To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

Search Me & Change Me

A place to discuss writing and publishing of Devotions and other Inspirational Articles. Feel free to share your devotionals and inspirational articles here.

Moderator: Deb Porter

hldude
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Search Me & Change Me

Postby hldude » Tue May 06, 2014 10:27 am

“Search Me & Change Me”
By Zach Wood
Psalm 139:23-24
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”

What a powerful passage and psalm from David! This is a deep cry out to God and a longing that he expresses to his Father to know him and turn him away from any way that does that please the Father. As I read this verse, I thought about the sermon a couple weeks ago regarding our motives for the things we do and say to others. Sometimes, our motives are hidden and we can fool many people. But, we can never fool God. He knows us and wants us to be led in His way. He knows we are human and we will chase after what our flesh desires. However, we must realize that our flesh desires will not bring any eternal peace.

What’s your motive? If God searched your heart and your thoughts, would He find selfish motives or would He find a servant’s attitude and desire in all that you do? I’m often fighting selfish desires within. I find myself knowing I need to be a good minister for my congregation, a good husband to my wife and a good father to my children. However, so often, my motives aren’t pure and right. I want what I want and that’s how it is! In these times, I desperately need to ask God to cleanse me from these ways and thoughts and seek him in all I do. My desire should be to serve Him by serving others and being the role model He has called me to be.

We would most likely all agree that we desire for God to change us and make us more like Him, but the actual change sometimes is a great challenge for us to accept. The change is usually never easy, but the growth it brings to our lives is wonderful.

Have you asked God to search your mind and heart lately? Have you asked Him to show you what ways you need to change to follow Him more passionately? If we pray that way, we need to be ready and willing to change to follow Him with more commitment.

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: Search Me & Change Me

Postby Deb Porter » Tue May 06, 2014 7:18 pm

Good challenge, Zach. Sometimes, I believe, we are not only hiding our motives from others, but even from ourselves. That's why David cried out for God to search him because we don't always see it.

I sometimes wonder if people really think about the words of some of the songs we sing or the prayers we pray. If we ask God to strip away everything that's not of Him, or if we ask Him, as David did, to search the hidden parts of our soul, then we have to be prepared to discover things we may not want to see.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

hldude
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Re: Search Me & Change Me

Postby hldude » Wed May 07, 2014 11:49 am

Deb, thank you so much for your reply and the thoughts you shared. I really appreciate you replying and sharing what's on your heart. I also want to thank you for allowing me to post my devotionals on here. I like coming back to read what others comment about and how God is working in their lives. It's a joy to see God work through so many various ways.

Thank you for letting me share these writings each week.

God Bless,
Zach

Return to Devotional/Inspirational Writing