Holiday Traditions

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

Shann

Holiday Traditions

Post by Shann » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:52 pm

Do you do something over the holidays that has been passed down through three or more generations?

We always read the Bible Christmas morning before opening gifts. My daughter does it now with her daughters. We eat cinnamon rolls and after reading the Bible, open one gift at a time. Even though there were years when we couldn't afford a lot, Christmas morning would last for hours. Kids couldn't peek under tree until everyone was awake. Then between reading Bible and opening gifts one at a time, the morning lasted longer and the kids really appreciated everything, often more eager to have their presents (that they bought with own money) opened then they were to open their presents.

We also would wrap Baby Jesus in nativity scene and unwrap him Christmas morning.

Last we had a rule that if you were caught snooping around for your present before Christmas, it might very well get donated to someone who didn't have presents or needed clothes. Likewise, if you said you didn't like something or was unappreciative or rude, then that present would go to someone who would appreciate it. We didn't do it to be mean, but to help kids understand how words or indifference can hurt someone's feelings and that many kids didn't get any presents at all. I don't think my kids ever needed that lesson reinforced. No matter how hard things were at home, we always bought something for a needy family.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Re: Holiday Traditions

Post by deejay » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:42 pm

In my family, though I have no idea how long it's been in my family, we opened one gift on Christmas Eve, the rest on Christmas Day. When we were kids, mom and dad told us if we tried to figure out what our presents were, they would turn into rotten potatoes. One year I happened to move the curtain in the dining room window, and saw two umbrellas, one blue, one red, in gift wrap tubes hanging from the edge of the window sill. I knew one was for me and the other was for my younger sister. I don't remember telling my sister about it, but on Christmas we had to act surprised when mom and dad brought them to us. But I did manage to keep my mouth shut about it.

Shann

Re: Holiday Traditions

Post by Shann » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:23 am

My kids were told if they were caught snooping, the present might be given to someone in need! We also taught them at a very young age if they complained or said anything negative about a gift, it would be given to someone who would appreciate it. They may not have been thrilled about getting underwear for Christmas, but they never complained!

Actually underwear led to another tradition. As a little girl, I remember being bummed that New Year's Eve was so boring. I used to wish Santa would come and leave me that gift that he'd forgotten. While I never hyped up Santa to my kids, they would leave presents under tree so grandparents could visit and see their gifts. One year, I worked evening shift and a co-worker gave me a pack of underwear for my daughter (they were too small for hers). When I got home at midnight, I placed underwear under the tree. On New Year's Day, M found them and was so excited. She was 4 or 5.Of course there are wonderful sales after Christmas so each year, I'd buy something little that I got on sale and slipped it with their other presents. It took about 5 years before they started to look for New Year's presents. And they'd be so excited. It became a fun tradition.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

Return to “The Water Cooler”