To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Hire
Writers
Editors
Home Read What's New Join
Faith
Writers
Forum
My Account Login
Shop
Save
Support
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Having a point or message #2--6th judging criterion

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Well said!

lookinup
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Re: Having a point or message #2--6th judging criterion

Postby lookinup » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Making a point or having a theme is probably the single most difficult "point" I struggle with. I also like the way ( in either #1 or #2) that you earmark that those trying to write emotionally laden content - especially when adapting personal experience into a piece - often miss this aspect of writing, including enough background for inclusion to get the point across in the first place.

What is your experience with theme gradually forming itself first while writing the draft and solidifying during editing vs. trying to begin with a theme that I would like to convey from the gitgo? Is there a technique or secret to craft something so that it doesn't come off stilted and artificial, simply a skeleton to hang my ideas from?

Thanks much,
Catherine
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:09 pm

lookinup wrote:What is your experience with theme gradually forming itself first while writing the draft and solidifying during editing vs. trying to begin with a theme that I would like to convey from the gitgo? Is there a technique or secret to craft something so that it doesn't come off stilted and artificial, simply a skeleton to hang my ideas from?

Thanks much,
Catherine

I suppose it differs for each writer. When I write, I start out with only a vague idea (ooh, a story about a hoarder might be interesting...), and the theme develops along with the plot. Others may start with the point they hope to make (oooh, relationships with hoarders are difficult, and the disease may be stronger than the relationship...) and build a story around that point.

As to your final question--yes, there's a secret to crafting your writing well with that purpose in mind. In fact, there are several:

1. Write
2. Write some more
3. Listen to criticism from excellent writers
4. READ excellent writers
5. Repeat # 1-4

That probably seems a bit facetious on my part, but truly, there's no better way.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:25 pm

glorybee wrote:As to your final question--yes, there's a secret to crafting your writing well with that purpose in mind. In fact, there are several:

1. Write
2. Write some more
3. Listen to criticism from excellent writers
4. READ excellent writers
5. Repeat # 1-4

That probably seems a bit facetious on my part, but truly, there's no better way.

Could not agree more.
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

lookinup
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby lookinup » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Good food for thought...thank you.
Catherine - Keep Lookin' Up! :thumbs

SirBill
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby SirBill » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:53 pm

What if my point is my message at first and then my message morphs back into my point? Is there any hope for me?

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:14 am

SirBill wrote:What if my point is my message at first and then my message morphs back into my point? Is there any hope for me?

Hmmmm. I can't tell if this is a real question or not. If so, can you clarify a bit?

If not, then the answer is no. There is no hope for you. :D

Previous

Return to Jan's Writing Basics