To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Taking a bit of a break

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

violin4jesus
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Taking a bit of a break

Postby violin4jesus » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:18 am

Jan, I think it's a good idea for you to take a break, but know that you are loved and missed whenever you're gone. Maybe posting only once a month would be good, and then people who are lurking may pop in more often. I know that the forums in general have been less active over the past few years, and many who used to post regularly have disappeared. Sometimes I'm gone for months at a time due to crazy busy life. Deb has been begging people on FB to enter the Challenge, since the numbers are so low. Believe me, your free lessons have been incredibly valuable to everyone who views them and participates. I know you have the heart of a teacher, and you want to see the fruits of your labor. It's there, every time one of your "students" earns an EC, or writes an encouraging article, or shares what they've learned to another. (((hugs)))

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:19 pm

I may be the lone dissenter here, but I'm trying to figure out what does FB have that competes with a writing forum? Do they have free writing lessons?

I have nothing against FB, but it should not be used as an excuse to pull one away from what is important or of higher priority. There is a reason why FB is dubbed "Social Media." It's a place where one goes to socialize, which is fine. But one could hardly consider it a substitute hang out for those who are interested in improving their writing skills.

Jan, I think you know how much I appreciate the effort and time you put in to make better writers of us all. Perhaps an earlier suggestion to limit the lessons to monthly might be the answer.

I'm not sure how this other suggestion would work, if at all. Perhaps for the new year, you might want to have an open enrollment week ( like other learning institutions) where those who are really committed to "attending" each month would sign up. You might want to include available courses you plan to offer.

This way you would have an idea of interested participants, and those who have signed up might feel more committed to tuning in.

If this sounds too complicated, I'll understand. But it's a thought. :D

Be encouraged. The results of your effort is like the iceberg. You see only the tip of all you've done to keep many a writer afloat.

Blessings,

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Lillian, back in FaithWriters' heyday (which may have been before you found us), when the forums were very active and the Writing Challenge drew close to 200 entries each week, the forums were a community for connecting to writers around the world. There was lively discussion on these boards, in just about every forum, and not just about writing.

It's no coincidence that the participation here died down as Facebook usage increased. FB communication is more timely (often happening in "real time") and more wide-reaching.

I'm just not convinced that there are many people here who are interested in improving their writing skills. There are a few dozen of you; the rest either feel that their writing is already fine, or they feel too shy about "writing classes" to participate. Or there are other issues; perhaps they don't know about this forum, or feel uncomfortable with the format of message boards.

At any rate, that doesn't change the reality for me: it's a lot of work for very little obvious return. It's fine for you and several other lovely people to say "If you just improve the writing of ONE person (or a few people), it's worth it. But from my end, I'm not so sure. Imagine that you spend a whole day preparing a delicious feast, enough to feed thirty people. Would you be satisfied if one person showed up and had a plateful, then told you how delicious it was? It's nice to be appreciated, but a lot of food and time has gone to waste.

You'll have to pardon the "downer" attitude of this post. I'm going through a hard time right now.
Jan Ackerson

Come forth
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby Come forth » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Jan, just wanted to say thank you for helping me get 1st place in last weeks challenge.

When I wrote the article it was very jumbled and had no structure; something you gave me personal help with some months ago. You did the lesson on 'transitions' recently so I very consciously applied that lesson to this article.

You deserve the 1st place ribbon as much as I do; you and Dave Walker, my writing buddy.

Thanks to both of you. Graham.
May we all get eyes to see and ears to hear,
A Revelation of His Word, crystal clear.
Admitting our need to be drawn in,
Less of self, more of Him.

My prayer for us all.
God bless us with the Revelation of His Word, Graham
http://www.shekinahcloud.com/page/page/8464330.htm

RachelM
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Postby RachelM » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:59 am

Congratulations on winning first place, Graham! I need to check out that lesson on transitions. :)
My FaithWriters profile: RachelM FW member profile

Previous

Return to Jan's Writing Basics