Jan's New "Class"--Writing Basics

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

Cajunluvie
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Cajunluvie »

glorybee wrote:Cajunluvie, welcome!

What a great selection! You've picked out a wonderful list of words, too.

What's your usual genre, and why did you pick this book?

Hope to see your contributions in future classes.
Actually, the genre I seem to be wanting to write within is inspirational Christian fiction. My ideas seem to be varied.

As for reading books, I tend to read mysteries of different kind, Christian fiction, historical fiction, and whatever catches my eye and I skim the book to see if it is "clean" and I can read them in good conscience. lol. I just love to read.

After I took a 4 months concentrated course at CWG, I was told to read more and try different genres that I would not normally read just to observe the writing styles.

I picked this book at the library on the "New Books" section. I liked the cover and the title grabbed my eye. I read the summary inset on the inside cover and thought this sounds interesting.

So, there ya have it. LOL.
honeyrock
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

homework

Post by honeyrock »

Thanks so much for doing this class! Am I too late for homework for the first class? Do you have a time limit?

My choice is from Tracie Peterson's A Fragile Design:

"William Thurston hunkered down in a rickety chair near the rear of Neil's Pub. His gaze remained fixed on the door as he hoisted a tankard aloft."

Before I "took" this first session of the class, I was doing as you say - Tracie Peterson is a master at "salsa" words. I've been reading her voraciously for years trying to get a handle on what you explained in this class! Thanks

hunkered - rickety - fixed - hoisted - tankard - aloft

Instead of for example : :William Thurston sat in a chair in the back of Neil's pub. He watched the doorway as he drank a beer."

I love her ability to do this...
Be strong and very courageous Joshua 1:7
DanielK
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by DanielK »

J.R.R Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Another harsh horn-call and shrill cries rang out. Feet were coming down the corridor. There was a ring and clatter as the Company drew their swords. Glamdring shone with a pale light, and Sting glinted at the edges.

This whole passage is rather salsa, but I particularly like the words harsh, shrill, ring, clatter, and glinted. These words sound almost sharp and violent, in anticipation of the battle to come.
glorybee

Re: homework

Post by glorybee »

honeyrock wrote:Thanks so much for doing this class! Am I too late for homework for the first class? Do you have a time limit?

My choice is from Tracie Peterson's A Fragile Design:

"William Thurston hunkered down in a rickety chair near the rear of Neil's Pub. His gaze remained fixed on the door as he hoisted a tankard aloft."

Before I "took" this first session of the class, I was doing as you say - Tracie Peterson is a master at "salsa" words. I've been reading her voraciously for years trying to get a handle on what you explained in this class! Thanks

hunkered - rickety - fixed - hoisted - tankard - aloft

Instead of for example : :William Thurston sat in a chair in the back of Neil's pub. He watched the doorway as he drank a beer."

I love her ability to do this...
Honeyrock, it's never too late, and you picked a woncerful passage for this assignment. Well done!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

DanielK wrote:J.R.R Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Another harsh horn-call and shrill cries rang out. Feet were coming down the corridor. There was a ring and clatter as the Company drew their swords. Glamdring shone with a pale light, and Sting glinted at the edges.

This whole passage is rather salsa, but I particularly like the words harsh, shrill, ring, clatter, and glinted. These words sound almost sharp and violent, in anticipation of the battle to come.
Daniel, well-done in picking out words that are not only salsa words, but that point to the coming battle. Guess that's why a few people have read Tolkein over the years, huh?
mljoshua
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by mljoshua »

I'm not sure I'd call all of the words you chose salsa words, but then again, it's not an exact science...they're certainly not rice cake words, either. Maybe something in between, like a tasty potato salad...they do indeed show us Percy's actions, though!

Are there other lessons that you'd like to see posted here?
Hmmm... potato salad words. I like that - 20 years in Dallas sure makes one like bbq and potato salad. LOL
mljoshua
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

a little off topic

Post by mljoshua »

Cajunluvie wrote:
glorybee wrote:Cajunluvie, welcome!

What a great selection! You've picked out a wonderful list of words, too.

What's your usual genre, and why did you pick this book?

Hope to see your contributions in future classes.
Actually, the genre I seem to be wanting to write within is inspirational Christian fiction. My ideas seem to be varied.

As for reading books, I tend to read mysteries of different kind, Christian fiction, historical fiction, and whatever catches my eye and I skim the book to see if it is "clean" and I can read them in good conscience. lol. I just love to read.

After I took a 4 months concentrated course at CWG, I was told to read more and try different genres that I would not normally read just to observe the writing styles.

I picked this book at the library on the "New Books" section. I liked the cover and the title grabbed my eye. I read the summary inset on the inside cover and thought this sounds interesting.

So, there ya have it. LOL.
Curious what you thought of the CWG course, I am going to start their Apprentice Level program in a month or so.
goldenseabright
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by goldenseabright »

Hello Jan
This is my first time in one of your classes.

No Distance To Far, by Lauraine Snelling

Astrid gave the book-lined room a quick glance, her attention snapping back to a huge map of the continent of Africa on one wall.

quick?
Glance
Snapping
huge

She also could of said; a huge map of the continent of Africa covering one wall.
Would this have been to much.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Welcome, goldenseabright!

Thanks for the sentence with 'salsa' words. 'Snapping' is a really good one, isn't it?

She could have added 'covering' without over-doing the sentence, or even something more salsa-like...

...a huge map of the continent of Africa dangling on the wall.
...thumb-tacked to the wall

I look forward to reading your responses on my other lessons!
JudySauer
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Re: Jan's New "Class"--Writing Basics

Post by JudySauer »

Path of the Pearl by Mary Olsen Kelly

You have a rainbow of choices, and the choices you make now along the path are what will determine the trajectory you follow. Why not walk this path of life with as much color, creativity, personality, and fun as possible? Life is not about drudgery-Life is a dance!

My thoughts on how these words are effective in this passage:
"Rainbow of choices" is more colorful than a myriad of choices.
"Trajectory you follow" is better than the path to follow.
"Life is a dance!" removes the drudgery we might accept.
Mercy, peace, and love be yours in abundance. -Jude 2 NIV

Judy Sauer
http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=23323
glorybee

Re: Jan's New "Class"--Writing Basics

Post by glorybee »

JudySauer wrote:Path of the Pearl by Mary Olsen Kelly

You have a rainbow of choices, and the choices you make now along the path are what will determine the trajectory you follow. Why not walk this path of life with as much color, creativity, personality, and fun as possible? Life is not about drudgery-Life is a dance!

My thoughts on how these words are effective in this passage:
"Rainbow of choices" is more colorful than a myriad of choices.
"Trajectory you follow" is better than the path to follow.
"Life is a dance!" removes the drudgery we might accept.
Well-chosen passage, Judy. I totally agree with everything you said.

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”