To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

God wants you to be rich

A place to discuss writing and publishing of Devotions and other Inspirational Articles. Feel free to share your devotionals and inspirational articles here.

Moderator: Deb Porter

Ltfaulds
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

God wants you to be rich

Postby Ltfaulds » Tue May 27, 2014 12:05 pm

2 Cor 9:7
Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The Greek word for the english word "cheerful" in this verse is "hilaros". It is the root word from which we get our english word "hilareous". Why does God love an hilareous giver? I believe it is because that is how He gives. Mal 3:10 says:

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
KJV

I believe God wants all His children to be rich. The problem with this is our definition of riches. We have fallen into the trap of accepting the worlds definition that we don't know what God's definition of being rich means. We want fame and fortune, health and wealth. We want silver and gold.
God thinks of silver and gold as gravel and asphalt, road building material. True riches with God is wisdom, knowledge, and understanding - things that do not fade away. Greater intimency with Him. A deeper faith in His love for us and His work in our lives.
So often we, at least subconsciously, don't want God's riches because those usually come at the cost of earthly riches. We would rather have earthly riches than Godly riches. We work all our lives to raise our standard of living, to make these temporary lives here on earth easier or more pleasureable, all the while neglecting to store up treasures in heaven.
It delights God to no end when He can give us His riches. Things that we will never lose, even in death. God wants us to be rich in these things.

tomoral
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: God wants you to be rich

Postby tomoral » Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 pm

When I am rich in faith, I am never poor. :wink:

I like your article a lot. Thanks for sharing! :superhappy
God Bless the beasts and the children
Give them shelter from the storms.
Children are our tomorrow
Keep them daily from the sorrow
Of the beasts in life

http://www.faithwriters.com/websites/my ... p?id=57394

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:05 am

Ltfaulds wrote: God thinks of silver and gold as gravel and asphalt, road building material.

I basically agree with much of your premise, but do you have a biblical reference for the above statement?

I also have some thoughts about "earthly" riches. Sometimes I think they get a bum rap in our effort to not make the pursuit of them a priority.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of having earthly riches vs. not having spiritual riches, or that God frowns on earthly riches; certainly not when He provides them. "It is good and fitting for one to...enjoy the good of his labor...As for every man to whom God has given riches and wealth...this is the gift of God" (Eccl.5:18, 19).

God's definition of riches may also include earthly riches, depending on the context.

As you have indicated, what role temporal riches play in our pursuit of the godly life is the key question for me.
Ltfaulds wrote:"We work all our lives to raise our standard of living, to make these temporary lives here on earth easier or more pleasureable, all the while neglecting to store up treasures in heaven."

How would you interpret Jesus' words in Mark 10:30?

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Never mind. Thought about opening a can of worms, decided it was best not. :oops:
Jan Ackerson

violin4jesus

Postby violin4jesus » Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm

glorybee wrote:Never mind. Thought about opening a can of worms, decided it was best not. :oops:

Leah likes this :thumbs

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Oh, Jan, just give us a hint. Curiosity is killing me. And as for me, I'm not squeamish about worms. :D

Lillian

Fortunate 500

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

Ltfaulds
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby Ltfaulds » Wed May 28, 2014 2:40 pm

My scripture reference to God considering gold as road building material is Revelation 21:21 "...and the street of the city was pure gold, as it were transparent glass." Speaking about the street in the New Jerusalem.

I was not trying to give earthly a bum rap. God has given them to a number of people including Job. It was our pre-occupation with them over spiritual riches that I was driving at. Mark 10:23 "...How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!" God wants our focus to be on Him, not on get, keeping, and growing material wealth. He wants our focus to be on growing closer to Him.
Psalms 37:4 says, "Delight thyself also in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart." How many times though, is the desires of our heart just to delight ourselves in the Lord? Or do we seek "first the kingdom of God" so that "all these things shall be added unto you?"

My intent was to encourage people to seek to know God better. For most of my life, I was just a casual Christian. Most, if not everything, I knew about God, I got from either sitting in a pew, or attending a Christian school. The past few years my knowledge and relationship of and with God has grown tremendously by getting into God's word and reading it and studying it for myself on a daily basis. I have learned things directly from the Holy Spirit opening my eyes as I read His word, instead of waiting to get things second hand from our pastor. I believe there are true riches of wisdom in God's word that the Holy Spirit wants to reveal to us Himself if only we will spend that time searching for them in prayer.

As for my interpretation of Mark 10:30, if we look at the apostles and many in the early church, they died as martyrs. Most had nothing they could really claim as their own. Take Paul for instance. What did he have that he could call his own? Most of the time he had very little and had to rely on the generosity of others. But, and this is where my interpretation comes in. He could go anywhere in the Roman empire and find brothers and sisters in Christ who would gladly house him and give him just about anything he needed. He had nothing of his own, but through his service for God he had great riches.

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Wed May 28, 2014 5:50 pm

Ltfaulds wrote:It was our pre-occupation with them over spiritual riches that I was driving at. Mark 10:23 "...How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!" God wants our focus to be on Him, not on get, keeping, and growing material wealth. He wants our focus to be on growing closer to Him.

Amen! :D

Lillian

Fortunate 500

ROBIN
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby ROBIN » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:56 pm

I understand. Amen.

As the scripture says,..... "seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."(Matt.6:33)That can be all the riches available, temporal and spiritual. Getting our priorities right is the important thing.

Return to Devotional/Inspirational Writing