Be a Better Writer--ALLEGORY

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Shann

Re: Be a Better Writer--ALLEGORY

Post by Shann »

glorybee wrote:Shann, I don't think the "twist" ending really works for an allegory. It seems to me that one of the things that makes an allegory effective is the connection that the reader makes between the characters or events and what they represent. And that should occur throughout the story, not just at the end. And I think I also stated that the main audience for an allegory should be adults.

So while your stories are charming, they don't really work as allegories.

I'll bet that you could come up with a fine allegory, and I look forward to reading it!
Thanks for the advice. I think my twists are what messes me up, though each of my stories were supposed to be for adults, with the possible exception of the wave one. I thought about taking that and identifying they were waves in the beginning and make it for kids, but originally, though the MC was a child, it wasn't geared for kids per se. It was more to explain that God doesn't allow bad things to happen, they just do and he makes us each who we are so that we can all work together in ways we never understand.

As for the others, they definitely weren't meant for kids especially the Three Questions and a Mother's Son. Plus the question one didn't have a twist. Guess I really missed the mark, but that won't stop me from trying.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
choosingjoy
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by choosingjoy »

Jan, I am a week behind, but wanted to say I read all three of your allegories. Marvelous! I don't feel I could ever write anything like this, but it is a high goal which I will consider. I have always loved Pilgrim' Progress, and I certainly agree that when you "get it," deep truths like this tend to stay with you forever. Thanks for your lovely stories that made me see myself, the church as a whole, and reality of the impact, or lack thereof, on the world around us. :oops: May we be inspired to a higher level of seeing and reaching people. :!:
A child of the King!
Genia
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Thank you, Genia.
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
Shann

Post by Shann »

I know this doesn't exactly fit this topic, but I remember a wonderful lesson you had before the great crash. It was about writing on topic in general and specifically for the challenge.

I just finished reading all the stories in levels one to three. People don't seem to understand they aren't to take the topic quite so literally. I would guess that about 80% of the stories in those levels were actually about a barking dog. The topic this week was his bark is worse than his bite. Another 10% or so were about a mean, grumpy neighbor who happened to be lonely. Many of these stories were well written, but need help stepping out of the box.

This quarter seems to be focused on adage. Last week's, curiosity killed the cat topic led to many cat stories;as well in the black sheep week the stories were full of sheep and Shepherds.

I know you did an excellent lesson before about writing on topic. It was the first one I had ever participated in. I remember and still use your advice: when you hear the topic, write down the first five ideas that pop in your head, then wad up the paper and throw it away. It's quite likely many others had those same ideas.
I know you probably already have the next few lessons planned, but if there is any way you can do a quick review of that old topic lesson it would benefit so many.

If you can't fit it in, I understand. I know how hard you work on your lessons and I appreciate your hard work more than you can ever know. :thankssign
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Shann, I share your frustration. After the first week or so of this quarter, I started putting a weekly post on the Writing Challenge forum, encouraging people not to write too literally about these critter idioms. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the writers who are doing that (the Level 1 and 2 folk) don't come over to the forums. So having another lesson on writing out of the box probably wouldn't reach them, either.

I wish we could get them over to the forums, to learn about effective ways of writing for the challenge, and maybe even to read these lessons. I'm just not sure how to drive them here.
Shann

Post by Shann »

I am leaving some invites. I remember when I started, you would do a sandwich critique then invite people over to the thread. Your compliments and gentle suggestions hooked me. I know it takes a lot of effort, energy and time to do that.

I also welcome every newbie personally. I try to make it a personal welcome. Then I give some suggestions and links including yours.

I wonder if a survey would help. Would you mind if I started one in the open forum? I could ask if they have heard of thread, if yes how and have they participated and what would encourage people to try it out.

If you don't mind, I'd love to help.
Shann

Shann's Profile

glorybee

Post by glorybee »

That would be fine--thanks.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”