To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Two Announcements

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Two Announcements

Postby glorybee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:29 pm

1. Next week's lesson on CHARACTERIZATION will be a little bit late--I'll probably post it late Monday evening. I'll be visiting my daughter's family in Florida, without my computer, and I won't be back home until late-ish on Monday.

2. I'm currently running a contest on the most recent lesson--if 15 different people leave significant comments or questions, I'll give one of them (drawn at random) a nice prize. Only 9 people have contributed so far--I'll keep that contest open until I post the next lesson on Monday evening. Stop by here for the lesson and the contest:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=37870
Jan Ackerson

lish1936
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Two Announcements

Postby lish1936 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Jan, I didn't know where to post this, so I'm posting it here. I did a quick check of the topics covered by you and Ann, but I didn't see anything about sentence fragments. It may be tucked away somewhere in another topic.

During a friendly interchange between another Faithwriter and myself about my Challenge comment, she directed me to a site that painted a different picture about sentence fragments than what I'd been taught.

Is the topic available somewhere and I've either forgotten or never came across it? If not, would you consider it as an idea for a future lesson? Here's the link in question:

http://grammar.about.com/od/rhetoricsty ... efrag.html

Thanks,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:32 pm

Lillian--I'm not sure that I could add anything to that very excellent article. I agree completely; there are times when an intentional sentence fragment can be very effective. I'll consider a lesson on that at some future date. In the meantime, here's something for you to ponder: almost all of the rules that we learned in school can be disregarded at times. Good writers know how and when and why to do this, and to what effect. Learning the how and when and why is the important part, and it's the hardest to teach. I'm still away from home, but I'll work on a "breaking the rules" lesson. Meanwhile, I've typed this on my phone, and I'll blame it for any errors.
Jan Ackerson

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:26 am

Jan,
A "breaking the rules lesson" sounds great. I read a Weekly Challenge entry that had a one word sentence, if you can call it a sentence. The word was "Waits."

The Hand presses forward. Waits. I wasn't sure if this was written for effect and therefore correct, or should have been written as, "and then waits." By the way, Hand was correct in context. :D

There are so many rules, and I don't know how you would cover them all (that might not be necessary), but the idea sounds good.

:thankssign ,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Return to Jan's Writing Basics