To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

New Master Class Starting Soon!

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

New Master Class Starting Soon!

Postby glorybee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:18 am

Well, I've thought a lot about what to cover in this new session, but have finally settled on a short class covering the many different poetic forms. I'm not going to cover poetic literary devices (alliteration, onomatopoeia, figurative language, etc.), since that would be a repeat of last year's "class". (However, I'm sure that I'll have to touch on many of those terms.)

Here are my goals, and I'll start working on class #1 right away, probably to be posted on Monday:

1. Teach the basics of several well-known forms of poetry: most of them have rules for rhyme and/or meter, subject matter, length, etc.

2. Give examples from literature, and when possible, from the Writing Challenge.

3. Suggest ways that each form could be used in the Writing Challenge.

4. Give "homework" assignments to help poets of all abilities to stretch their poetic muscles.

What else would you want to see taught in a class about poetic forms?

Here are some of the forms that I'd like to teach about. I'm familiar (more or less) with most of these, and I think they'll be the most accessible to FaithWriters poets. Are there others that I should add to my list?

haiku
limerick
sonnet
sestina
acrostic
ballad
blank verse
cinquain
ode
quatrain
clerihew
tercet
villanelle
pantoum
concrete poem
free verse
tanka
diamante

NOTE TO ANYONE NEW TO THE BOARDS, OR TO THE MASTER CLASS: This isn't a "class" in the traditional sense, not at all! I post a lesson, and the wonderful people here at FaithWriters add their input--often correcting or enhancing my efforts. We do a lot of back-and-forth dialogue, and by the end of the week, we ALL have a better understanding of the week's topic.

I don't have any particular expertise on these forms aside from a lifelong love of poetry, and several years of collaborative teaching with some excellent high school literature teachers.

There's no attendance taken, no mandatory assignments, no grading, no fee. Just writers talking about writing.
Last edited by glorybee on Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Ackerson

Toni Star
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Am interested...

Postby Toni Star » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

I'm definitely interested in taking this class. I like to write poetry but I need information on its structure, meaning and purpose..

So, I'll be here next Monday...

Toni
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am

Great, Toni!

By the way, for those of you who hoped for a class on Basics of Grammar, Punctuation, etc., I've recently talked to Ann Grover, and she's probably going to be starting hers up again soon. Watch for that at the "Ann's Jots and Tittles" forum!
Jan Ackerson

Toni Star
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Thank you...

Postby Toni Star » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks, Jan...

Ann's class sounds great, too..Will be checking it out, also..

Many thanks...

Toni
Toni Star, freelance writer/editor and graduate student

"Never give up, for there is always an answer for everyone who seeks, knocks or asks."

Granny's Pen
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby Granny's Pen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:38 pm

I had fun with the "Skinny" poem, but was never convinced it was an acknowledged form. Have you heard of this?
Granny's Pen

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 am

I haven't heard of it, Deb...can you send me a link, please?
Jan Ackerson

lthomas
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Postby lthomas » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 am

I'm looking forward to this class, Jan. The more I read poetry, the more convinced I become that it is one of the purest most direct means of communication between souls.

I'm not sure I'd ever become a poet as I think poets are born, not made; but the language is so rich and has so much depth that simply learning about it opens an entire new world to me.

Until class then - Loren
"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." From "As You Like It." Wm. Shakespeare.

Granny's Pen

Postby Granny's Pen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:00 pm

Jan, I have a couple of skinny poems I could send you, but, for whatever reason, my Word program won't open today. :?: Basically, they are poems of any length consisting of short lines. Poetic elements must be present in every line (or close to it), but it is not necessary to rhyme at the end of the line.

This was one of the forms we were assigned in my college Creative Writing class.
Granny's Pen

yvonne

Postby yvonne » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Yay, Jan!!
I can't wait... *wiggle, wiggle, bounce, bounce*

:superhappy :party :superhappy

(Can you tell I'm excited?...okay, I'll try to be patient until Monday.)

:heehee

Vonnie

swfdoc1

Re: New Master Class Starting Soon!

Postby swfdoc1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:02 pm

glorybee wrote:Are there others that I should add to my list?

Great choices. Two possible ideas.

1) While forms based on repeated lines are well represented, how about something with HALF line repeats? Maybe a rondeau, rondine, or roundel (not to be confused with a rondel, rondelet or roundelay) (good grief!)). Famous example: In Flanders Field.

2) Is prose poetry too far afield?
Steve
nlf.net
________
"When the Round Table is broken every man must follow Galahad or Mordred; middle
things are gone." C.S. Lewis
“The chief purpose of life … is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all the means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks. To do as we say in the Gloria in Excelsis ... We praise you, we call you holy, we worship you, we proclaim your glory, we thank you for the greatness of your splendor.” J.R.R. Tolkien

beff

Postby beff » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm looking forward to this class, Jan.

I considered writing a rondeau redouble once (but didn't get very far). The form is fascinating.

http://www.volecentral.co.uk/vf/rondouble.htm
Beth LaBuff

..in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son... Hebrews 1:2

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:38 pm

Steve and Beth, thanks! I'll look those up and add them to my list.
Jan Ackerson

beff

Postby beff » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:19 pm

Jan, Awhile back I found this amazing site full of poetry forms.

http://www.volecentral.co.uk/vf/index.htm

The rondeau redouble (from above) was included in this.
Beth LaBuff

..in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son... Hebrews 1:2

yvonne

Postby yvonne » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Wow.... that should keep you busy for a LONG time, Jan!

:heehee

colin_nielsen
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)
Pencil 4 (150-199 Posts)

Postby colin_nielsen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm in. I used to love writing poetry. Could get away with my extremely poor grammar and people thought I was great lol. I'm wondering if grammar rules still apply to poetry. These days I usually I try and match up the syllables on every line. eg every line has the same amount of syllables. Don't know if it's a form but it does make you choose your words very carefully.

Colin
Why would a young man live in a wasteland when the castle of his dreams is standing by?
Why would a princess put on an old dress to dance with her beloved and the chance to catch his eye?

Next

Return to Jan's Writing Basics