announcements/Questions

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

A Few Announcements/Questions

Postby glorybee » Thu May 29, 2014 12:11 am

1. The next lesson will be a day or so late. I usually post on Saturdays, but this weekend we'll be having fun in Indianapolis with our 4-year-old granddaughter. I'm not planning to take my computer, and these forums don't have a way to pre-post for a future date. So I'll post it when we get back--late Saturday or some time on Sunday.

2. I'm interested in knowing why there are still very few posts to the Critique Circle. Those of you who have received a critique there--was it helpful, or not? What would make it more helpful for you?

3. My list of possible topics for this forum is getting shortish again. What would you like to learn about?
Jan Ackerson

RachelM
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: A Few Announcements/Questions

Postby RachelM » Thu May 29, 2014 1:29 am

I found the critiques incredibly helpful and I do intend to submit some articles over the coming weeks. I'm distracted right now with a vacation that is quickly approaching and trying to finish up the school year (homeschooling.)

I think that people aren't using it much because many aren't comfortable with giving critiques. Also, I suspect that many FW members are mainly writing for the challenge and the rules don't allow people to submit challenge entries for critique before the weekly challenge deadline.

The Critique Circle is an amazing benefit of membership, and I should be using it weekly.

Maybe you could do a lesson on sentence lengths, or have you already done that? I think that my writing could use more longer sentences so there's more variation. But I think there's an art to that that I haven't acquired yet.

Have a great time in Indianapolis!
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Cinnamon Bear
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Cinnamon Bear » Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 am

I posted two articles in the Challenge section of the Critique Circle, and I received very beneficial critiques for each of them. Thanks again, Jan, for your critique.

I would like to post more, but to date there are only eight articles posted and two are mine. I don't want to monopolize the entire section. :)

For what it's worth, I am also interested in providing in-depth critiques for Challenge articles in the Critique Circle. Since the critiques are private, I feel comfortable doing this.

For future lessons: I would benefit from a lesson about sentence length because my sentences tend to be too short.

I am also interested in a lesson/discussion on the content of Challenge entries. It may be that this will be covered under rating category #8 "How publishable is this entry for its target audience?" I sometimes feel as if my target audience is---or should be---everyone in Faithwriters. Maybe I'm mistaken in feeling that way. :?

The Bear

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu May 29, 2014 9:56 am

RachelM wrote:
Maybe you could do a lesson on sentence lengths, or have you already done that? I think that my writing could use more longer sentences so there's more variation. But I think there's an art to that that I haven't acquired yet.

Cinnamon Bear wrote:
For future lessons: I would benefit from a lesson about sentence length because my sentences tend to be too short.

I am also interested in a lesson/discussion on the content of Challenge entries. It may be that this will be covered under rating category #8 "How publishable is this entry for its target audience?" I sometimes feel as if my target audience is---or should be---everyone in Faithwriters.

I'll cover long sentences briefly in the upcoming lesson. In the meantime, you might want to check out the previous lessons on sentence structure. There are three or four of them; scroll through the "Jan's Writing Lessons" forums and you'll find them there.

The "how publishable is it" criterion would make a great lesson. I'll put it on my list.
Jan Ackerson

swfdoc1

Postby swfdoc1 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:32 pm

A long time ago you did a series on writing different types of poetry. Those lessons rival or exceed any lessons you’ve ever done in terms of both views and posts. They were both fun and challenging. I don’t know whether you’re up for more of these, but if so there are many, many more you could cover, as per here, or you could re-post some of the old ones for your new readers, or some of each.
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu May 29, 2014 5:53 pm

swfdoc1 wrote:A long time ago you did a series on writing different types of poetry. Those lessons rival or exceed any lessons you’ve ever done in terms of both views and posts. They were both fun and challenging. I don’t know whether you’re up for more of these, but if so there are many, many more you could cover, as per here, or you could re-post some of the old ones for your new readers, or some of each.

Thanks for this idea.
Jan Ackerson

Return to Jan's Writing Basics