Howya doin'

The perfect place for general chat (non-writing related). Please, no political discussions.

Moderators: RedBaron, cori67, Shann

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Howya doin'

Post by dub » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:51 am

A check in for the few left on FW boards. Post a hello, or how you feel - physically or mentally. Sort of a meet on the street and see a friend. "Hey, howya doin'?" Whatcha writen'? Read any good books lately? - You know, that kind of stuff. Chatter.
"Here I am Lord, send me."

itsjoanne

Re: Howya doin'

Post by itsjoanne » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:11 pm

Hiya! Doing well for the most part. Life is STARTING to get back to normal.
Joanne Sher
FaithWriters Writing Challenge Coordinator
FaithWriters Blogger
FaithWriters Blog
My Profile
My Site
Me on Facebook

Shann

Post by Shann » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm hanging in there. I've some editing work I need to get to. I also am going to need to have shoulder replacement surgery next month so am nervous about that. I've been reading a lot lately. Right now I'm rereading my favorite series--Harry Potter.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:31 pm

Been plugging away at writing more essays; just finished a longer Novella; kinda in-between - hip replacement coming up - don't get old.

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:41 am

Hi everyone.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Oh Dub, I can relate. I need shoulder replacement in both shoulders. Having my first done on July 13. Thankfully he agreed to do a partial replacement because I'm only in my 50s. I'm still nervous about it though. When is your surgery?
Shann

Shann's Profile

Sometimes God calms the storm; Sometimes He lets the storm rage and calms His child

deejay
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)
Pencil Plus (Over 500 Posts)

Post by deejay » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:53 pm

I decided to respond to anti-goverment posts on Facebook, even though my brother--who came to
Christ before I did and was an influence in my getting saved--is posting hate-filled, anti-government rants. I was surprised when he liked one. but a little while ago, he messaged me with since I'm a pro-Trump so-and-so, he's unfriended me. And blocked me on Messenger. You know what? I don't need his approval--he left Christ years ago--so he's made his bed, he's going to lie in it. I just hope he read a post by one of his Army buddies that was everything I wanted to say but couldn't. It's very pro-American. Since Steve has been enamored of Russians since he was a teen, perhaps he should go live with them. Right?

In other news, we're being tested for the coronavirus every 2 weeks, and so far, we have all come back negative.

Shann

Post by Shann » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm

I'm glad to hear you've been able to keep safe Deejay.
Shann

Shann's Profile

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 am

Hello -

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:32 pm

Howdy.
Shann

Shann's Profile

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:43 am

Happy Saturday to y'all.

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:04 pm

hey :o

Shann

Post by Shann » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Have a good week!
Shann

Shann's Profile

dub
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)
Pencil 3 (100-149 Posts)

Post by dub » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:40 pm

Hi - there's a thought - anyway I got a warning from InKitt.com that readers preferred shorter chapters - I assume that means electronic on the web page, anyway. As an essay writer this is no big deal, except when putting together a novel, what would be 40 chapters for a total of 70K words is now 80-100 chapters for the same words. Additionally, what I have found, is that the readers also prefer stories to be less than 40K or less in length. Ideally, the reader prefers stories in the 20-30K range. Note, most of the readers are young readers. Could it be that we have programmed readers, in this day of capsized news, to expect full stories in bite size chunks. The last three items I have put up on line are just that, 1k chapters, and only a couple dozen. As a result my reviews have improved.

Shann

Post by Shann » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:10 am

People are definitely fussier,what with a new story or book just a click away. One of the things I've been told I do best in editing is to tighten writing without losing author's voice. I'd be happy to look at a few chapters and give you my opinion, although my shoulder surgery is coming up fast so it would have to be after I'm recovered enough so mind is clearer and I can hold my tablet.

I still enjoy long books (I reread Harry Potter every year or so and they are long books. I just finished them again and felt sad I got through them so fast. After that. I read a book that only took a couple hours to read and again felt sad.) I think in this busy world people do tend to like shorter pieces, especially e-books, but there's still hope for those who write long books. Although you may want a good editor to help you tighten it up some (sometimes simpler is better) and maybe make chapters a bit smaller. :book2 :book2

Also my favorite genre is YA and that is definitely a shorter book than an adult suspense, so that may be part of it. Not so much that they like them shorter, but succinct enough to get through in no more than one or two sittings.
Shann

Shann's Profile

Return to “The Water Cooler”