To view this notification widget you need to have JavaScript enabled. This notification widget was easily created with NotifySnack.
Home Tour About Read What's New Help Forums Join Login
My Account
Shop
Save
Support
E
Book
Store
Learn
About
Jesus

The HOME for Christian writers!
The Home for Christian Writers!

Forums

This area is only a small portion of FaithWriters. The main site can be joined HERE.
Shop & Save to SUPPORT FaithWriters.
Upgrade to SUPPORT FaithWriters.

New Ratings Categories - as at October 22, 2010

All the facts about the Challenge and special announcements from the Coordinator.

Moderator: Deb Porter

Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Re: New Ratings Categories - as at October 22, 2010

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:33 pm

For a really high score in this category, yes.

However, someone could still get a good score (3.5 to 3.9) or even a very good score (4.0 to 4.4) if it was very well written but wasn't the freshest thing on the block.

Put it this way, a fresh article that is topical (without already being done to death) will always have strong publishing potential, even if it needs a bit of a tweak here and there. So minor editing issues will be overlooked if the article is really, really strong in that way. But if there's a lot of work needed, it will rate middle of the road for this category, even if it has potential.

Love, Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

yvonne
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Postby yvonne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

Yes, I realize that it all averages out.
I just needed to understand this point.
I'm good now.
Thanks, Deb! :thankssign

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Sorry Yvonne, I didn't mean it averages out generally when I said they could still get a good score. I meant a good score in that specific category.

(Although, yes, it does still all average out based on the eight categories.)

yvonne

Postby yvonne » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Oh, yes...that, too!

I'm glad I'm not judging. I wouldn't know what is marketable or not.

I'm glad we can put our trust in their capable hands.

laetitiaking
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby laetitiaking » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 am

Good Day

I would like to know where I can get honest feedback for my articles after it was ranked.

RedBaron

Postby RedBaron » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 am

laetitiaking wrote:Good Day

I would like to know where I can get honest feedback for my articles after it was ranked.

The best thing to do is post in the Brickthrowingthread and ask for Feedback, or submit a request for a paid evaluation.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07

lish1936

Postby lish1936 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:21 pm

laetitiaking wrote:Good Day

:typing2

I would like to add to Shari's info. The following links may be helpful.

http://www.faithwriters.com/critique-circle.php - free
http://www.finessewriting.com.au/index.html - affordable charge

Also, post a request on the Forum for a PM critique, if it's a Challenge article - free

You can also request a Priv. Message (PM) critique, if it's a Challenge Article. If most Faithwriters think as I do, then there is some reluctance to critique a Challenge article because the comments/assessment may differ from the professional Judges; there is no way to remove those lovely yellow bars. :-)

But I have on occasion sent a PM critique. Hope this adds to your options.

Lillian
E-Book - Retirement Lane - How to Celebrate Life After 60

Fortunate 500

I write even when I think I can't, because I must. :-)

I love to write. Nothing escapes the crush I have on the written word. I'm hooked on words!!

"Let words bewitch you. Scrutinze them, mull them, savor them, and in combination, until you see their subtle differences and the ways they tint each other." Francis Flaherty

kerrylou1
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Postby kerrylou1 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:00 am

I think a win is going to be purely accidental.
Love is of God

PleasantLady215
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby PleasantLady215 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi there - I'm a little confused. When you say don't mention the Challenge - do you mean the actual topic title - like "Endless" or do you mean the fact that the article is being written for a writing Challenge?

Thanks,
Linda

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi Linda.

One of the worst ways to start an entry is "When I sat down to write something for this week's topic of the Writing Challenge."

The problem is that we are looking for entries that will make sense to readers outside of FaithWriters. The winners are going to be published in a book, and some of the articles are used in the online Magazine. So if the Challenge is mentioned, it immediately reduces the publishing potential. You have to assume the reader doesn't know anything about FaithWriters or the Challenge.

As far as using the topic word, that's fine. Just don't overdo it. For example, if the word is "Endless," you wouldn't be obligated to repeat that word multiple times in your article. (In poetry it may be a little different if it's being used as part of the poetry form.) So you can use the word, but be subtle with it.

And last of all, although this aspect is not judged, don't use the topic word as your entry's title alone. In other words, don't call an entry "Making Ends Meet" in the "Making Ends Meet" Challenge. This is purely to avoid confusion for the judges when rating entries (because they are all anonymous) and for me when I am finalizing the Challenge.

Hope that helps.

Love, Deb

PleasantLady215
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby PleasantLady215 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 pm

Deb - Thanks for answering me so quickly. I thought that was the case but wanted to make sure. :thankssign

PleasantLady215
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby PleasantLady215 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Deb, I posted the following on December 5th and never received an answer. Could you please let me know about the articles after they are submitted to a Challenge or Blog contest? Can they be posted with the "Free to Share" articles or on another site? If it is in the rules, I couldn't find it. I did read about the ones that were selected for the Editor's Choice Awards, and any that may be published by Faithwriters, but what about the others?

(It was in a different Forum)

Thanks
Linda

Postby PleasantLady215 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 am

I am new at the writing contests and have a couple of questions. The answers may be obvious but I want to make sure I am following all the rules. The first question is this - when I post an article for either the blog or the weekly writing challenge - is there a particular rule about whether the article should be listed as "for sale" or in another category?

The second question is this - After submitting an article for one of the contests can it be posted anywhere else (at the same time)?

Thanks so much. I am really enjoying the challenges - and the truly are challenges!!

glorybee

Postby glorybee » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:25 am

PleasantLady215 wrote:Deb, I posted the following on December 5th and never received an answer. Could you please let me know about the articles after they are submitted to a Challenge or Blog contest? Can they be posted with the "Free to Share" articles or on another site? If it is in the rules, I couldn't find it. I did read about the ones that were selected for the Editor's Choice Awards, and any that may be published by Faithwriters, but what about the others?

(It was in a different Forum)

Thanks
Linda

Postby PleasantLady215 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 am

I am new at the writing contests and have a couple of questions. The answers may be obvious but I want to make sure I am following all the rules. The first question is this - when I post an article for either the blog or the weekly writing challenge - is there a particular rule about whether the article should be listed as "for sale" or in another category?

The second question is this - After submitting an article for one of the contests can it be posted anywhere else (at the same time)?

Thanks so much. I am really enjoying the challenges - and the truly are challenges!!

There are no rules about what category to enter your articles in; it's entirely up to you.

The contest articles belong to you, and you may enter them anywhere else. For the Weekly Challenge, please wait until the results for the week you entered it have been made public, so that it remains safely anonymous (in the off chance that the judges might run across it elsewhere).
Jan Ackerson

DustBSH
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Postby DustBSH » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:32 am

Thanks. Very helpful advice.
It makes me look at the challenge in a different way.
Blessings

Deb Porter

Postby Deb Porter » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Glad they helped. :D

Love, DEb

Previous

Return to Rules, Ratings, Judges and Official Info