Jan's Master Class--TITLE

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee, mikeedwards, RedBaron, glorybee

rubywoman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rubywoman »

I agonize over titles!! I just don't get it. Hopefully your suggestions will sink in and help me add that "zip" to them.

I have two titles I liked from the challenges (the stories themselves could use more editing and reworking). My third title I like, but it is for a Bible Study I have yet to finish researching and then write - been going on at least two years. Someday I'll have it done...yep!

Gotcha!
I like this one because it's just a great set-up. It perfectly sums up the whole plot and is catchy - it eludes to something surprising.

The Missed Romance of Miss Sadie Grey
I like this one because of the play of words - using "Missed" and "Miss". It also is a good summary of the plot - Sadie misses the romance right before her eyes. I do hope to make this into a full chit lit book, someday.

Crown Jewel or Kryptonite? A Proverbs 31 Woman's Influence
This title is hooking, I think. The contrast between the two starter words and then the connection to influence. I don't know. I just like it and hope it sells - hope I can finish it!!
Tammy
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

NEW BLOG! Writer in the Rough

I'm a Nano WINNER but too tired to figure out the stinkin' banner!!
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Tammy, I'd definitely take a second look at the "Crown Jewel or Kryptonite" title--super salsa words!
Jan Ackerson -- Follow me, friend me, give me a wave!
http://www.superioreditingservice.com
Twitter: @janackerson1
Instagram: janackerson
Facebook: Jan Worgul Ackerson, Superior Editing Service, Jan Ackerson, writer
rubywoman
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by rubywoman »

Thanks, Jan! Every bit of encouragement helps propel me...
Tammy
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised." Proverbs 31:30

NEW BLOG! Writer in the Rough

I'm a Nano WINNER but too tired to figure out the stinkin' banner!!
CatLin
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)
Pencil 6 (300-499 Posts)

Post by CatLin »

Ugh Titles. Even though I put a lot of thought into titles, I'm not very good at them usually. I use plays on common sayings or titles a lot; I consider it cheating a little, but they sound good to me. And I used to start many titles with "The". It was mentioned somewhere on the boards (probably by dub) that you shouldn't do that, so I stopped. (It must have been around January 08, cuz that's the last time a title starts with "The" :lol:)

One of my favorite titles was used as an example (which made me turn somersaults!) "Unquenched" says so much about the character, physically, mentally, emotionally, and it was a rare "pop" - it popped into my head immediately when I started to think about a title, and I knew it was a keeper.

"GATOR IN THE 'HOOCH" - Yes, it is in all caps - a no-no -- except when I REALLY MEAN TO BE HOLLERING! It was no accident. :) This was the only title that came before the story. I heard a news-teaser saying (seriously) "Gator in the 'Hooch! - stay tuned for the story at 11". I looked at my husband and said, "What an awesome story title. I can't NOT write about that." So I did. I made it work for the topic, and even worked that very news-teaser into the story. And it was one of my few EC's. :D :D

I like "The Roar of the Dandelions" - a play on "The Roar of the Crowd", and a lion roaring. I thought it was clever - although I don't know if it was effective in drawing crowds (roaring or otherwise)

My third choice has a typo in the TITLE! :roll: It was supposed to be "From Scritch Scritch to Scratch". I like the alliteration, plus it tells the basic plot, ending included, but not in a way that people would immediately recognize. :wink:
Catrina Bradley
FaithWriters Profile
Scattered Seeds
Jewels of Encouragement

"God rewrote the text of my life when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes." Psalm 18:24 (The Message)
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Catrina, those are all awesome--so much so that I can't even pick a favorite. I'd turn eagerly to any of those stories, waiting to see what was in store for me.

Wish I'd had you help me title my last clunker!
srashmi
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by srashmi »

I should begin by saying that I loathe coming up with titles and spend entirely too much time agonizing over them.

That said, here are a few titles I'm now able to tolerate:

Papa's Sunset for the double meaning of the actual sunset and the sunset of Papa's life.

On the Bridge again for the literal and metaphorical meaning of the title.

A Bouquet of Solace is a play on words, with the floral-named characters providing cheer.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Seema, I love what you said about having titles with double meanings. I like those, too--the reader thinks she knows what it's about, and then there's that epiphany when the second meaning becomes clear.

My latest title is just like that--but I can't say more for over a week!
Sonny
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Sonny »

I have enjoyed reading other peoples titles. This is something I'm not very good at . However, I'll try to do the homework and post three of my favorites.

"Reflections in time" God has given us the gift of memories. At most any given time we can draw on them going back in time. I wrote this reflecting back on some of my favorite memories and believing there are others who can relate.
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... p?id=84760

"A place called home" was written in memory of my Mother. It is a true story. At least a couple of times a year I go back to where I was born and raised . I drive past the old home place and can almost see my Mom and Dad.
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... p?id=80458

"Stand up" is a song asking people to "stand up" for God and their country. I wrote it shortly after 911 which inspired it.
http://www.faithwriters.com/article-det ... p?id=68436

Sonny
Clarence "Sonny" White

http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-time- ... 822&sr=1-2

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/Reflect ... store=book

http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?id=29668

"Delight thyself also in the Lord; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."
Psalms 37 v4 KJV
Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Title

Post by Colswann1 »

Hi Jan

Just stumbled over your retirement statement - forget about my last post. Have a blest rest.

Colin
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
Colswann1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Title

Post by Colswann1 »

Hi Jan

Here's a few of my challenge titles:-

1. 'Rhino versus Rhino' - A story about a married couple who had rhino tendancies, to blindly charge at each other with unbridled temper.

2. 'Mary the Modern Magus' - Piece about a young lady wanting to offer Jesus a special gift.

3. 'The Lonely Lady' - Miriam's segregation from the Israelite camp - in a tent and suffering alone there from leprosy
Colin Swann

Jesus’ love is constant and never wavers.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

Colin, these are ALL cathcy titles--but I've got to say that the one that REALLY grabs my attention is "Rhino Versus Rhino". I'd turn to that one in a heartbeat! It's got wonderful salsa words, and a bit of whimsy, and a bit of conflict--just perfect, in fact!
Tally
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by Tally »

Perhaps I missed it, but what is the definition of salsa words?

Thank you.
glorybee

Post by glorybee »

No problem--it was 5 pages ago! This is from the initial post of this lesson:
6. A good title should have at least one really strong, interesting word in it. One of the teachers in my school calls these ‘salsa’ words, while boring words are ‘rice cake’ words. I took a look through the titles in several recent challenges, and I found these salsa words: rigmarole, satin, camels, wrinkles, doggoned, outrageous, superwoman, safari, puddle, unquenched, Baboo. On the other hand, I also found these rice cake words: relationship, walk, call, destination, now, say, loss, beginning, good.
Any questions? Ask away.
Grace
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

First Words that Hook Me and Hold Me…

Post by Grace »

Hey there Jan,

My top picks (at this particular moment, but always looking for new and interesting title words that resonate, and then asking why) for titles are;

"The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie"

"Velvet Elvis"

"Poisonwood Bible"

Thanks for making me think about the details.

Lesley-Anne
"What we are given is God's gift to us... what we do with it is our gift to God." Anonymous
Grace
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Title

Post by Grace »

I've been away from the Message boards for a while… and didn't realize you were taking time away Jan. All the very best and I look forward to hearing more from and about you!

Love,
Lesley-Anne
Colswann1 wrote:Hi Jan

Just stumbled over your retirement statement - forget about my last post. Have a blest rest.

Colin
"What we are given is God's gift to us... what we do with it is our gift to God." Anonymous

Return to “Jan's Writing Basics”