Page Turner 2009 Roll Call

Discussion for Platinum members about the current Page Turner Writing Contest

Moderators: RedBaron, RedBaron, RedBaron

Are you entering?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:52 am

Unless God takes me home first, I'm in!
48%
Probably, so long as my first chapter doesn't stink on ice.
34%
Maybe, if God strikes me with a workable idea before then.
17%
Probably not; fiction isn't my forte.
No votes
No, unless God uses tablets of stone to command me to enter.
No votes

Total votes: 29

Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Page Turner 2009 Roll Call

Post by Hoomi »

Okay; so who's planning on entering the Page Turner Fiction contest this year?

Or would it be better to NOT say, so we don't have so much tendency to dread the competition?
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
Deb Porter
FaithWriters and Site Admin

Post by Deb Porter »

LOL ... no fear! Let the roll call begin.

We actually have our first entry already, but there was a problem with the file they uploaded, so I'm trying to contact them now to get them to send it through to me.

I'll be checking the files as they come in this year, as we had a couple of glitches last year -- including the 2008 Page Turner winner's file. I just don't want to have any last minute panics.

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

Writetrack
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)
Pencil 5 (200-299 Posts)

Post by Writetrack »

I'm definitely in (not yet, but I will be). I'll be entering the first chapter from a Women's Fiction manuscript I'm working on. I wouldn't miss this awesome opportunity for anything!
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

I picked maybe - but not because I don't have an idea! I have THREE ideas, one of which is the the one I PLAN to work on. Emphasis on PLAN .

The thing is, I have a deadline on my current non-fiction manuscript - need to have it Deb-edit ready before December so I can redeem my half-priced editing. Right now I'm at about 30 k of VERY VERY rough draft. So, if I am able to get it looking right (in my eyes, anyway!), I'll start working on my fiction one with an aim to entering. If not, I'll work on it when I can.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
GShuler
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by GShuler »

I still have the untapped idea for my NaNo fiasco. Not one word done... how embarrassing. But, with the same desire and MULTIPLIED effort, I am determined to do this one because the idea for the book is worth doing. It's a period story set in the Dark Ages. I'm hoping kids will put down Harry Potter and pick up this series of books.

Now, I need to get to work on the first word of the book.
I had something really memorable to write here but I forgot what it was.
Gerald Shuler
Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

I'm going to get my entry ready probably over the next month and get it in.
“It is the artist who realizes that there is a supreme force above him and works gladly away as a small apprentice under God's heaven.” ~ Alexandr Solzhenitsyn
Deb Porter

Post by Deb Porter »

itsjoanne wrote:The thing is, I have a deadline on my current non-fiction manuscript - need to have it Deb-edit ready before December so I can redeem my half-priced editing.
LOL ... slow down, hon. The deadline for editing is just for Cori. That's so I don't have more than one free contest prize on the books for the year. I think I can sort of claim the real value of the free editing on my tax as being for promotional/advertising purposes (which it most definitely was). So that's why I want to keep it to just the one a year.

BUT for the runners up, the half price editing doesn't have to be rushed (although don't go snoozing on that manuscript, either). :mrgreen:

Love, Deb
Deb
FaithWriters' Writing Challenge Co-ordinator
Breath of Fresh Air Press

Breath of Fresh Air Press - a little publisher with a lot of heart

ThreeDee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by ThreeDee »

Well, I'm planning on being in. I'm working through the beginning stages right now, character sketches and the like, but my boys like the ideas (or they're at least showing interest, which any mom loves) and the plotline is floating around and not floating away.

I'm excited and anxious. It's a HUGE goal to attain (as I've never finished anything like this before). I'm just praying, praying, praying and then squeezing every minute of writing I can into my day.

Gulp, I have to compete against the likes of Rick, Joanne, Lynda????????? (fear, trembling, etc.)

Di Dart
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I'm planning on it and hope to not leave it till the very last minute like last year! lol
<><
Shari
FW 500 Member

"...hunt like a spider..." Cori - FW Con '07
South-paw-Scribbler
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by South-paw-Scribbler »

I voted 'yes' but after seeing who is entering... well... :shock:

I've got my nano novel still cooking and would like to get it done.

