Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

ChrisStachura
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Using a Pen Name

Post by ChrisStachura »

Hi,

I've never written on the forums before, because: a) I have a hard time with new situations, even among other Christians and friends, and b) I had a hard time getting my new login to work here!

My question has to do with whether or not we can use a pen name to write our Page Turner non-fiction books. My idea is very personal, and has to do with my relationship with my sister over the years. I don't want to hurt anyone, and she is still alive. It is something which, if written, may help many people.

If using a pen name isn't possible, is it okay to change the names of the people in the book and then put a note at the beginning of the book saying the names have been changed to protect those still living or something to that effect?

The guidelines do not mention any of this :book2 , and so I'm turning to y'all for help. What do you think? :?:

Thank you,
Chris
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
--James 1:17
RedBaron

Re: Using a Pen Name

Post by RedBaron »

I would think it would be very possible to use a pen name. But I'd be sure to ask Deb to make 100%, but I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I think some people have even registered at FW with their pen names.

It is best to change names when writing anything true, unless you have permission from all the people involved. So I'd suggest just changing all the names, even if the people are no longer alive.
Last edited by RedBaron on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
ChrisStachura
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by ChrisStachura »

Shari,

Thank you! I'll be sure to ask Deb. And, I hadn't realized that when about writing something true, it's best to change all the names, whether living or not, so you helped me twice!

(It's good to step out in faith - get it? FaithWriters? lol)

:thankssign
Chris

" For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." Jer. 29:11 NLT
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

I think there might be a place on the form for a pen name when you submit your entry. Generally publishers ask for both your real name (so they know who you are) and your pen name (which would be displayed in public).

There isn't a law about not using real names. I think it can be perfectly fine under some circumstances to use real names. Personally, in general I wouldn't worry about it unless it's something that could be called libel or slander, except in this case when it's such a sensitive topic then I agree with you that changing names would be a good idea.
Amy Michelle Wiley
Check out my booklet, Bring Your Writing to Life: a writer's guide to "show; don't tell". Buy it here.
My Website, Sparrow's Flight
ChrisStachura
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)
Pencil 1 (1-49 Posts)

Post by ChrisStachura »

Hi Amy,

It's good to know there might be a space on the form for pen names.

Yeah, I think it's best to change all the names, because of how things might be misunderstood or misread, because of - like you said - the sensitive nature of the subject matter.

Thanks for responding! Sorry it took me so long to reply back, but I got confused between yours and Shari's answer. I think it was from sleep deprivation and general brain fog. lol

-Chris

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”