To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

dialect

These lessons, by one of our most consistent FaithWriters' Challenge Champions, should not be missed. So we're making a permanent home for them here.

Moderators: mikeedwards, glorybee

glorybee

dialect

Postby glorybee » Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 pm

What fun, Karen! With daughter #2 near Tampa, I'll have to fly in some time for the pirate invasion.

You had a great example there, which makes me wonder...how are you so deft with Pirate-ese? Have some scurvy ancestors, do ye?
Jan Ackerson

kit10
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby kit10 » Tue May 13, 2008 2:50 pm

glorybee wrote:
I'm trying to think of a novel with a non-southern dialect. It's too late in the evening for that kind of thinking, though...I'll get back to it in a bit.

Anyone else?

Eliza Doolittle in the play, Pygmalian by George Bernard Shaw. I think it's a cockney (London) accent.
Christine

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. ~ Louisa May Alcott

I avoid looking forward or backward and try to keep looking upward. ~ Charlotte Bronte

My Profile

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue May 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Laurie wrote:I haven't tried this many times - just in a couple of challenge entries. They were sooo much fun to write. :)

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=13420

http://www.faithwriters.com/wc-article- ... p?id=14678

I hope I did okay. I ain't had no formal book learnin' on sech things. ;)

You did more than okay, Laurie, and the fun you had writing these is very evident. Thanks for the links!
Jan Ackerson

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Tue May 13, 2008 11:42 pm

Chely wrote:Uncle Tom's Cabin has a unique variation of southern dialect.

It made my brain hurt; I never finished it because it was waaaay too grueling. I have always shunned Cliff Notes...but in this case... :oops:

Chely, it's been years since I read that, so I just went online and skimmed a few chapters...whew boy! You're so right! It reads very much like "Huckleberry Finn", but without the wit that might keep a reader plugging away at it. Way too much work, and I think that's as much due to the time period in which it was written as the dialect.
Jan Ackerson

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Sat May 17, 2008 10:18 am

itsjoanne wrote:I have come to a conclusion - I must be AFRAID of dialect, because, despite the fact that I have written 74 articles here, unless I'm missing something, not ONE of them has dialect.

Guess I'd better do my homework (though not at this moment - guess I'll think about it and come back.) :shock:

Don't be late with that homework! I'm giving extra credit to anyone who finishes before Sunday.
Jan Ackerson

Return to Jan's Writing Basics