Highest Rankings for ACTION/ADVENTURE Challenge

The Challenge winners will be posted here two weeks after entries close for each topic, and the Highest Ranked entries will be posted sometime later that day or the next.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Highest Rankings for ACTION/ADVENTURE Challenge

Post by Deb Porter »

ACTION/ADVENTURE CHALLENGE

TOP 20 OVERALL
(Total number of Entries: 46 )

1 Life, One Clue at a Time by Diane Bowman
2 Second Chances by Katherine (Kat) Kane
3 A Cabin Boy's Prayer by JK Stenger
4 Immobilised by Gregory Kane
5 Many Waters by Milly Born
6 Check Line by Rachel Barrett
7 Inmate 4859 by Virginia Bliss
8 To Trust a Viper by Helen Curtis
9 Are You Sure Mr. Aesop? by Veronica Winley
10 Chomped by Jack Taylor
11 Captive by Gary Ritter
12 Danger in the Desert by Leola Ogle
13 Leon of the North by Yvonne Blake
14 Skydive by Graham Keet
15 Through the Darkness by Holly Westefeld
16 First Encounter by Trace Pezzali
17 Between Hay and Grass by Ann Grover
18 The Best Laid Plans by Joanna Lynn
19 Tell Me A story Granddad by Pauline Carruthers
20 You Don't Have to be Stupid . . . by Noel Mitaxa

TOP 5 LEVEL 1
(Total number of Entries for Level One: 10 )

1 First Encounter by Trace Pezzali
2 The Best Laid Plans by Joanna Lynn
3 Miracle by Julie Berry
4 Firefight by Dawn Elwell
5 The Third Man by Gloria Pierre Dean

TOP 5 LEVEL 2
(Total number of Entries for Level Two: 7 )

1 Skydive by Graham Keet
2 High Adventure on the Highway by Ernest Yoder
3 Safer Than a Known Way by Shanta Richard
4 Twinkles and Dimples in Paradise by Jennifer Liang
5 Nanibelle and Cletus McNasti by Robert Douglas Brown

TOP 6 LEVEL 3
(Total number of Entries for Level Three: 12 )

1 Life, One Clue at a Time by Diane Bowman
2 Captive by Gary Ritter
3 Through the Darkness by Holly Westefeld
4 Conquering our Everest by Alan Kane
5 Special Ops by Clyde Blakely
6 Famous-Almost-Last-Words by Brenda Rice

TOP 8 LEVEL 4
(Total number of Entries for Level Four: 17 )

1 Second Chances by Katherine (Kat) Kane
2 A Cabin Boy's Prayer by JK Stenger
3 Immobilised by Gregory Kane
4 Many Waters by Milly Born
5 Check Line by Rachel Barrett
6 Inmate 4859 by Virginia Bliss
7 To Trust a Viper by Helen Curtis
8 Are You Sure Mr. Aesop? by Veronica Winley
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

GranR
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Re: Highest Rankings for ACTION/ADVENTURE Challenge

Post by GranR »

Hello Deb and everyone at Faithwriters. I have been unable to participate in the challenges for few weeks now due to illness. Thank the Good Lord I am much better. My last entry was for Action/Adventure Challenge. I placed sixth in level 3. Although I am placing in level three often, I am not writing well enough for editors choice. Any ideas that might help me boost my writing to a new level? I am seriously asking and you won't hurt my feelings. If I should be asking this question in another forum please clue me. Sometimes I am clueless. Blessings to you all and Merry Christmas!

Brenda Rice
GranR
Shann

Re: Highest Rankings for ACTION/ADVENTURE Challenge

Post by Shann »

I can think of three things that might help. The first is to check out Jan's Writing Basics and actually participate in the homework and discussions.

The next would be to place a piece or two in the Critique Circle. There are some professional editors there that will give you honest constructive feedback. Also when you throw a brick, ask for red ink. You have to do more than just say red ink appreciated but really stress that you'd appreciate any constructive feedback you can get.

Lastly, the single thing that helped me the most was when I challenged myself to read and comment on every entry. I know not everyone has time to do that, nor do I right now, but do as many as you can, start at your level. Make an honest effort to point out two positives for every constructive feedback. Leaving constructive feedback will help in so many ways. As you look for things that might be tweaked, you'll soon discover that you know what does or doesn't work for you. For example, until I started leaving feedback I didn't realize that some dream sequences can feel likie a cop out. Going back over my own work, I discovered I too had used that device and now I could see why it felt like an easy ending. I have had one or maybe two where I talked about a real dream, but I learned I wanted to avoid the dream or was it real scenario along with the mysterious stranger. Some people can put fresh spins on them, but it takes talent and practice to do it.

I also realized the more I left feedback, the more I received it. I try to make sure the author knows this is my opinion and not all people will dislike a dream ending. I also try to give examples. Instead of just saying you should use less taglines or do more showing, I will pull out a section and say Maybe if you had started the beginning with an active sentence it would pull the reader in more. For example instead of saying Thelma was tired and worried about the coming events of the day, try this: Yawning, Thelma stretched while rubbing her eyes. Oh boy today is going to be a difficult day, I know it. I should climb back in bed and pull the covers over my head.
I usually say it's not perfect by any means but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I mean by creating a picture with inner dialog and actions.

I guess, I have a 4th suggestion too, although it kind of goes with the above. Read as much as you can in as many different genres as possible. Many people fear they haven't been writing long enough to give constructive feedback, but you're not writing for other authors, you're writing for readers and you've likely been doing that for years.

I hope this helps. I'll try to pop in and find some of your work! Hugs :mrgreen:
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to “Results and Highest Rankings”