An In-Depth Look Into The Writer's Emotions

The Challenge winners will be posted here two weeks after entries close for each topic, and the Highest Ranked entries will be posted sometime later that day or the next.

Moderators: RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne, RedBaron, itsjoanne

JesusPuppy
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by JesusPuppy »

Ok.. so I am the total opposite of the scale. I already KNOW I am not good enough, and that I NEED work on my writing, that's why I am here, Right..?

Oh, there have been plenty of times I "thought" I had a good one, and didn't place worth beans, and get this, the one I thought of as worthless ( written as a joke mainly), won 3rd place. Go figure. :roll:

The one thing I do know, and that from encouragement of others here, I have improved since I first got here. And that's what I wanted. I will never see my own work as anything but second rate, but it is getting better. Well I hope it is.... maybe they were lying to make me feel better. :|
....JesusPuppy (or just call me Pup) Image

And just for the record, I am a Male.

"I am a writer, I do NOT lie... I fictionalise." JP

"The Lord Bless thee, and keep thee.." Num. 6:24

JesusPuppy Profile

Cypress Times, online Christian news paper.
FreedomWriter
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by FreedomWriter »

lidijo1 wrote:
But this I do know... God has given the talent and I would be remiss not to use it... so I keep writing, and pray that God will use it for His glory. I will keep on writing, and accept not winning as God's way of keeping me humble.
This is exactly how I see it, too. In my writing. In my prayer life when my prayers aren't answered. I fall into the ditch a lot, but I know God doesn't want me to stay there long.
-Rikki
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11

Started my very long journey May 29th 2012 toward continued education.
Destination: Doctor of Psychology.
ginadaye
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Ah-ha!

Post by ginadaye »

Thanks, Jan! So very much appreciate that you supplied the link! I've printed them off and will take a look-see!

Win or lose, I love being part of this group!

Gina
FW 500 Member

Psalm 57:1 ". . . in the shelter of they wings I will make my refuge . . . "
PottersClay
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by PottersClay »

Yes, I really struggled with disappointment, especially when I like what I've written (and it's vulnerable/personal) or if others have expressed their approval of it. I find it a double blow that the results come twice, first the top 5 end EC's and then top 15 and top 40 overall. I get through the first disappointment by thinking "oh, well, maybe I'll make top 40," then I feel even worse when I don't.

But a couple of things on this that I'm starting to learn slowly:

1. Initially I was very focused on where I placed. Now that I've gotten to know more people on the site, I really enjoy seeing them place well too. Also I used to read the other articles just to see how they compared to mine :oops: , but now I'm reading them to ENJOY them and LEARN something from them.

2. Something that really helped me for one article that I was very disappointed not to place in, was getting a feedback rating service from Deb. What I saw there was that my article was very well liked by the judges (I even got several "excellent" ratings from one of them). If it had been an exam I would have had over 80%, yet it only ranked 65th overall. Well that helped me to see that just because I didn't place, doesn't mean my writing was poor or that they didn't appreciate it.

3. For myself I feel that some of these negative emotions reflect pride, and God is very much dealing with that in my life. This "pain" has been a wonderful tool in His hands, and I am grateful for it.

Joan
Give me the love that leads the way,
The faith that nothing can dismay,
The hope no disappointments tire,
The passion that will burn like fire.
Let me not sink to be a clod,
Make me Thy fuel, Flame of God.
Amy Carmichael

Return to “Results and Highest Rankings”