YIKES!! :redface2
Karlene :book2

Thanking God every day for you.,
Karls
Book & Film reviews, devotionals, etc...
Undaunted Devotion
Helping my fiction friends find their Legacy

Chely
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Chely »

If it all comes together, then yes!

:D
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

BreathFreshAir wrote:
itsjoanne wrote:The thing is, I have a deadline on my current non-fiction manuscript - need to have it Deb-edit ready before December so I can redeem my half-priced editing.
LOL ... slow down, hon. The deadline for editing is just for Cori. That's so I don't have more than one free contest prize on the books for the year. I think I can sort of claim the real value of the free editing on my tax as being for promotional/advertising purposes (which it most definitely was). So that's why I want to keep it to just the one a year.

BUT for the runners up, the half price editing doesn't have to be rushed (although don't go snoozing on that manuscript, either). :mrgreen:

Love, Deb
But DDEEEBBBBB!!! I NEED that deadline!!!!! I MAY just pretend you didn't say that. Lalalala la LAAAALLAAA -I can't HEAR you!! :D
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
itsjoanne

Post by itsjoanne »

ThreeDee wrote:Well, I'm planning on being in. I'm working through the beginning stages right now, character sketches and the like, but my boys like the ideas (or they're at least showing interest, which any mom loves) and the plotline is floating around and not floating away.

I'm excited and anxious. It's a HUGE goal to attain (as I've never finished anything like this before). I'm just praying, praying, praying and then squeezing every minute of writing I can into my day.

Gulp, I have to compete against the likes of Rick, Joanne, Lynda????????? (fear, trembling, etc.)

Di Dart
You guys are SOOOOO funny! Don't EVEN be scared of competing against me! EVEN! I have NEVER written anything fictional longer than a couple thousand words (EVER!) and I seriously wonder if I'd be able to carry a story long enough to make a decent novel. But I GOTTA try.

(and I'm still pretending I have that deadline! LOL)
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook
Hoomi
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by Hoomi »

ThreeDee wrote: Gulp, I have to compete against the likes of Rick, Joanne, Lynda????????? (fear, trembling, etc.)

Di Dart
Hey, I didn't even place in the last Fiction Page Turner contest...

(but I am hoping to do better this time...)

With this competition, one of the biggest things that counts is how well your story grabs the judges' attention. With that, there's always a bit of subjectiveness to the judging, so it's not so much about how we think our writing stacks up against someone else's, but rather how much the judges find themselves wanting to read the rest of the story.

Even without seeing any of it, I can't make any bets on whether your story is going to appeal to the judges more than mine will, or more than Joanne's will, or Lynda's, or anyone else's.

I don't think I've ever found more encouraging competitions than we have here at Faithwriters. Everyone here seems far more interested in helping other writers to succeed, rather than backstabbing for a win.

Here, we find our "competition" is just as likely to be our "cheerleaders".
ThreeDee
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)
Pencil 2 (50-99 Posts)

Post by ThreeDee »

Hoomi wrote: I don't think I've ever found more encouraging competitions than we have here at Faithwriters. Everyone here seems far more interested in helping other writers to succeed, rather than backstabbing for a win.

Here, we find our "competition" is just as likely to be our "cheerleaders".
Can I hear a YEAH and an AMEN? I'm so new to all of this "putting my writing out there" stuff, but I figure that submitting my story to Faithwriters is a fabulous starting point, based on exactly what you said Hoomi.

Sometimes I walk through the bookstore and get sooooo intimidated by all of the "competition" out there. I try to remember that it's not about being the best seller, but about being the best writer I can be (does that sound like an after-school special theme or what?? but I am sincere). My time here at Faithwriters, entering the challenge, reading all of you guys and gleaning what I can from that has been AMAZING. Here's hoping the Page Turner experience will be as well...

Di Dart

Return to “Page Turner Writing Contest”